Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default LOP & CheeK weld.

I read that alot of AR guys like to Shoot Nose to the Charging Handle (NTCH).
    I never really thought about it but in optic mounting position it will determine what type of mount you may need. So I spent a couple hundred rds to see where I like to position my face in relation to the CH. I am using a 16 barrel, carbine gas length, with a Emod stock. I like the stock @ the 5 position and my nose is 3.5"'s away from the CH. I shot from the bench,prone ,kneeling,& standing . The position was about the same. I did do some limited amount of shooting on the move and my face still hoovers in more or less the same area.
    I am comfortable w/ my cheek weld and I am shooting better all the time but am I missing an important aspect of face position/cheek weld? Am I reinforcing a bad habit?
    TIA

(Monroe County)

Default Re: LOP & CheeK weld.

How were your groups?

I do it so I get the same head postion everytime.
    Trick is even if your group is "off" as long as it's tight and you do everything the same everytime, then you can adj the sights to zero the rifle to your postion.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lawrence County)

I only shoot nose to CH on an A2 gun. Otherwise, I set my optics to correpond to my natural cheekweld.

Head position doesn't matter too much on a good optic.

Lycanyou'renotmissinganythingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

My groups are good. I am just ?ing if there is a preferred close cheek weld or a longer cheek weld. I am probably over thinking the situation so , as long as you do the same thing all of the time you should get good results.
    Thanks

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    How were your groups?

I do it so I get the same head postion everytime.
    Trick is even if your group is "off" as long as it's tight and you do everything the same everytime, then you can adj the sights to zero the rifle to your postion.
    What he said^^^^^.

When I was in boot camp in 1988, I had consistency issues. My PMI told me to put my my nose to the charging handle and I have shot nothing less than expert ever since.

I always shoot NTCH, that is where I am the most comfortable from 22 years of shooting that way. As long as you do the same thing every time, you should be able to shoot decent groups.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I only shoot nose to CH on an A2 gun. Otherwise, I set my optics to correpond to my natural cheekweld.

Head position doesn't matter too much on a good optic.

Lycanyou'renotmissinganythingthrope
    Thanks LT.
    this post helped me pull a couple things together.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    What he said^^^^^.

When I was in boot camp in 1988, I had consistency issues. My PMI told me to put my my nose to the charging handle and I have shot nothing less than expert ever since.

I always shoot NTCH, that is where I am the most comfortable from 22 years of shooting that way. As long as you do the same thing every time, you should be able to shoot decent groups.
    OK same MO as a kisser button when drawing a string. This helps me as now I don't think I have to change my comfort zone but I will add a tape stop or something like that so I ensure a consistant weld point.
    Thanks.

(Venango County)

I have 5 Ar's and do use a "nose to the charging handle on a couple of them. They have Red Dot Opticals on them. Works great..
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Xpertz; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.

(Allegheny County)

My CTR is set 2 clicks back to where the bottom groove on the buffer tube is just starting to be visible. My nose is approx 2 fingers width from the charging handle. Or about an inch and change. I don't know if this is considered NTCH but it's pretty close.

I like my rifles nice and tight to me. All the years of shooting AK 'warsaw' length stocks has me pretty patterned to run everything this way. So when I finally got into the AR thing too. I have mine set up pretty much identically to the way I shoot AK's. I use a tube style RDS on a 1/2" riser to get dead on cowitness with the irons on a flat top.

(The dot is literally ON the tippy top of my front post)

So it's more of a heads up shooting position than some people use on an AR15. I however... do not shoot competitions or pretend to be an amazing shooter.

Lycanthrope however is. So just do whatever he tells you to do that will still work for you.

Your optic choice will often dictate where your eye needs to be. And you can use a mount that puts the optic in the 'sweet spot' on the rifle. But you also have an adjustable stock to dial in the back end too. But if you have a LOP you think works for you. Then just make sure whatever ends up on the rifle you pay close attention to the eye relief, and the way it will be mounted to keep you in your sweet spot. (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey View Post
    I read that alot of AR guys like to Shoot Nose to the Charging Handle (NTCH).
    I never really thought about it but in optic mounting position it will determine what type of mount you may need. So I spent a couple hundred rds to see where I like to position my face in relation to the CH. I am using a 16 barrel, carbine gas length, with a Emod stock. I like the stock @ the 5 position and my nose is 3.5"'s away from the CH. I shot from the bench,prone ,kneeling,& standing . The position was about the same. I did do some limited amount of shooting on the move and my face still hoovers in more or less the same area.
    I am comfortable w/ my cheek weld and I am shooting better all the time but am I missing an important aspect of face position/cheek weld? Am I reinforcing a bad habit?
    TIA
    I don't think it matter's since your not using a scope, for with the scope the cheek weld is most important!
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)