Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ruger Mark III couple of questions

I just shot for the 2nd time our new Ruger hunter stainless 22. 2nd time was better after some adjustments to the sight. What a nice gun to shoot!

A couple of things though - the V notched sight with the fiber optic piece - i am having trouble with the V sight as it keeps fuzzing out for me -Any suggestions on a different sight? I may warm up to it but i dont really think so. (or a scope suggestion!)

2nd, as i don't quite get the concept of a semi Auto. My revolvers when empty have the firing pin relaxed. When you finish shooting the the Ruger the bolt stays back (i see you can push the button and it will move forward again to close it) sorry for the bad explanations! Anyway, my husband doesn't like the idea of the firing pin in the ready position so he puts an empty casing in the chamber and pulls the trigger to release it (leaving the casing in for storage). Is this a standard type of practice? Or what do others do at the end of shooting. After cleaning, he also does this.

Thanks for any help

Default Re: Ruger Mark III couple of questions

I have a MK III and leave the "firing pin spring" compressed for storage. I have not noticed any reduction in power since the first time I fired it. If it does eventually wear out, it is easy enough to change out. I would be more concerned with placing empty casings with their relatively sharp edges in the chamber repeatedly. You can buy plastic "snap caps" for the pistol that are safe to drop the pin on as well.
    Jule

(Centre County)

I just to insert an empty shell in chamber of my MKIII, and what a pain that was!
    Since it's perfectly safe to dry fire MKIII, just drop hammer on empty chamber ...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the advice.
    Ace has Ruger days with a Ruger rep there tomorrow so... if I can figure out how to get to the Washington Gun Show and Ace (and not get totally lost) I will go and see what I can learn!

(Monroe County)

Glad to hear you like your Ruger. I ahve the MARK III 22/45 and it's great. I personally just dry fire the pistol to reset everything if that makes sense.

I am not familiar with the type of sights on your pistol but their are plenty of aftermarket parts and you should find something to your liking. I have heard of many people putting red dot type sights on it but never a scope, you'll have to provide pics if this is how you go. Hope you make it to the show and get your questions answered.

(Montgomery County)

I also have the mark 3 hunter with the fiber optic sights. The key to making them work for you is to focus your vision onto the front sight. Everything should be blurry except for the front sight. The little dot (I chose green) is where the bullet will impact when the sights are set properly.

As for dropping the firing pin, this is not necessary. There is no mechanical reason to do such a thing. Furthermore, it is not the safest practice to place empty casings in the weapon to drop the firing pin. Having the firing pin in the rear and cocked position is a perfectly fine way to store the Ruger Mark 3.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I just to insert an empty shell in chamber of my MKIII, and what a pain that was!
    Since it's perfectly safe to dry fire MKIII, just drop hammer on empty chamber ...
    +1. That's how I do it.

As for sights, if the fiber optic really does give you trouble you could always get the adjustable post and notch sights that come on the Target version of the MKIII. I bought a cheapo Tru Glo red dot at Gander Mt for mine. It cost me $30 bucks and I only intended to use it until I could affored something nicer. It works so well I may not replace it. It'll shoot 2 or 3 inch groups offhand at 25 yards, which is fine by me for just plinking. Congrats on a great new pistol!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here