Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Bad Experiences @ Trops ?

Anybody else have bad experiences at Trops gun shop with their personel not being congenial and not very helpfull. I just am curious and want to rule out whether its just me.
    I returned brass because all were bad, I mean every piece)(primer holes way off). I E-mailed them: they said I could return: when returned, snide comment between 2 personel in the back "Is that the man". But no conversation to me, and personel giving my money back placed whole bag back on shelf without asking me why a return etc...Some other poor reloader will suffer.
    Thats just one instance, I think unless your in like some sort of High School click with them, your not valuable.
    Just enquiring, not trying to stir anything up.

(York County)

Default Re: Bad Experiences @ Trops ?

It doesn't sound like they handled your return properly. If it were me though I would have contacted the manufacturer about the defect instead of the shop. Which brass is it? So I don't buy it.

I agree not everyone there is warm and fuzzy, I can think of one guy in particular, who I will keep to myself. Most of the guys in there are nice to me though. I'm not a regular, been there less than 10 times. I can understand somewhat that some those guys aren't all smiles, try going there one a busy saturday and just watch some of the stupid people they deal with. I almost always go on a weekday and not during the after work rush, when the atmosphere is more relaxed. I will continue to shop untill I experience bad service personally.

I have only been in there a twice but both times I was there I got friendly and helpful inquiries. The first time I was in there I was just window shopping and told them that and the one guy still hung around to help.

(Schuylkill County)

It's hard to tell. Forgive me for not believing, but we have seen enough smear/bad info posts on businesses in here to take things that simple. The OP just joined yesterday, and his only post is this one. No introductions and no past history...

Maybe it is warranted and is correct. But again, past history on here leads one to infer otherwise.

Just saying...
    III%

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    It's hard to tell. Forgive me for not believing, but we have seen enough smear/bad info posts on businesses in here to take things that simple. The OP just joined yesterday, and his only post is this one. No introductions and no past history...

Maybe it is warranted and is correct. But again, past history on here leads one to infer otherwise.

Just saying...
    True, I sorta doubt he would have joined and posted his experience if it was pleasant. For the most part, I will shop somewhere untill I experience or witness bad treatment first hand.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtsgsxr6 View Post
    True, I sorta doubt he would have joined and posted his experience if it was pleasant. For the most part, I will shop somewhere untill I experience or witness bad treatment first hand.
    As sometimes is warranted. One opinion can give you a base to go upon, but does not necessarily represent the majority. Unless there are numerous different negative/positive opinions, in which case, the outcome can be pretty much conclusive. However, when there is just one or two negative/positive comments, as long as you have no problem with that place, give it positive feedback, and continue going there. That's all we can do. The feedback system on here is not 100% full-proof, but it definitely gives a good base for opinions and reputation.
    III%

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the feedback. I don't visit there everyweek but at least once a month, and get helpfull service about 1/2 the time. And of course this is of one mans opinion.
    It was Winchester brass .308. All 20 pieces bad. Contrast that to 50 piece bag I got @ Cabelas and 10 of the 50 Bad. Now I don't expect match quality brass but concentricity needs to be close. Trops told me in the e-mail they break down the manufacturers bags into smaller lots(the price shows it).This suggests to me, lets pick good and bad, the odds don't add up all bad.

Thanks for listening

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post

Just saying...
    I've had mixed experiences at Trop. I've bought a few guns from them over the years. But these days I only try to buy factory ammo or targets if I stop in at all.

Kinsey's is right on the other side of 30, not 2 minutes away and is generally better on price and definitely on customer service. Selection between the two is different, but mostly comparable. I've never had a bad experience with Kinsey.

My favorite bad experience in a gun shop was Trop's. My ladyfriend and myself went in, I was looking for a new handgun I believe. I ask to see some gun or another. Guy behind the counter hands me the pistol, and a lollipop to my ladyfriend. To her credit, she politely thanked him. I was personally wondering if she'd jump the counter and start beating the guy with the Baby Eagle that she was carrying at the time. I immediately handed the pistol back before starting to hysterically laugh.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

They've been around a while. I bought a Colt 38 from them when they were still "Tropical Treat", over on the old road in 1967. Things do change through the years, but I have never recieved "BAD" service there. Occasionally, I find indifference, but generally fair-to-middlin'.

A couple of years ago, it took me all of ten minutes to go in, pick up an Armalite AR-7, buy it and be out the door. Two years ago, I bought a Sigma and it took me fifteen minutes to get waited on, with three employees standing benind the handgun counter slinging BS at each other by the shovelful. If there had beeen another 9mm AF model within a day's journey, I would not have waited there.

But your observation about not being there in "rush-hour" is right.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Lackawanna County)

I've been there a few times...generally friendly, sometimes they can seem like, eh, it's a job. I think I'd rather have the ordinary joe having an ordinary day than the smug, overeager preppies from some of the big stores.

Kinsey's I'll have to find next time I'm down there...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast