Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Range Report Wexford SGL

Quote Originally Posted by Paintwerk View Post
    If I carry to the range, essentially I would be breaking this rule, as well as the round capacity rule. What do you guys think? Do those rules not apply for a carry pistol?
    they do apply to a carry pistol. if you carry to the line there, you are breaking the rules.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paintwerk View Post
    I went out there the Saturday before last, and it was pretty busy. I didnt notice any irresponsible or dangerous handling of firearms. However when I was getting some gear out of my car I noticed a plain clothes Game Commission Officer parking discreetly. About 15 minutes later he nailed about 5 or 6 people for having to many rounds in their mags at the pistol range.
    Last time I was there it was a Saturday, near to noon, and at least 20 shooters, probably more than 30. The pistol shooters were trying to adhere to the round limit, but the rifle shooters just kept going. With that many people shooting, you almost can't even yell clear. Eventually the pistol shooters reloaded, and it'd be a half hour, maybe 45 minutes between breaks. That happens pretty much every time I'm there and there's at least 5 shooters. During this particular time, I also saw one guy using a shotgun, and another guy using a homemade metal frame to hold up targets. The simple safety crap was everywhere, with guns being pointed down the line, shooting gangsta-style, loading while people were checking targets, etc, etc.

(Lawrence County)

I went there once, it was busier than heck... Only 2 of the rifle stand were open, the ones not under the roof, and it took forever to get to the pistol range... PGC guy was telling me he didn't like my rapid-fire and asked if I even hit the target. I told him I shot competitive pistol and they all hit. He laughed when I told him I would set up 2 new targets and we could have a 5 round race... lol

I would go there again. I still need to shoot my new gun, even though Wexford is almost an hour away from my house... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Allegheny County)

It does get annoying how crowded it can be on the weekends, but I'm getting married in October and for now spending the money on range membership would have to come out of my ammo budget so I'll continue to use the game lands.

Once when I was there, a guy fired a round right after everyone yelled clear but other than that safety hasn't been too much of an issue. Just as other have mentioned though I have had to wait 20 minutes or more sometime when I get there just to go hang targets.

(Allegheny County)

Since my first post I have gone three moretimes. The frist two times where a Tuesday and a Wednesday around 10:00 AM and it was the same as before everybody was responsible. But the last time was Friday around noon. My girlfriend was with me shooting and she did pretty good and always practiced good firearms handling as I instructed her earlier at home. However some other guys girlfriend was not as good and was not keeping good muzzle discipline when she missed the target and got frustrated. My girlfriend saw this and noticed that an off duty LEO (she saw a badge) tried to politely correct them and the guy just bitched about people minding there own business. This and some other "wannabe homeboys" that well they kept the gun pointed down range could not hit the broad side of a barn with there shooting skills. But after the first incident we and the off duty LEO packed up and leaved.

I feel a little bad because I left my targets. But a clear to fire had just been called and I did not want to wait around with some of the bad element just to take down my targets. Next time I'm there ill clean up someone else's abandoned targets to appease the range gods.

I'll still go but seems to be earlier in the week and earlier in the day is the best.

(Allegheny County)

I am a fairly new female shooter. I had an Eagle Scout get me started with the basics, read books, talk to gun store owners, but finding classes or an instructor has not been easy. (Can anyone recommend one?) I understand gun safety, know the basic rules of the range but have a ways to go. I am there to learn and practice my shooting skills. I can't help it that I am just getting started, but I am sincere and take shooting seriously.

I go on off hours, because on weekends the people who have attitudes or don't care at all about safety are numerous. Far fewer of those off hours, and I leave if they arrive.

My main comment is that every time I've been there, I've met terrific, skilled shooters, people like those posting on this forum. They strike up conversations, we talk guns. They know I am a new shooter and are not condescending towards me. They respect the fact I am a female taking responsibility for my personal safety, and that my goal is to become skilled shooter. The couple times I have had a problem (my first stove pipe) I felt comfortable enough to ask for help. These guys are so knowledgeable, such competent casual instructors, and as someone who wants to learn but has no one to turn to, I can't say enough about how much I respect and appreciate their generosity in sharing their knowledge with a newbie. There's times I wish I could just ask, "Would you like some extra income giving me private lessons?" To anyone who has been my surrogate big brother, my deep thanks!

So there you go, the opinion of a beginning female shooter at Wexford SGL range. (I hit the target pretty well most of the time, BTW, even if I am not doing tight groups at the center.)

The places to hang targets are really ratty, that's for sure.

(Allegheny County)

brindle - come out to the PAFOA group shoots 2nd Sunday of every month at www.pmsconline.com

There is a basic pistol class being offered there in a few months. PMSC also hosts NRA pistol classes.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    brindle - come out to the PAFOA group shoots 2nd Sunday of every month at www.pmsconline.com

There is a basic pistol class being offered there in a few months. PMSC also hosts NRA pistol classes.
    Do you have to be a member of PMSC? I've heard good things but want to check it out first.

(Allegheny County)

No you do not have to be a member to attend the PAFOA group shoot. All you have to be is a member here on PAFOA and post in the thread that you will be showing up...

The next one is listed here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...hoot-40-a.html
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post

Hey Falcn - Thank you! I will plan to be there. I am very grateful for this tip - invaluable to link up with people who can make sure I learn it all right from the start.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast