Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Cops called after I checked my firearm at the emergency room

Last night, my girlfriends family were taking my girl out for her birthday dinner. Long story short, my father in law had to go to the hospital for what we now know was a low blood sugar reaction.

There is a security checkpoint that you have to go through just to get into the ER. So I see a sign that says something to the effect of "If you have a license to carry a firearm and you wish to check your weapon, check with security and they will hold you firearm in a locked location and you can pick it up when you are finished"

Cool. So I tell the guy that I need to check my firearm. I go around the metal detector and into the security office. They tell me I need to sign this paper, unload your gun, and put it in the locker with my LTCF. So I did that, took my key, and I went into the waiting room to settle in to what could be a long night of waiting for results on father in law.

I then go outside to have a smoke and two PPD walk around me on their way to the security office. Then I hear one cop say, "did somebody call about the gun?"

So I see them go into the locker where I put the gun, and they take it out and start writing down the numbers on the gun and take my LCTF. I asked the security guard what's going on here?

He said that it is Hospital policy to have every gun that comes into "their hospital" checked out by the police. I was like WTF.

So the cops come out with my LTCF in hand and radio back inquiring about me. I can hear the other end say "the "permit" for JIDinPhilly is good."

Then the cop tells me that he is running the serial numbers to see if the gun is stolen. What?

So then the cop brought my LTCF back into security, locks it back up in the locker, and then they both leave.

Needless to say, I felt pretty violated and I felt duped. Like a criminal would be so stupid as to check their illegally owned firearm into the ER's security office. Nowhere on the sign did it say anything about having my information run and my property touched.

I didn't want them to have possession of my firearm for one more second so I went in and reclaimed my property and decided to stand outside until I hear word of my father in laws health. What the hell just happened?

Thoughts?
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(York County)

Default Re: Cops called after I checked my firearm at the emergency room

And what hospital is this??
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Clinton County)

Was the thing you signed some sort of waiver and did it mention them being allowed to check your gun?

(Indiana County)

File a strongly-worded complaint, citing the law, with the Top Person at the hospital. Don't address it to Security, or Emergency Room - go straight to the top, do not pass Go.

Find out what the procedures are for filing a complaint with the PPD and do so. Point out that their "search" was illegal, without RAS or PC, and was a violation of your 4th & 5th Amendment rights.

Or, if you have the resources, have your attorney do so.

(Delaware County)

I'd be pretty p!ssed off

Anywhere on that paper you signed say that your property would be turned over to the police, because that's basically what happened.

(Philadelphia County)

It was a form that had no small print of any kind. I had to write the make and model of the weapon. Number of rounds. And the time I checked it in. That's it.

University of Pennsylvania

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    File a strongly-worded complaint, citing the law, with the Top Person at the hospital. Don't address it to Security, or Emergency Room - go straight to the top, do not pass Go.

Find out what the procedures are for filing a complaint with the PPD and do so. Point out that their "search" was illegal, without RAS or PC, and was a violation of your 4th & 5th Amendment rights.

Or, if you have the resources, have your attorney do so.
    I'm just assuming here but I think he waived his rights by signing that paper when he handed his gun over to security. If that is the case there was no violation.

(Chester County)

i would never goto that hospital again..if im having a heart attack i would refuse to go there because they dont deserve a penny from me.
    Lifes hard, its even harder when your stupid - John Wayne.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIDinPhilly View Post
    It was a form that had no small print of any kind. I had to write the make and model of the weapon. Number of rounds. And the time I checked it in. That's it.
    Well then take Statkowski's advice. If there was nothing on the form that stated you agree to allow them to have the police check out the firearm your 4th amendment rights were most certainly violated and I would call an attorney forthwith.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Cops called after I checked my firearm at the emergency room *Update*

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    Well then take Statkowski's advice. If there was nothing on the form that stated you agree to allow them to have the police check out the firearm your 4th amendment rights were most certainly violated and I would call an attorney forthwith.
    I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to a lawyer. Although, my Grandfather did introduce me to his best friend lawyer who works on Wall St. Maybe he could point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by JIDinPhilly; April 19th, 2010 at 11:15 AM.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast