Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Rear sight on a S&W 645 .45 ACP

The rear sight on a used S&W 645 .45 ACP I recently acquired is chipped, so I'm looking for suggestions on a replacement.

All I've found online thus far is a choice between a Pachmayr and an LPA target replacement, both adjustable, in the $60 range. That's about all I'd care to spend.

Anyone with experience on either manufacturer's products?

Also, I tapped out the old sight with a punch and was wondering if there were a special tool for installing the new one... or is it just a "be careful not to mark up the new sight when tapping it in" type of deal?

This is the LPA from Midway, only the target model currently available... I'd prefer either the white circle or white block imprinted variation.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Rear sight on a S&W 645 .45 ACP

THere are special tools for replacing/installing sights , they are called sight pushers, but they are pricey- like $120 for a decent one, i usually do what you do, next time instead of using a punch use a wooden dowel it will scratch less.

Nyman

(Montgomery County)

Perhaps a trip over to the Smith and Wesson forum will provide you with better input about the rear sight you are looking for. Someone over there may even have one to sell at a better price. It would be worth a look.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the input, guys.

Definitely a wooden dowel on the install... I didn't mind marking up the old sight knocking it out because it was already damaged and useless, but I obviously want to be careful installing the new one.

I went ahead and found a clearance on the Pachmayr for $40, so I ordered that one.

And a big DUH on me for not thinking about an S&W forum! (slaps forehead)

(Lehigh County)

Just an update, for future 645 inquirers...

The Pachmayr site for the 645/745 (allegedly!) didn't fit.

Either my 645 is nonstandard or the package was mismarked...

Or they expect you to grind about 1/8" off the top of the slide at its extreme rear... the gun does have a sort of spine on the slide that would allow said grinding, without adversely affecting the firearm's operation...

But it's not something I care to do... even if I did have access to a grinder with a magnetic table that would guarantee close tolerance material removal. This ain't a dremel job, as far as I'm concerned.

For some reason, their sight had a large hump which houses the windage screw, and it prevents the sight from sitting flush on the slide... assuming you can even get it on the gun at all, which I doubt, because the screw which holds the upper portion of the sight to the dovetail isn't long enough to make up for the gap, even if you wanted to try and mount the sight as is.

If they had made the upper portion of the sight about 1/8" longer, it might have fit flush, although that would put the blade of the sight back further than the standard sight and just barely out of the way of the hammer.

Sigh...

I sent it back and will now try the $65 LPA offering shown in the first post of this thread.
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; April 22nd, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Steve is right about the S&W Forum but also remember that most sights go in properly only from one side. If memory serves, push out to left and insert from right on S&Ws. Dave_n

(Delaware County)

Novak "Lo-Mounts" are how the arm was designed.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007