Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Question I need help with a 1911 barrel

Long story short, my original 1911 barrel had a burr on the breech end (where the ammo rides up in). Well because of that it was pushing my hollow point rounds down into the casing. Obviously that is bad.

I ordered a new barrel online and I got it today. It looks great but I guess I didn't catch the fact that there was no link and pin where the slide stop goes through. Here is a picture I snapped with my iPhone on my work bench, sorry for the poor quality, but you get the point. The top one is my old barrel, the bottom one is the new one.

The problem is the new barrel does not have a pin or link to hold the slide lock into place. I tried like hell to punch the old one out and use it, but had no luck

Is there something I am missing? I would imagine it has to come out somehow. Do I have to order a new link and pin?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: I need help with a 1911 barrel

Make use of your stove/oven...

Heat the old barrel up to about 200-400'F, then while using some good gloves, take it out and drift out the the pin from the old barrel.

If the pin is too big for the new barrel lug, freeze it, and only warm the new barrel to about H2O boiling temps.

After you get it together, keep in mind that you may have to fit the locking lugs on the barrel to the slide.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

It might have been easier to fix the burr on the old barrel to be honest. Have you checked to see if your barrel bushing will fit the new barrel? A new bushing may need to be fitted as well, among other things.

Your best bet is to either polish the old barrel feed ramp and use it.
    Fitting a new barrel is not always a drop in proposition the relation ship to the frame and slide are critical. A friend put in a drop in barrel and cracked the frame. Sometimes spending a little will save a lot.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Westmoreland County)

Unless you have experience fitting a barrel (sounds like you don't). My suggestion would be to have it professionally fitted. 1911 barrels are never drop in. Also, there is a very good chance that you will need a different length link with the new barrel.

If you look for a smith, find one that specializes in 1911's. Alot of people call themselves gunsmiths, but don't know jack about 1911's.

If you want, I can suggest a few good smiths to woek on the 1911.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Bucks County)

Fitting the barrel is one of the most complicated jobs on the 1911. Having said that,your link pin can be driven out with the barrel properly supported and using the right punch.

You need to know that the new barrel fits and functions properly. There are inspections that a 1911 gunsmith will do that check fit and function. A poorly fitted barrel may work for a while but will fail quickly.

I'm not in your area, but you can send it to me (or drive it over yourself) with the old barrel- I can probably solve your feed problems and repair your old barrel.

If you attempt fitting on the new barrel, the manufacturer will probably not take it back.