Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Which rifle should daschnoz be saving for?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remington 799, 7.62x39

3 15.79%
  • Savage 10 FCP-K

16 84.21%
    (Cumberland County)

Default Please help me with a decision

I am beginning to save for my next rifle. I have 2 rifles in mind:

1 - Remington 799, 7.62x39
    - Sub-sonic load development with 200-220gr cast lead boolits
    - Groundhog slayer with 110gr bullets
    - Whitetail (maybe) at the right range with the right load
    - Cheap plinking

2 - Savage 10 FCP-K, 308WIN
    - Reach out and touch something - in the same spot; over and over

When voting, please post the reasons for your choice - they may be things I haven't thought about.

Thanks.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Please help me with a decision

Are you going to have a can hanging off the end of either barrel?
    Only reason im asking, you said lead cast bullets for sub-sonic use. I would recommend staying away from lead rounds through a suppressor.

Other than that..... the 308. Easier to find quality ammo, reload quality ammo(brass), can be loaded with 120gr for field rats, and made sub-sonic with 220gr SMKs with very little tinkering with handloads.
    Last edited by Nate7667; April 19th, 2010 at 12:16 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

Haven't shot the 799, but I have shot the Savage and it's a great rifle. Your description pretty much said it best.
    III%

(York County)

I've got a Savage 10FP and love it, the price of ammunition is more than a 7.62x39 rifle, but I feel like it has more uses and can be used for more diverse applications.

I'm not sure about stock options for the 799, although if it is interchangeable with the 700 system then you will have plenty of options for later on. The Savage is slowly gaining more and more stock options, but not quite as many as the 799.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    I've got a Savage 10FP and love it, the price of ammunition is more than a 7.62x39 rifle, but I feel like it has more uses and can be used for more diverse applications.

I'm not sure about stock options for the 799, although if it is interchangeable with the 700 system then you will have plenty of options for later on. The Savage is slowly gaining more and more stock options, but not quite as many as the 799.
    I don't know this 100% for a fact, but I'm pretty sure almost nothing on the 799 is interchangeable with the Remington 700 line. The 799 is based on a modified Mauser 98 action, which many people like over the 700 because it's a controlled feed action. It also means that they most likely have a different footprint, and so the stocks will not be options either. I'd be surprised if all that much is interchangeable. The rifles are actually not made in by Remington or in the US. The actions and barrels are imported into the states and Remington just slaps them in one of their monte carlo stocks, roll stamps them, and puts them out. So your options for other stocks are going to be limited on the 799. Don't make the mistake of thinking just because something is in the 700-799 model numbers, that anything on it is interchangeable with a Remington 700.

To the OP, why is that you're so set on the model 799, or the 7.62x39 chambering, but ok with getting a .308 in the Savage? Is there a reason you specifically wanted the model 10 FCP-K? Do tell, and I'd feel more comfortable offering advice before I knew any of your reasoning.

(Perry County)

I went with the Savage. First the idea of shooting a quiet 200+ grain cast round is Ok, but the Savage can do that just as well. The idea of popping ground hogs is fine, but the Savage will make actually hitting them probable. The 110gr to 220gr weight difference is interesting, but no rifling twist rate will handle both equally well.

The 7.62x39 round is a fine round fpr its intended uses, however, the .308 is faster, generally considered more accurate, and capable, in the Savage, of exceptional performance out to 1,000 yds. The 7.62 is a fun cartridge to pay with, and in a full or even semi-auto weapon is a formidable cartridge up close to mid range. So from the uses you have listed it sounds like the Savage-.308 is a better fit.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks everyone for your input.

I did think about the ability of the 308 to do what the x39 can (and more), but I was thinking sub sonic. The x39 would be a much easier case to work with for this application. BUT, I agree that the 308 would be more useful.

Savage 10 FCP-K it is.

Tomcat088, I chose the 799 because of some shooter reviews I have read on-line. The only other production rifle in x39 that I was able to find is the CZ-527. The reviews of the 799 were better than the reviews of the 527. Overall, it looks like the 799 is a better made gun. I know the reviews are only worth what I paid for them....

As for why I chose the Savage over say a Rem. 700 - Value for the $$$. 24" fluted tube, muzzle brake, detachable box magazine, MSRP, $893 - good luck finding all of that in a Rem. 700 (out of the box) for that price.

As for why I chose THAT particular rifle - I want to get into some longer range shooting (steel and paper - unless SHTF... )
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown