Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default HK-21 owners...suggestions?

When I move back to PA (currently active duty Army) I'm going to start purchasing NFA items. I've held off thus far because I've been moving around a lot. For my first NFA firearm I'd like to purchase a belt fed. From everything I see the only "somewhat" affordable route to get into a 5.56 belt fed is to pick up a DIAS/LL/RR M-16 and then find a Shrike upper. I don't really have much of a desire for a 5.56 belt fed though. I'm definitely wanting a 7.62mm. This purchase will be a few years out but I'm considering getting a semi HK-21 now and then picking up a sear pack when I get back to PA. I'm pretty familiar with the M60 but don't want to spend +/- 25K right up front. With the HK I can get the rifle and then the sear pack...spreading out the spending and keeping my wife from killing me before I get one round down range. My question is are there any HK-21 owners here and how well do they hold up over time. I know they're typically more accurate than other GPMG's because they fire from a closed bolt, but have you had any issues with cookoffs? What are some higher wear parts I should purchase as spares? Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

CMS

(Northampton County)

Default Re: HK-21 owners...suggestions?

M1919 would be cheaper, and spare parts are much cheaper. Can also shoot various calibers, including cheap ones.

(Armstrong County)

Yeah i agree with ungawa.
    Youre looking at ~$9k+ for a LL/RDIAS/RR and from the last few i have seen on Sturm and Subguns, around ~$7-9k for a Shrike.

1919 kits around $15K if you look around and have some patiance.
    calibers of 30-06, 308, 7.26x54R, 8mm

Too bad no PKMs are transferable

(Centre County)

You might want to try to PM the user HK51 on here. He had/is selling/was selling a sear host hk21 on the board back in Jan. He would be able to give you some more info on the platform and other needs for it.

Here's his sales ad http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/86...fed-308-a.html

Realistically ungawa and Nate are correct. A 1919 would be a much better financial decision though you're going to pay for it up front. You can start getting all the extra parts now though if you want to help spread the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Bucks County)

When I was in the market for an HK21, everyone I knew in the NFA game tried to talk me out of it, knowing that I tend to shoot my guns a lot. Do some research and you'll find a lot of info about various host gun problems and issues ranging from feeding to barrel life. That's notto say that you can't get a good one, but it's really a crap shoot.

if you want a beltfed to shoot and beat the crap out of, and have it just keep going, pick up a 1919. I've seen them as low as $12K, so figure $15K for complete gun with accessories such as tripod, spare barrels, different calibers, links, etc.

If you like to tinker and have another 10 or 15K to spend, get an M60 and a E4 setup, plus spare parts. A friend of mine brings his along to every shoot we have (about 4x/year) and we put 10-20 belts through it before it breaks, almost every time. It's always been a relatively simple fix, but he carries lots of spare parts and knows the gun inside-out.

(Armstrong County)