Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Springfield XDm cycling issues

I just like the picture how it captures the spent casing mid air. I wonder what shutter speed one would need to catch the slide in action as well as the casing ejecting......I gotta try that one.

Quote Originally Posted by forealfreal2001 View Post
    not trying to question that grip or anything, wouldn't that tend to hit the slide lock at all? I've never used that grip so i can't really knock it, I'm just asking.
    Some people do have this problem, particularly people new to the grip. I've been shooting with it for a long time and haven't had any problems with it in my XD. I stopped counting after like 7K, and didn't have a problem inside of that number, or since I passed it. It doesn't work for everybody, and is quite different to get used to how far canted the left hand should be, but I've found that if you are willing to stick with it and give it a chance it really does work. It's the grip that I start out teaching most new shooters, and I know all the grips, the only reason I teach different grips is if a shooter is already accustomed to and not open to new ones. You are correct though, you can definitely hit the slide stop this way.

Quote Originally Posted by freeeire1916 View Post
    I just like the picture how it captures the spent casing mid air. I wonder what shutter speed one would need to catch the slide in action as well as the casing ejecting......I gotta try that one.
    To be honest, timing is more critical than shutter speed. Shutter speed dictates how long the shutter is open and closed, which ends up being related to apperture since it effects how much light the film is exposed to. Either way, you don't need a fast shutter speed to capture brass in the air. You'll need fast shutter speeds to get crisp clear brass in the air, since it'll "stop" the brass in movement. With any quality SLR or DSLR camera, you could get at least 2 or 3 photos with the brass in the air and the action cycling (maybe not cycling in all). Either way pictures with brass flying are always fun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Some people do have this problem, particularly people new to the grip. I've been shooting with it for a long time and haven't had any problems with it in my XD. I stopped counting after like 7K, and didn't have a problem inside of that number, or since I passed it. It doesn't work for everybody, and is quite different to get used to how far canted the left hand should be, but I've found that if you are willing to stick with it and give it a chance it really does work. It's the grip that I start out teaching most new shooters, and I know all the grips, the only reason I teach different grips is if a shooter is already accustomed to and not open to new ones. You are correct though, you can definitely hit the slide stop this way.
    could you post a couple pictures of different grips? or give me some resources to look at?

Quote Originally Posted by forealfreal2001 View Post
    could you post a couple pictures of different grips? or give me some resources to look at?
    They went over basically 2 in the article I outlined if you'll run through the different pages at the bottom. You've already seen the "thumbs forward" (straight thumbs, etc). That article also covers "thumb over thumb", which is also mentioned in the article. Sometimes people call it the "combat grip" or "gorilla grip". Here's a photo of it, and a link to the article where they talk about it some. http://www.officer.com/article/photo...EY200706-D.jpg

Then you'll see grips that lots of us call the "teacup and saucer" grip. It's not one that most of us recommend, or find very partical for self defense.

You'll also see some grips like "wrist bracing". It's another style of grip that I couldn't recomment, but that looks like this.

With revolvers you'll hear guys talk quite a bit about the "push/pull grip". Not that many people carry it over to pistols, but some people try. Either way, it's not a technique that I'd recommend eiter.

The rest of the information usually comes down to stance, which will effect how the arms are positioned, and which elbow is straight (or both). You'll hear terms like Weaver, modified Weaver (aka Chapman), both variations have "tucked" and "untucked" versions with the elbows. You'll also hear about isosceles, and "modern isosceles". These are different stances that you'll usually have to modify your grip some to get to work with a particular stance. It should also be mentioned that different stances use different techniques to engage targets to different sides, and how one must move while shooting. Some are better for movement than others. These are the more conventional and used stances, you can't forget single hand techniques like strong, weak, etc; they're not as common, but what people who are interested in self defense should consider in the event that they're injured and can only use one hand. A quick search on google brought up this page, and I noticed I linked some of the photos. http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx#Basics This doesn't mean it's the best sight for grips, but there's a lot of variation there and some ideas for you to check out. Hopefully that'll help and give you a start.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    To be honest, timing is more critical than shutter speed. Shutter speed dictates how long the shutter is open and closed, which ends up being related to apperture since it effects how much light the film is exposed to. Either way, you don't need a fast shutter speed to capture brass in the air. You'll need fast shutter speeds to get crisp clear brass in the air, since it'll "stop" the brass in movement. With any quality SLR or DSLR camera, you could get at least 2 or 3 photos with the brass in the air and the action cycling (maybe not cycling in all). Either way pictures with brass flying are always fun.
    I know a bit about photography. I hear what your saying but I would think the Ideal pictures would be to set the camera on a multiple shot setting at a very high speed. On a sunny day a good polarized filter would take a really nice picture without the chance of getting alot of reflective light off the casing if the sun should hit it the wrong way. I would start with the 800 speed film setting. Im still new to the SLR cameras but I think thats where I would start. The casing isnt so hard its catching the slide open that would be the fun part....muzzle flash would be even better! Great Now I gott bring my camera with me when I go. Just what I needed, another bag!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks tomcat, i'll look into trying some different grips when i get my XD back.

(Lawrence County)

I've captured brass in midair from a cell phone camera. Not a good cell phone either... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    I've captured brass in midair from a cell phone camera. Not a good cell phone either... lol

-Chaz
    Lol Nice....Ive captured some pretty nice stuff from my cell phone as well but its usually brass without the br.

As I said, the brass is easy. its the slide and flash that makes the best pictures. Speaking of pictures, Great pics of the different style grips Tomcat88. I will def be trying them and see if they fix my issues. Thanks

(Allegheny County)

My XD just came back today, I'm gonna try to shoot it this fri. I'll let you guys know what happens. They supposedly replaced the slidelock and slidelock spring.(again)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast