Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default New member looking for advice.

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I've read through the sticky threads and I'm still a little confused with a couple things.

I have a Colt 6920 and I would like to get a short barrel in the 10"-11" range. From reading the stickies I know it needs to be registered as a SBR on a form 4? My main question is do I need to register it as a SBR before getting the barrel or do I have to line up the purchase of the barrel first?

And once its registered as a SBR would it be illegal to have the stock lenght barrel on it?

Also does anyone know of reputable NFA dealers in Delaware/Chester county?

Sorry for the noobish questions, but everybody needs to start somewhere right?

Default Re: New member looking for advice.

You'll need a Form 1 to make a firearm. A Form 4 is for transferring an existing firearm.

You shouldn't have the short barrel until you receive approval. After approval, you'll need to have the lower receiver marked (and you'll need to state exactly what the markings are when you submit the Form 1.)
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by Senater View Post
    Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I've read through the sticky threads and I'm still a little confused with a couple things.

I have a Colt 6920 and I would like to get a short barrel in the 10"-11" range. From reading the stickies I know it needs to be registered as a SBR on a form 4? My main question is do I need to register it as a SBR before getting the barrel or do I have to line up the purchase of the barrel first?

And once its registered as a SBR would it be illegal to have the stock lenght barrel on it?

Sorry for the noobish questions, but everybody needs to start somewhere right?
    After it's a registered SBR you can run any length barrel on it.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: New member looking for advice.

now I'm confused.I thought that once you purchased a ar15 one couldswap out all the uppers one could afford.
    excuse my ignorance what is an SBR?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by tomgun1 View Post
    now I'm confused.I thought that once you purchased a ar15 one couldswap out all the uppers one could afford.
    excuse my ignorance what is an SBR?
    Short-barrel rifle
    III%

(Delaware County)

Ok, I think I got it now, I need a form 1 to register my existing lower as a SBR and after its approved get my name and city, state stamped on the receiver. Correct?

I read that on the form 1 it needs to list exactly what is stamped on the receiver, does that include all markings or just serial # and name/location?

Thanks for the help guys.

A SBR is a short barreled rifle. Without being registered as a SBR I think the barrel has to be at least 16" to be legal. Upper receivers can be swapped around on AR's but you still have to follow Uncle Sam's rules.

(Armstrong County)

Senater, welcome to the site.

You pretty much have it covered for what you need. As far as the info for the markings on the reciever:
    Section 4a: pretty self explanitory
    Section 4b: Short Barrel Rifle or SBR
    Section 4c: put one caliber, do NOT put "multi" (this has no bearing if you switch back and forth from 22LR, 9mm, 223...ect)
    Section 4d: AR15 or what ever you reciever has marked
    Section 4e 4f 4g: pretty simple (for length just measure your lower w/o an upper and add what length upper you want to your measurement. its not super critical)
    Section 4h: if you feel like adding any other info from the reciever put it here.

(Luzerne County)

You will not need an NFA dealer. The Form-1 packet can be ordered from ATF directly and the short barrel upper can be purchased, or our barrel replaced by gunsmith (or yourself if you have the tooling) without NFA dealer involvement.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the replies, I've had the rifle for about a year and a half and lately I've really been wanting to get it out of the "cookie cutter" category, which a 10" barrel will accomplish in my eyes.

I love this gun and we've been through a lot in our short relationship, I got it at the valley forge show last year as a sequential pair, my good friend has the next one off the line. It has been stolen and returned to me(long story). My friend still has not put a round through his but after all I've been through with mine I know I'll always keep it, so mine has seen at least 1000 rds. without a single hiccup. But its definitely time to take it to the next level!

Is there an additional tax stamp for a short barrel or do you just have to prove ownership of a registered SBR?

. . .
    Is there an additional tax stamp for a short barrel or do you just have to prove ownership of a registered SBR?
    A barrel is just a barrel, unless it's under 16" and possessed in conjunction with a Title I (non-NFA) rifle.

If you only own one AR-15, and it's registered as an SBR, you can own any number of short barrels for it. But if you also own other, unregistered rifles and some extra short barrels, then you might possibly be charged with constructive possession of unregistered SBR's. (It's more complicated than that, but if you lack lawful uses for the extra short barrels and they could be used on the unregistered rifles, ATF would like to prosecute. The Supreme Court put limits on that. But don't do it, criminal defense is expensive.)
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast