Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Best first handgun?

Hello.

What would you guys recommend as a first hand gun for a man who has never owned or operated one before?

Bear in mind that this should be a gun that I will use to get comfortable with shooting, handling, cleaning, disassembling, etc. This is in many ways a "trainer" gun.

A few people have recommend some gun that takes a .22 round.

What are your thoughts, opinions, insights, and suggestions?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Best first handgun?

There are several .22's that will serve your purposes. Browning Buckmark, Ruger MarkII, Beretta Neos.

I would also suggest that you get some training, or at least hook up with other people from your area that post on this forum.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(York County)

If the plan is to carry a gun someday I personally wouldn't get a 22. What I would recommend is going to a range that rents guns. And go to town trying them out. As far as caliber (again if carry is an option) I would be looking at in auto 9mm, 40, 45. In revolver 357mag because you can always shot 38's.

Others will be along shortly.

For someone who has never owned, used, cleaned, handled a gun before.... just because this is the easiest to do all the above with. I'd probably choose a Ruger SP 101 in .357 magnum, it also can shoot .38 specials without any additional modification. Or some similar revolver in the same configuration

Because in either caliber, it makes a adequate defensive weapon for either carry or home protection, ease of operation, cleaning, and relatively low cost comapared to auto's initially and in ammo. Resale is also better IMHO than Auto's if you would decide shoting isn't for you.

I wouldn't choose a .22 because of the caliber which kinda limits it to the range only in most configurations. If you feel like driving up to Leb County, I'd be willing to let you try a few different guns to see what feels good for you. (send me a PM) If you have some free time on Saturday we're having a picnic at Jonestown F&G (check the Leb County Section) feel free to stop by I'll be there as well as others and youd be free to try anything I have with me
    Last edited by tdyoung58; April 21st, 2010 at 06:15 PM.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Montgomery County)

Echoing some of the thoughts of others to be sure, I'd recommend you go to a range that has a reasonable selection to rent. If at all possible, I'd go with someone with some experience. I'd fire a revolver and a pistol. Some ranges will require that you first shoot a .22, which probably isn't a bad idea. See which you prefer. On that trip to the range or the next, I'd move up to a larger caliber gun, and see what you think, how it feels, etc.

If you can't go with someone with some experience, I'd suggest making your first trip a lesson as well. It's well worth the money, and will ensure you start off on the right foot, and stay safe.

And, personally, whatever your preference, I'd do tons of research. Read reviews, watch YouTube videos, and ultimately choose a gun that you truly believe you'll trust to defend you, as well as provide lots of fun at the range. Go for something you'll want to hold onto like a merchant's first dollar bill.

For me, that's my CZ-75B. I suspect I'll buy and sell plenty more over time, but that's a keeper. I'll bet you'll hear the same from a lot of people here, though each will have their own preference/favorite.

Keep us posted on how things progress!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Allegheny County)

I would first go to a range get some basic instruction and shoot a couple different calibers.

I would say a .22 as your first gun. Most of the models mentioned are more target type guns. The Sig Mosquito and Walter P22 have similar design to higher caliber defensive pistols.

The reason I say .22 is because of the price of ammo. It will encourage you to shoot more. The more you shoot the more comfortable and accurate you will get.

.22 are mostly for target and not very suitable for defense purposes.

Unless price is no object for you then get whatever you are comfortable with.
    Last edited by QuackXP; May 21st, 2010 at 01:41 AM.

(Centre County)

I'd normaly recommend ruger MKIII, but since it's a bitch to disassemble and reassemble, I guess that's out.

Used wheel gun in 38special or 22 is my recommendation.
    DA wheel gun will teach you how to work the trigger better then any semiauto's
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by stud40111 View Post
    Hello.

What would you guys recommend as a first hand gun for a man who has never owned or operated one before?

Bear in mind that this should be a gun that I will use to get comfortable with shooting, handling, cleaning, disassembling, etc. This is in many ways a "trainer" gun.

A few people have recommend some gun that takes a .22 round.

What are your thoughts, opinions, insights, and suggestions?
    If the gun isn't intended to be used for defense then a .22 is a very good idea. I wish some one would have told me to get a .22 as my first gun. Lots of high quality .22 autos and revolvers can be had for under $300-$400. The best part about .22 is that you can get 550 rounds for about 20 bucks. Most larger caliber pistol use ammo that costs about $20 for a box of 50 (save 9mm).

I'm in York county but I'm about 20 minutes from York proper. If you want I'd take you to the range sometime. I'm exit 38 on 83. if that's not to far for you let me know.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

There is a lot of good advice in this thread. I'll echo the wheel gun in .357/38 or a nice reliable 9 mm with the wheel gun being 1st choice.
    My reasoning being the above rounds can be used for most all situations(HD,SD), the .22 can not. Once you fall in love with the hobby and you realize $15 a box isn't cheap then add the .22. But the number one, single best, most important thing you can do is shoot and finger as many examples you can. If there is one particular example that really tickles your fancy (Sig 229,1911etc.) and you have the means to get it then by all means buy it.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post

. If you feel like driving up to Leb County, I'd be willing to let you try a few different guns to see what feels good for you. (send me a PM) If you have some free time on Saturday we're having a picnic at Jonestown F&G (check the Leb County Section) feel free to stop by I'll be there as well as others and youd be free to try anything I have with me

there might be a few a handguns present.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast