Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Range Report Wexford SGL

****NOTE 8/30/2013 ****

I used said permit from 2012 twice since my last update, once was the middle of winter and I was the only one there. The other was springtime and the assholes were out and about and I cut my range time short. I did not renew my permit and only make the 40 minute drive to PMSC vs the 15 minute drive to the SGL.

****NOTE 7/15/2012 ****

After some positive reviews now that the new user permit is in effect I have gotten a range permit and have been back. While it's still not as nice as a club and I did notice some minor safety violations (at the pistol bays) it was all an all good. I would still not make this my main place to shoot.

****NOTE 2/20/2011 ****

I have since changed my oppinion about the Wexford SGL in this post.

However I stopped going to the Wexford SGL before the new range permit was put in place. I'm hoping it's getting better.

Original Post Below

After reading some mixed reviews about the Wexford SGL shooting range. I decided to try it out. For a free public access range I though it was pretty good. I was shooting my SW9VE so I can only comment on the pistol stands. I did not shoot any rifles. The backstops on the the 12.5(I Think) where pretty tore up in the center. You might want to take some cardboard with you. One of the last people there did and I used that backstop.

Most of the negativity I think comes from the fact that its public and therefore free and can become crowded and attract a bad element with no range etiquette or firearm handling skills.

I got around this by arriving a little after 9:00 AM on a Monday morning. I was only there to shoot one box of 9mm in 5 round groups taking my time firing each round and checking my targets after each 5 round group. By the time I was hanging by last set of targets one person showed up. We chatted a bit and I swapped him my SW9VE for a .32 Walther PPK for a few rounds. By the time I was checking my last targets (those at the 25 yard length) another shooter had setup a hunting rifle that he looked like he was sighting in and a guy with a Glock was walking to the pistol range. I was out of there.

I shot about 6-9" groups at 12.5 yards not bad for the Sigma and not haveing fired it in a long while. I shot 5 rounds at 25 yards hit one in the circle on a 25 yard pistol target and one on the 8.5x11 paper. At that range with the SW9VE I need some serious practice or a man size target.

I tracked down its location through directions from the SGL's website and google maps. Here are the relevant links.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...cc5f16a16e0b14
    Last edited by QuackXP; June 26th, 2014 at 09:15 PM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Range Report Wexford SGL

I still go to the range simply because it is what I can afford. I have had an issue while being there where everyone yelled clear including the guy who still messed around with his .357 and continued to shot it down range until I made the comment of "what the hell are you doing?"

(Allegheny County)

i shot there for a little less than a year after greater pittsburgh gun club closed and before i discovered practical shooting heaven...also known as PMSC.

it's a good range for static shooting as long as, like you mentioned, you avoid the crowded times.

besides the dangerous idiots issues (which can be avoided by going at the right time as you noted), though, many people find the rules too restrictive. you cannot practice self-defense or "practical" (i.e., gun games) shooting there.

of course, it is sponsored by the game commission and really meant for hunters, so there is no reason to expect to be able to practice self-defense or gun game shooting there.
    F*S=k

(Butler County)

I go there a lot because it's minutes from my house and for the most part have had positive experiences...
    I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. *Springfield Armory Bi-Tone XDm-40 3.8*

(Allegheny County)

Being unemployed a box of 9mm is a bit of a luxury, range fees just add on to that. But it was a decent experience so I think next time I'm back home ill borrow my dad's bolt action .22 and get a brick of ammo. Good thing about being unemployed is I can go at odd hours like 9:00AM Monday morning.

I like what I hear about PMSC epically practical pistol. I'm thinking about joining when I get back to work. Its not exactly an easy drive from Ross Township so I might still pop into Wexford SGL because its close.

Getting a little off topic here. Are there any other clubs significantly closer to Ross Township that have an indoor pistol range?

(Butler County)

I know there's one in Milvalle. I forget the name of it though...
    I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. *Springfield Armory Bi-Tone XDm-40 3.8*

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Getting a little off topic here. Are there any other clubs significantly closer to Ross Township that have an indoor pistol range?
    There's Allegheny Country Rifle Club right in Ross. I belong there and it suits my needs just fine for rifle and indoor & outdoor pistol but be aware that there are several legitimate complaints about it. For example, the rifle range maxes out at 100 yards, you can't move & shoot on the pistol ranges, can't draw from a holster, and it's expensive. All that said, it's 10 minutes from my house and I have the luxury of being able to go at off times so I usually have whatever range I want to myself. The proximity means I can shoot a heckuva lot more than I would if I had to pack up and drive 30-45 minutes each way.

Might be a moot point for right now though as I'm pretty sure membership is closed now and they've started a waiting list.

(Allegheny County)

I should say one that preferably has a indoor pistol range. If the price is right I might get a membership at one close by and PMSC.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I should say one that preferably has a indoor pistol range. If the price is right I might get a membership at one close by and PMSC.
    pmsc is $100 your first year and $60 after that. http://www.pmsconline.com/membership/membership.htm I'm a member and couldn't be happier with it

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BringTheRain403 View Post
    I know there's one in Milvalle. I forget the name of it though...
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, that's the Allegheny County Rifle Club.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast