Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Laserlyte laser on a SIG

Has anybody put one of the Laserlyte lasers on a SIG 220? My daughter just picked up the 220 w/22lr conversion the other week (she really wanted her own 22 so this is what she came home with!) and I was thinking of putting a laser on it to help her with aiming.
    It's a 2008 vintage so it has the rail underneath, and she is changing the grips so a laser grip is out.
    Thanks
    Ray

(York County)

Default Re: Laserlyte laser on a SIG

I havent heard to many good things about laserlyte. My friend has one and it automatically turns on and off when the slide is racked or it's fired. I would try looking into the laser that replaces the slide spring or go with a crimson trace. Some of the crimson trace models mount on the rail instead of replacing the grips.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Montgomery County)

If your daughter is new to shooting a laser will actually be counter productive for her. The basics of handgun marksmanship are trigger control, sight picture and grip. If you throw a laser in there she either has to be concerned about "laser orientation" or she disregards sight picture. A good strong foundation of basics is what any novice should be practicing.

I question the usefulness and effectiveness of lasers. When a laser is used the tried and true principle of focusing on the front sight is distracted by the laser dot. The focal point for good results should be the front sight, which is at arms length. A laser on a target, even at 7 meters changes that focal point to that point, away from where it is supposed to be. In my opinion, the only lasers worth a damn are the IR lasers to be used with NVG's. When it comes to defensive handgunning you would be better served by buying a tritium front sight.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Blair County)

I agree lasers arent for the untrained. You need to be able to walk before you can run. Lasers suck during bright light situations. Lasers suck if you arent instinctual at pointing.

BUT

Once you know what your doing, getting a high quality laser (crimson trace grips are the only ones) has several advantages. and only one real disadvantage, making your gun 1/4 inch wider at one point. You will never get pinpoint accuracy with a sig front sight. My targets are 10" black circles. at 25 yards my front sight covers the entire circle. My laser however is only about a 1/4" dot in the 10x ring. It is sighted in for 25 meters, the laser is off axis with the barrel by less then 1 inch, so within that 25 meters it is impossible to miss by more then 1 inch if you can hold still. same out to 50 meters just 1 inch the opposite way. I have had mine for 3 years and havent needed batteries and havent had to rezero at all after over 5k rounds. It is funny when I meet someone at the range who has a hard time grouping. I hand them my gun and when they go to shoot it and squeeze the grip they can see the laser dancing all over the paper. Alot of people who think they have steady hands are really surprised when they see it.

(Bucks County)

My thoughts on her using the laser would be to not only show that she isn't really that steady, but also to show here where she is aiming the sights.
    If she's not looking at the sights correctly, (because she always listens to dad) then the shot isn't going where she wanted it to. So I can have her sight in with the sights, then "activate the laser" to actually show her where she's actually aiming before pulling the trigger.
    At least now, with her own gun, we'll be able to practice a lot easier (since she doesn't like to share). And I feel a formal class is in her near future.

(Blair County)

ya know Ill mention another thing that just struck me. It has saved me alot of money in ammo. Have you ever been to the range and shot like shit? You start thinking its the gun and keep shooting to see. Ive noticed many times when I first show up at the range that I am shaky. Sometimes too much coffee. Sometimes low blood sugar because I hate to eat in the morning. But I pretty much know after a mag or two that its not gonna be my day and I pack it up and save the ammo for another time.

Its alot easier to coach my girl too. Instead of trying to stand over her shoulder staring down her sights and making her nervous.

It also doesnt effect sight shooters because if your looking down the sights the front sight blocks out the laser on target anyhow