Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Taurus PT92 or Beretta 92

I looking for the opinion of someone who owns one of these pistols. I would not use it for daily carry, just fun at the range. Is it accurate, and more important, is it fun the shoot?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Taurus PT92 or Beretta 92

the taurus is just a copy, so get the original.
    it's a full size pistol in 9mm, holds 15rounds or more(have not had mine out in a while). i would not say it is a heavy gun, but it's not a lite weight either.
    i like recoil, so for me it is an uneventful gun...hence not been out in a while.
    accurate enough, not a bullseye gun, but i will not be standing in front of one.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by george58 View Post
    I looking for the opinion of someone who owns one of these pistols. I would not use it for daily carry, just fun at the range. Is it accurate, and more important, is it fun the shoot?
    I love my Beretta 92FS it is a lot of fun at the range and is very accurate. If you are looking to pick between one or the other I would spend the extra $ and go for the Beretta and know that you have reliability. There is a reason why the Army has used it since the 80's. good luck in your search

(Montgomery County)

Go with the PT92 ,when it breaks they will fix for free,and they do break !
    They are fun to shoot!
    That's it

GlockmanGG

(Lancaster County)

I got a Taurus PT99 (same as the PT92 but with adjustable rear sight & decocker) back in 94 or 95 and haven't had a problem yet.
    The only difference is the safety is on the lower, the Beretta is on the slide, and the price.

(Allegheny County)

Beretta, no contest. I love mine.

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

(Centre County)

See I must be the only one who feels PT92 is improvement over original.
    Slide mounted safety is not for everyone. If you have smaller hand, it's almost impossible to operate them slide mounted safety without braking your shooting grip. Or use other hand.
    Now this is fine, as long as your shooting it in controled range, but in combat situation, I can't see this as a good thing.
    With PT92's frame mounted safety, it's simple to operate intuitively, with small hand.

Just that overall quality of PT is not par with Beretta...(so I was told. I never owned one. But I have shot them several occasions in the past, and they shoot about same as Beretta)
    slide mounted safety is one of the reason why I sold my 92 in the past, and reason why I own 96D(no external safety)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Delaware County)

I have a PT 99 that I bought in the 80s. Served me well, no problems. It did a stint as a safe queen in the 90s, but a good cleaning and lube brought it back up. That being said, Taurus seems to have on and off QC issues these days. My experience has been good. YMMV.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(York County)

I also have a pt99. I've had only one stove pipe type of malfunction which I had attributed to the ammo. I have fed it many different types of ammo w/o a huccup. I believe beretta went to the slide mounted safety to satisfy the gov't. With the frame safety there is a small hole in the frame where dirt could get in and in a combat situation this would be bad.

Taurus bought berretta's old equipment when berretta moved to the states so the taurus is made on berretta machinery.

I have found that mind loves hydroshock ammo. It will put 6 rounds in a hole the size of a nickel. Of course the sights are adjustable, so I don't know how the fixed sighted guns are.

I'd say handle both of them before you decide. The berretta will cost more have less of a warranty, and probably have a better fit and finish. Taurus will cost less have a lifetime warranty, may have a tol mark or two (inside the gun). Both will shoot well and be reliable. Is the Berretta worht the extra dough? That's for you to decide for some it is and for others it isn't. I think you will be well served by either of these guns.

Sid

(Delaware County)

I have a 92fs and it is extremely accurate to at least 25-30yds. I cannot see how the slide mounted safety is a problem, unless your hands are very small all it takes is a flip of the thumb to take the safety off. To put the safety on you may have a problem but at that point it should not be an issue anyway.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast