Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default A look at my Kimber Ultra Carry II through the past couple of months

Figured I'd slowly show the process through which my Ultra Carry II has gone since I picked it up in December.
    Background story -
    So after handling the Ultra Carry II I couldn't get over how good the gun felt in my hand. The slide release was something I could get over and by ordering an extended slide release could possibly be overcome. So anyways I decided that at the time I would sell or trade my Glock 19 for the Glock 26 mostly because I didn't want to shell out the extra money for the UC II. I kept my eye open on PAFOA and ended up finding someone looking to sell or trade a UC II w/ night sights and CT grips. He still wanted more then I wanted in the trade but then brought up how is brother had the standard UC II and wanted a Glock 19. Needless to say I ended up trading my Glock 19 w/ 115 round of FMJ and 16 rounds of JHP plus my trimmed up Kholster and $100 cash for a Kimber Ultra Carry II w/ Highnoon IWB holster. All in all I'm extremely happy with how I made out and even in this crappy holster it conceals extremely nicer then my Glock 19.

I also needed a carry belt since my current belt is streching and fairly old so I placed an order for a C5 Leather carry belt and Montana (similar to Milt Sparks VMII) IWB holster, except half the price and only a one month wait. Reviews have said that it is just as comfortable and well made as the VMII. Now I can't wait for them to get here.

Immediatly after purchasing the UC II I decided that I needed to invest in a quality carry set up. That was honestly the best decision I have ever made when it comes to firearm accessories.
    So after reading reviews on 1911forum.com I decided it was time to invest in a high quality leather holster and gun belt. I decided to take the plunge using C5 Leather. He was receiving great reviews and was being compared to Milt Sparks on some of his holsters and coming out neck in neck. Not to mention the wait time is 1/6 of a MS. I placed the order in mid December and just received the holster and belt last night.
    First impressions - Fitment and comfort feel great. I've been carrying my UCII in a Highnoon IWB, which worked, but wasn't the most comfortable or secure IMO holster with my old and worn out American Eagle belt. No longer will I need to have my belt the tightest it can go to ensure that the gun stays close to my body, which is great and makes carrying the weapon a whole hell of a lot more comfortable. As far as the holster it felt 10x more comfortable then my previous broken in Kholster that I had for my Glock 19. Remember this is even before the holster has been broken in. The draw was slightly tight, so right now I'm blocking it to help ensure a snug but smoother draw. Overall I am highly impressed and would recommend the C5 Montana XLT and gun belt to anyone in the market.

Last week I got Meprolight Night Sights installed along with replacing the worn Thumb Safety. Both where a great addition not to mention the night sights finish off the gun in a carry aspect. I also installed new grips.

New Grips - The wood is called Snakewood. They look fantastic in person and there is not a nother set exactly like them in the world which is the cool factor for me. I bought them from SRJim off 1911forum.com who is the owner of The Finer Grain. After patiently waiting I can not wait to be able to install these things. I went with a smooth surface primarily due to CC and the rubber grips would catch my clothing sometimes. I'm hoping with the smooth wood the problem will be solved.
    Anyways here is how the Ultra Carry II sits today. I haven't had a chance to shoot with the wood grips or carry with them, so that verdict is still out on them being used in a day to day basis. Excuse the poor pictures they where taken from my Iphone. So far I've put approx 300 rounds through it and it shoots like a dream. This little Kimber has me hooked on 1911's from now one.

P229- 40 S&W

(Delaware County)

Default Re: A look at my Kimber Ultra Carry II through the past couple of months

Thats a sweet looking pistol my man!! I would LOVE to have a 3in bbl 1911, but everytime I get close to buying one I hear all the reliability horror stories and chicken out. Maybe soon though.......
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: A look at my Kimber Ultra Carry II through the past couple of months

i have a Kimber Ultra CDP II i just got it fires flawless

Firm, proper hold... it works....... it is excellent rapid fire, double tap, it does it all
    i can fire it all day with no problem...

hold it poor/sloppy it jams..

i had a Springfield V16 as my 1st 1911.... IT JAMMED so ther goes the short slide myth....BUT

after a bit of troubleshooting i found it was me and my hold on it
    ............after a summer of practice I never had a problem.

i have seen ppl at the range having problems with their 1911 after trading some pointers they all seem to work...
    the 1911 it is not a gun that you can pull out one handed turn side ways and "gangster fire" it at something
    (slop hold and a 40oz in your other hand) it will jam

Nice looking Gun and setup...
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Montgomery County)

I get rid of the rubber grips or that very reason... the smooth wood grips are GREAT

Remember to change the springs (inner and outer) fairly often... and the entire assembly after 2 (or so) spring changes.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    Thats a sweet looking pistol my man!! I would LOVE to have a 3in bbl 1911, but everytime I get close to buying one I hear all the reliability horror stories and chicken out. Maybe soon though.......
    IMO that's more of an internet legend then anything else. Yes there are those who have issues with their 3" 1911's, however what gun manufacturor hasn't had customer's who have had issues with a weapon. You'll find that more often then not most 3" 1911 owners love the gun. So in my opinion get one, shoot it, and love it.

Anyways thanks for the positive comments everyone. I can finally say that it shoots as good as it looks now. Also here is a better pic of the grips. This is from the guy's website.
    P229- 40 S&W