Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mifflin County)

Default ejection port cover hinge pin

I got a Stag left hannded Upper about 6 months ago. The past few times I took it out I would get about 20 round out of it and the ejection port hinge pin would work its way forward through one of the holes on the barrel nut and he spring spins around and losses it's tention. I called Stag and they told me I had to get a silicon wedge to put between the pin and barrelnut to keep it in place. Not sure if this is happening just because I have a freefloat quad rail. If anyone knows were I could find one of these wedges or if you are having the same problems please let me know. Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: ejection port cover hinge pin

Remove the pin, turn a small, annular groove on the forward end with a lathe and install the same size c-clip as your pin has on the other end.

If the pin slides through the bbl. nut, you can probably do the whole job w/out pulling the bbl.

(Lebanon County)

If you can't do the above mentioned repair you could try some blue locktite. Put ONE drop into the cover where the pin runs thru it. Using the blue is your best bet since it takes less to break the bond if you were to need to disassemble it for some reason.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(York County)

Any chance you can clock the (I am assuming you have a YHM rail or Houge type tube or any type with holes in the back) nut/handguard so the holes don't line up? This just seems like a careless install issue, not a huge deal, just an attention to detail thing.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Mifflin County)

If I turn the barrel nut so the hole doesn't line up with the hinge pin then I will not have a hole to put the gas tube through

(Mercer County)

Mark which hole is lining up with your port cover pin. Remove float tube. Drill and tap marked hole for a set screw. Insert and loctite in an appropriate set screw. Reassemble.

Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Easy Peasy Japaneesey,

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by rnev6 View Post
    If I turn the barrel nut so the hole doesn't line up with the hinge pin then I will not have a hole to put the gas tube through
    Isn't the barrel nut scallops pretty far away from where the pin "should" be retained from? Do you have a rail that bolts to the original barrel nut, or a handguard that replaces the factory nut? Drilling and tapping and putting a setscrew like the other poster said sounds pretty slick. What rail do you have if I might ask?
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Mifflin County)

I don't have the original barrel nut. I got a YHM mid length free float rail. It comes with a barrel nut that the rail screws onto. That set screw idea does sound pretty slick I'm going to have to try it. It beats sticking a piece of silicone in there like the guy from Stag said. this way I don't need to worry about it falling out.