Last night, my girlfriends family were taking my girl out for her birthday dinner. Long story short, my father in law had to go to the hospital for what we now know was a low blood sugar reaction.

There is a security checkpoint that you have to go through just to get into the ER. So I see a sign that says something to the effect of "If you have a license to carry a firearm and you wish to check your weapon, check with security and they will hold you firearm in a locked location and you can pick it up when you are finished"

Cool. So I tell the guy that I need to check my firearm. I go around the metal detector and into the security office. They tell me I need to sign this paper, unload your gun, and put it in the locker with my LTCF. So I did that, took my key, and I went into the waiting room to settle in to what could be a long night of waiting for results on father in law.

I then go outside to have a smoke and two PPD walk around me on their way to the security office. Then I hear one cop say, "did somebody call about the gun?"

So I see them go into the locker where I put the gun, and they take it out and start writing down the numbers on the gun and take my LCTF. I asked the security guard what's going on here?

He said that it is Hospital policy to have every gun that comes into "their hospital" checked out by the police. I was like WTF.

So the cops come out with my LTCF in hand and radio back inquiring about me. I can hear the other end say "the "permit" for JIDinPhilly is good."

Then the cop tells me that he is running the serial numbers to see if the gun is stolen. What?

So then the cop brought my LTCF back into security, locks it back up in the locker, and then they both leave.

Needless to say, I felt pretty violated and I felt duped. Like a criminal would be so stupid as to check their illegally owned firearm into the ER's security office. Nowhere on the sign did it say anything about having my information run and my property touched.

I didn't want them to have possession of my firearm for one more second so I went in and reclaimed my property and decided to stand outside until I hear word of my father in laws health. What the hell just happened?

Thoughts?