Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: AK 47 accidental full auto??

My Norico started drifting off a extra round or 4. After I gave it a complete check seeing if it was the way I was shooting it or the rifle it's self. I found the full auto disconnect sear (the small middle hook on the back of the trigger group) along with the hammer were it is caught by it were worn.
    Best guess I've put about 15-20K thought it.
    A Tapco G2 trigger kit later all is well and very legal.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by wop65 View Post
    Sometimes I find it amusing that I even post on this forum. When I post questions (it means I am looking for a “useful” answer.

If any question is cryptic to the reader then don’t answer it at all. Answers like go to a gunsmith or read this or that without knowing what the answer is is just a waste of time. I had this recently with a malfunction of an AK and received mostly BS answers. (One was good that suggested admit nothing, etc. If you don’t know a question – don’t respond, period. I hate wasting your time with this post but please use some common sense. I am not a smart guy and if I’m wrong let me know, nicely of course – don’t be rude. A response of “see a gunsmith” should be flushed.

Hank
    First of all, this was sound advice in my opinion. I was not trying to waste anyones time. I have been around for a long time and I have seen ATF jam people up just because they want to make themselves look important.

Second, if you did not like my answer fine, leave it at that, but there was no need for your remarks trying to make me sound stupid.

(Lancaster County)

If its a century gun I'm willing to bet its a Yugo that never had the cosmoline cleaned out of the bolt. It'll stick the firing pin forward and can cause slam fires.

The other possibility is a weak spring (disconnector I think). If it creates an overly light trigger pull the possibility of accidental bump firing or double taps is significantly increased.

My money's on bolt sludge though. Yugos are notorious for it.

(Carbon County)

Well said, ty

(Carbon County)

First of all, this was sound advice in my opinion. I was not trying to waste anyone’s time. I have been around for a long time and I have seen ATF jam people up just because they want to make themselves look important.

Well said.

Second, if you did not like my answer fine, leave it at that, but there was no need for your remarks trying to make me sound stupid.

Again well said -- your answer did alert to the old saying about lose lips, etc. Well taken. I cannot make you look stupid for trying to help.

I can only thank you.

Hank

(Carbon County)

Thank you for this useful info...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    If its a century gun I'm willing to bet its a Yugo that never had the cosmoline cleaned out of the bolt. It'll stick the firing pin forward and can cause slam fires.

The other possibility is a weak spring (disconnector I think). If it creates an overly light trigger pull the possibility of accidental bump firing or double taps is significantly increased.

My money's on bolt sludge though. Yugos are notorious for it.
    I agree with the bolt sludge theory... not that I am claiming to be an expert about AK's or anything of the sort. But, I've witnessed slam fires due to poor/reluctant cleaning of cosmoline from the bolt assembly.

(Berks County)

A worn disconnector or bad disconnector spring is most likely the culprit.

If the disconnector doesn't catch the hammer on the way back... the hammer will follow the bolt when it closes on the next cartridge, causing a slamfire (usually with soft primers.) Harder primers will just show a light primer strike if this occurs... and won't usually fire. When that happens, you will manually cycle the bolt, thinking you have an empty chamber (since the hammer is already down)... only to find an unfired round in the chamber with a light primer strike.

Sometimes it's possible to accidentally bump-fire an AK, depending how you hold or shoulder it. I've seen guys able to bumpfire from the shoulder already... and you'd swear on Granny's grave that it was a full auto gun.

(Carbon County)

Great advice... Thanks

I know in my AKs I cleaned most of the junk off the firegroup.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast