Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Talking Moving into Bethel Park, PA this weekend!

Well, I come from www.ingunowners.com . I am a lifetime hoosier that just took a job in Pittsburgh. My wife is from Bethel Park and now we are moving there to start a new life! I'm a former reserve police officer in Indiana and recent college grad. Through the police dept, I became an AR15 armorer and will be anxiously awaiting the first time I'll get to fire my m16a4 clone in PA!

I hope to learn a lot here and get a membership at a local range. Any ideas? I look forward to learning a lot here.

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: Moving into Bethel Park, PA this weekend!

BP is a great town. I went to High School there , a looong dang time ago. We lived on Shirley Drive off of King School rd. I was just there this weekend. I really like the area. Danny's has the best hoagie in the area, in case you were wondering.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Moving into Bethel Park, PA this weekend!

Welcome! I'm north of the burgh (in Cranberry). If you're looking for people to shoot with let me know. I'm always up for goin to the range!
    I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. *Springfield Armory Bi-Tone XDm-40 3.8*

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Moving into Bethel Park, PA this weekend!

Welcome to PA, I think your going to like it here.

Not sure how busy you will be, If you have some free time, stop on out for the cookout. It would be a great opportunity for you to meet some people and have some delicious food.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-114/9...-together.html

See ya around.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, guys! I'm looking forward to meeting some of you folks. My wife is a 2005 grad of BP high school, so she knows the area well.

Felllow BP'er here. There are several ranges within 20 minutes, I belong to Dormont Mount Lebanon Gun Club.

There is also Carrick Sportmans Club and Library Gun Club.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wally05 View Post
    Any ideas?
    if you like to do practical shooting (which it sounds like you might), meaning practicing drawing and shooting, shooting while moving, etc. etc. (with both pistol and AR), PMSC (www.pmsconline.com) is pretty much heaven.

it's a little bit of a drive from bethel park, but, as far as i know at least, there aren't really any other clubs in pittsburgh that enable one to do practical shooting nearly as well.

there are a bunch of us on PAFOA that are members of PMSC.

and welcome to the greater pittsburgh area!
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

You might want to check out clairton sportmans club also. It's about 5 minutes away from century 3 mall. I am a member there is it's a pretty nice range.

http://www.clairtonsc.org/

(Allegheny County)

wally05...

my one overriding suggestion is just to ask whatever ranges/clubs you are looking at about their rules. specifically, tell them what you want to do and see if their rules allow it.

i used to shoot at a place called "Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club", but it closed a few years ago. after that, i started looking for a new place to shoot in allegheny county. i found a number of nice clubs/ranges, but they all had rules like "no presentations from the holster" or mag limits or "no shooting on the move" etc. which meant they would not work for what i wanted to do. (that is not, of course, to say they are not very nice ranges/clubs, though. they just were not a good fit for me.)

it took me about a year to find a new place to shoot.

just something to keep in mind before committing to join any specific club. there are a number of them around here that are more geared toward sighting in deer rifles, bullseye shooting, trap/skeet/etc. and are very nice for those things, but do not work for IPSC/IDPA practice or self-defense practice because of their rules.

that may or may not be of concern to you.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

wally05,

Welcome to Pittsburgh and to the forum.
    The good news is that there are plenty of clubs to choose from around Pittsburgh depending on how far you want to go and what activities you are into.

LittleRedToyota offered up some good advice already and I thought I'd also mention that we hold a pafoa group shoot at PMSC on the second Sunday of every month. This would be a great way to meet forum members from the area and see what the club has to offer at the same time. Here's a link to the thread for the upcoming shoot: http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...hoot-39-a.html

Also, I'm a member of PMSC, and if the group shoot doesn't fit into your schedule, I could meet up with you and give you a tour. Members are permitted to bring one guest ($5 guest fee), so if you wanted to do any shooting, that wouldn't be a problem either. I'm currently out of work, so my schedule is pretty flexible right now.

Good luck settling in, and if you have any questions about the area, gun clubs/shops, or the forum, just ask.

EM
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast