Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Re: Mill Hall Boro in violation of preemption

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post

I E-mailed some of my relatives. My Dad's girl-friend wrote back. He is calling one of the Clinton co Commioners he is friends with. Do not think it will do any good.
    That may actually help. Since this seems to be a problem with multiple communities around the area if we could let him know the problem and the risk of liability for those communities he might be able to spread the word and get other councils to change their ordinances. I have a feeling that most of these communities are not even aware of the situation.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    That may actually help. Since this seems to be a problem with multiple communities around the area if we could let him know the problem and the risk of liability for those communities he might be able to spread the word and get other councils to change their ordinances. I have a feeling that most of these communities are not even aware of the situation.
    I am still trying to get Dad to join here. He is not a PC guy. Trying to get him as informed as possible. He does know alot of People that run Clinton Co.

Update

I have created a monster. My father has talked to One of the County Commissioners. The Commissioner told him he should call Mill Hall Boro and then go down with his gun to the park. If he is arrested to sue them. He had this Idea before but I had him calmed down. Now a Commissioner is telling him to do it.

Dad has called businesses and told them to have the Boro change or they would lose his business.

Dad said the County Commissioner is also mad and is going to mention it to the other commissioners.

I told him it was not just Mill Hall. Now he has started with Femington. He is going to the Mill Hall Boro meeting. Now I have to go for sure to keep him informed and undercontrol.
    Last edited by B2Luv2Hunt; April 20th, 2010 at 01:26 PM.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: The entire Lock Haven area is in violation of preemption

There are hundreds IF not thousands of illegal ordinances all over PA, in case people are just noticing this fact.

Want a solution?

Are YOU Tired Of Municipalities Violating Pennsylvania Firearms Preemption Law?

The solution is offered in HB 1541 READ DETAILS HERE on how you can help out getting this added level of protection in the law, to deal with those who will not correct the problem once it brought to their attention.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ption-law.html
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Clinton County)

I just had an exhausting conversation with the secretary at Mill Hall borough office just trying to get a copy of the borough ordinances and she did not like what I had to say at all. She even said if we get the ordinance removed they would just shut down the park altogether. She also told me that I would be charged a fee if she gave me the solicitors phone number and refused to give it to me. And she said, "think of the children"...she also tried to get me to feel guilty that changing the law would cost the borough money to which I replied, "I think preserving a civil liberty is worth a few dollars don't you?." She was very argumentative and hostile to my call and full of incorrect and false information.
    Last edited by t1m0thy; April 20th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    I am still trying to get Dad to join here. He is not a PC guy. Trying to get him as informed as possible. He does know alot of People that run Clinton Co.

Update

I have created a monster. My father has talked to One of the County Commissioners. The Commissioner told him he should call Mill Hall Boro and then go down with his gun to the park. If he is arrested to sue them. He had this Idea before but I had him calmed down. Now a Commissioner is telling him to do it.

Dad has called businesses and told them to have the Boro change or they would lose his business.

Dad said the County Commissioner is also mad and is going to mention it to the other commissioners.

I told him it was not just Mill Hall. Now he has started with Femington. He is going to the Mill Hall Boro meeting. Now I have to go for sure to keep him informed and undercontrol.
    Holy crap your dad is my new hero. btw I called the commissioner you mentioned and left a voicemail.
    Last edited by t1m0thy; April 20th, 2010 at 01:59 PM.

(Clinton County)

Well in a pinch and since I do not really feel like dealing with secretaries here are letters for Mill Hall and Flemington.

We, the undersigned, would like to notify the borough of Mill Hall and its officials that a a borough ordinance is in violation of the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act. Since it was not feasable to obtain a copy of the ordinances from another source in a timely manner we will make reference to the sign in the park which states:

"[No person shall...]10. No weapons permitted."

In direct contradiction to this ordinance the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act states:

"No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."

The specific language that is in violation is where the ordinance references the prohibition of carrying firearms in parks or recreation areas. It being that the Uniform Firearms act was passed in 1995 it is unclear if these ordinances were passed before that time or after. Regardless, there was no grandfathering for such laws provided for in the bill.

As individuals that enjoy the right to carry as provided for in our state laws we find ourselves in a position where we feel obligated to disclose this information to our local government officials and ask that they rewrite the ordinances in question so that they comply with state mandates concerning the right of citizens to carry firearms. The consequences of inaction on this matter could lead to the unfortunate circumstance of someone being unlawfully arrested for legally carrying a firearm as permitted and protected by state law and result in costly lawsuits for the police department and the borough.

In closing, we could go into a description of why citizens like ourselves carry and explain our desire to carry firearms, but there is no need to provide such an argument here because the law is clear. Any local ordinances that violate preemption are null and void and unenforceable. It is the right of every law abiding citizen in Pennsylvania to open carry or conceal carry firearms wherever state law allows.

In addition to this letter, we have attached several news stories of similar cases throughout the state where these types of ordinances have been overturned.

We greatly appreciate your time in reading this and look forward to swift action on this matter to the benefit of all the law abiding citizens of this area. Thank you.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
    We, the undersigned, would like to notify the borough of Flemington and its officials that a a borough ordinance is in violation of the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act. Since it was not feasable to obtain a copy of the ordinances from another source in a timely manner we will make reference to the sign in the park which states:

"[No person shall...]5. Carry or fire dangerous weapons or fireworks."

In direct contradiction to this ordinance the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act states:

"No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."

The specific language that is in violation is where the ordinance references the prohibition of carrying firearms in parks or recreation areas. It being that the Uniform Firearms act was passed in 1995 it is unclear if these ordinances were passed before that time or after. Regardless, there was no grandfathering for such laws provided for in the bill.

As individuals that enjoy the right to carry as provided for in our state laws we find ourselves in a position where we feel obligated to disclose this information to our local government officials and ask that they rewrite the ordinances in question so that they comply with state mandates concerning the right of citizens to carry firearms. The consequences of inaction on this matter could lead to the unfortunate circumstance of someone being unlawfully arrested for legally carrying a firearm as permitted and protected by state law and result in costly lawsuits for the police department and the borough.

In closing, we could go into a description of why citizens like ourselves carry and explain our desire to carry firearms, but there is no need to provide such an argument here because the law is clear. Any local ordinances that violate preemption are null and void and unenforceable. It is the right of every law abiding citizen in Pennsylvania to open carry or conceal carry firearms wherever state law allows.

In addition to this letter, we have attached several news stories of similar cases throughout the state where these types of ordinances have been overturned.

In addition to the above complaint, your park sign also states:

"7. Use profane or obscene language."

This is clearly a violation of the first amendment and is a violation of basic civil rights. It is also requested that this be removed from the borough ordinances as well.

We greatly appreciate your time in reading this and look forward to swift action on these matters to the benefit of all the law abiding citizens of this area. Thank you.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
    Last edited by t1m0thy; April 20th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.

(Clinton County)

OK I have everything printed out and ready to deliver I just need a few signatures. I can meet up wherever and get it. I attached the story from westmoreland county and from ebensburg with each letter. I am going to drop them off with attention to the borough manager and/ or solicitor.

(Clinton County)

Flemington does indeed have its own counsil and Mayor, who used to be a fellow named Gary Durkin, not positive if he's Mayor still, but I believe he is.
    P.E.t.A.=people eating tasty animals!!!

(Clinton County)

anyone available tonight or tomorrow for me to gather a signature? Just PM me.

(Clinton County)

Got two signatures including myself now. Thanks, lowcapacity. Just need a couple more not too many just want a handful of people from the area.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast