Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Hi Standard .22 red dot sight conversion?

Hey guys i have an old style Hi-Standard supermatic citation (1970ish). it currently has an adjustable rear sight that mounts in a perpendicular dovetail similar to that of a rear sight on any glock. i was wondering if anyone knows of a company that makes a picatinny/weaver rail that will mount in that dovetail (i think it is a 3/8 inch) so that i can use a holographic/red dot sight? any input would be great. thanks again, Aaron

(Butler County)

Default Re: Hi Standard .22 red dot sight conversion?

bump it to the top

(Huntingdon County)

I don't know a lot about high standard pistols, so I can only offer limited advice.

1- Get another barrel that is drilled and tapped for use with a cantilever-style mount. Or, get another barrel and have it drilled and tapped.

2- Brownell's sells a High Standard Universal mount. Of course, this depends on having your pistol drilled and tapped to start with. There are probably other similar mounts out there, both higher and lower quality than the one in the link.

3- If you wouldn't mind being confined to the use of a Burris Fastfire/Fastfire II, you could determine exactly what dovetail the rear sight is in, figure out what other pistols use the same dovetail, and see if there is a Fastfire mount made for that pistol.

Personally, I'd probably get another barrel. Gun Parts Corp has them between $90-$120. None of them are shown as being drilled and tapped that I saw, so you'd probably need that done. But, you'd have a pistol with a red dot and the ability to change it back to it's original trim.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by VarmintExpress View Post

3- If you wouldn't mind being confined to the use of a Burris Fastfire/Fastfire II, you could determine exactly what dovetail the rear sight is in, figure out what other pistols use the same dovetail, and see if there is a Fastfire mount made for that pistol.

This is a good idea (rep sent), plus the Fastfire is effing sweet!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Susquehanna County)

Keep your old High Standard as "original" as possible! They have become high $ items.

But with that in mind and especially if you have the "push-button" take-down,
    VarmintExpress's idea of a new barrel with a cantilever scope mount is the best. That way you have the original barrel in its' original configuration.

Check Volquartsen, he used to make a dandy bull barrel for that type HS (I have one) with Weaver Rail drilled tapped and installed. Just be advised that you might need to do some fitting to get the mounting stud to engage correctly.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Talking Weaver-Style Bases

Just got my Trophy and the same question and Google lead me to several answers to considerate:

Option 1 & 2 does not involve gunsmitting, but do require:

Option 3 & 4 requires some gunsmitting, but you will not ruin the original barrel.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Keep your old High Standard as "original" as possible! They have become high $ items.

But with that in mind and especially if you have the "push-button" take-down,
    VarmintExpress's idea of a new barrel with a cantilever scope mount is the best. That way you have the original barrel in its' original configuration.

Check Volquartsen, he used to make a dandy bull barrel for that type HS (I have one) with Weaver Rail drilled tapped and installed. Just be advised that you might need to do some fitting to get the mounting stud to engage correctly.
    Brick is right on it. (Sorry about no Rep-got the spread the love bubble!) The top two in the pic are Volquartsen barrels on High Standards. These two fit all of my High Standards with no issues. Do not overlook a new High Standard barrel as a backup plan. They shoot great, are set for a scope from the factory, cost is not too bad, and are VERY accurate. Good luck.

(Susquehanna County)

Damn it saleen now I have to buy another keyboard! I drooled and slobbered all over the one I had!

High Standards plus a Benelli and a Pardini?

BTW do you have any intel on the new High Standard outfit in Texas?

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Damn it saleen now I have to buy another keyboard! I drooled and slobbered all over the one I had!

High Standards plus a Benelli and a Pardini?

BTW do you have any intel on the new High Standard outfit in Texas?
    God love ya and thanks!

I have looked at and own several TX High Standards. I will probably upset someone but IMHO the best High Standards are being made right now. All now have stainless steel frames and I have never heard of one cracking to date. Everyone I got from TX will shoot well under 1" @ 50 yards with decent ammo, usually SK Std Plus is what I use. Looks wise they are very attractive. I think they are the best quality bargain out there. If you take 5 model 41s and 5 TX High Standards, my money is on the High Standards for accuracy based on my testing. Then add in the High Standards had a MSRP of under $900 the last I checked puts them 100s under the 41. Here is what a new model Victor looks like.

Here is what they shoot like. Now this is 3 different TX pistols.

Oh, and here is one of the Volquartsens to show the High Standards are for real.

(Susquehanna County)

Ha ha! RWS Target Rifle for the Volquartsen bbl! Now that is funny because I found that was the ONLY ammo that feed reliably with my Volquartsen barrel.

In any event if their pistols are good then I'm sure their repair parts and replacements are good also! Nice to know!