Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club

Hey everyone I've been passing this club on my way to SGL range at French creek almost every weekend now(since the weather has been tolerable). The club is about ten minutes away from my house and French creek about 45 minutes(this is 7am Saturday time). So it only makes sense to join. Shorter drive=more practice. I've had a membership at a indoor range close to my work in hopes of being able to shoot more. They don't open until 10 which is to late for before work and I really have no time after with a 2 year old and another on the way! Plus I am huge a fan of outdoor shooting and want to meet some experienced local shooters. Anyway anyone with experience with this club? I also saw on the application you need to bring a senior member to the the first tuesday meeting of the month as a reference. Any members here shoot there willing to be my reference for the May meeting? I talked to a employee at insight firearms in jeffersonville who was willing but I did not have my application with me for him to sign, also didn't know he would have to attend the meeting as well at the time. Very nice guy but he only works 1 day a week and it is almost impossible for me to get there by 6 before they close. Great shop though. Pretty much the only place I buy. Thanks to you all in advance.
    Last edited by JLeahy; April 18th, 2010 at 11:48 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club

Lprgc is always welcoming new members. Any one of the Tuesday knights will sponsor you. Just come to the general meeting and come over by the vending machines to find them. Tell them Frank sent you.

(Chester County)

I've been a member for six years. I wouldn't worry about bringing a sponsor: Just go to the meeting a little early, introduce yourself to whoever's there, and you'll probably find any number of active members willing to sponsor you right there.

(Montgomery County)

Great club

we're building a new outdoor range

indoor range. You get a key card and can go early am6:30 or so till late

good club

LPRGC is a good place to shoot . There building a new pistol range 25 yards 5 bay . They have an indoor pistol range as well . Good place to be a member .
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." Thomas Jefferson - Commonplace Book 1774-1776

(Montgomery County)

Join!

Rules are a little tight at the rifle range when unsupervised because they are in a populated area and have to keep it pretty tight (it's not like you are in state game lands, and errant shot can be a disaster).

BUT, they have incredible supervised programs for pistol, rifle, shotgun . . .and the instructors are amazing. In the two pistol courses I did, the instructors actually outnumbered the students. In the carbine course I did today, the student instructor ratio had to be about 2-1.

And they have everything going you would want to participate in, trap, IDPA, CMP, Johnny Appleseed, Military Rifle. It's a terrific club by any measure, but I think especially so because it is in such a populated area.

Like Frank said, just show up, someone will sponsor you on the spot. I'm not a native Philadelphia area guy, I'm a midwesterner, but my sense of the membership there is they are all midwesterners. . . gregarious, friendly and eager to help. If you want to do more with your rifle while unsupervised, go to some state game lands, but by all means join LPRGC!

(Montgomery County)

Its something I'd considered in the past as well. How long are the rifle ranges? What sort of restrictions if any?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post
    Its something I'd considered in the past as well. How long are the rifle ranges? What sort of restrictions if any?

I'm a member there and have been for a couple years, great place. Rifle range is 100yds and indoor pistol is, I believe, 40 yards. Also if I'm not mistaken they are building a "multi-purpose" 200 yard range right now. My hop is that they will use that range to offer more defensive pistol/carbine classes with veteran intructors.

I shot rifle a lot in the past, now I get use out of the indoor pistol range being open until midnight. After my kids go down I will run over for a couple hours on weeknights, usually have the place to myself!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Montgomery County)

PA Traveller,

The rifle range is 100 yards. The new range they are building is purpose built (I think) for pistol so the IDPA events and rifle events do not interfere with each other.

The restrictions are that on the rifle range, unsupervised, you must shoot from the bench. Although this is not much fun, you have to realize the consequences of a shot going over the berm in such a densely populated area are catastrophic, so it's very understandable.

However, despite the unsupervised restrictions, I can attest to the quality of instruction and the fun you'll have at supervised competitions and courses. The carbine course I did today is a case in point. About one instructor for every two-three students, we were doing some fairly quick shooting, and carrying hot rifles slung, but the attention to safety by both the students and instructors made it feel very comfortable.

It's a terrific club. for more adventuresome rifle shooting, unsupervised, you'll have to go to state game lands, but for a club in a densely populated area, you won't find a more exciting place to do supervised shooting or competitions, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    I'm a member there and have been for a couple years, great place. Rifle range is 100yds and indoor pistol is, I believe, 40 yards. Also if I'm not mistaken they are building a "multi-purpose" 200 yard range right now. My hop is that they will use that range to offer more defensive pistol/carbine classes with veteran intructors.

I shot rifle a lot in the past, now I get use out of the indoor pistol range being open until midnight. After my kids go down I will run over for a couple hours on weeknights, usually have the place to myself!
    The indoor range is 50 FT . the New range is going to be 25 yards 5 bay pistol range . The walls havent bin built yet inside .
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." Thomas Jefferson - Commonplace Book 1774-1776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast