Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Can I carry a fixed blade in Pa?

What is illegal to carry other than an auto knife?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Can I carry a fixed blade in Pa?

There is no knife pre-emption, so the answer to that varies by locality.

(Monroe County)

If you have the Special Knives Badge you can carry any knife you want. You have to apply for it at Governor Ted Rondills office in Jarrisburg.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Luzerne County)

There are no specific length restrictions or anything like that at the state level, but keep in mind that knives are not preempted like firearms, so municipalities can have their own restrictions, such as Philadelphia Code § 10-820. More importantly, any knife that has no “common lawful purpose” is illegal to carry as per 18 Pa.C.S. § 908 (Prohibited offensive weapons). Self-defense does not count as a “common lawful purpose” since it would effectively invalidate § 908 entirely. For example, in Commonwealth v. Lawson (Pa. Superior Court, 2009), Anthony Michael Lawson’s § 908 conviction for possessing an 11-inch long folding knife, with a 7-inch long blade, that locked both fully open and at a 90° angle was upheld due to the knife having no “common lawful purpose”, including a dismissed claim of self-defense.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCWohlschlag View Post
    There are no specific length restrictions or anything like that at the state level, but keep in mind that knives are not preempted like firearms, so municipalities can have their own restrictions, such as Philadelphia Code § 10-820. More importantly, any knife that has no “common lawful purpose” is illegal to carry as per 18 Pa.C.S. § 908 (Prohibited offensive weapons). Self-defense does not count as a “common lawful purpose” since it would effectively invalidate § 908 entirely. For example, in Commonwealth v. Lawson (Pa. Superior Court, 2009), Anthony Michael Lawson’s § 908 conviction for possessing an 11-inch long folding knife, with a 7-inch long blade, that locked both fully open and at a 90° angle was upheld due to the knife having no “common lawful purpose”, including a dismissed claim of self-defense.
    That above is why one should only carry a simple to modest "pocket knife", and as many guns and ammo as they can carry. Its easier to establish a common lawful purpose with a smaller knife, and if you get to the point that you need a knife in self-defense a gun is just as legal to use without a doubt of being legal to possess*.

Leave the big knives for when you're hunting, or if you're a Sihk and carry a kirpān for religious purposes, or for those who like to get shot by guys sporting a fedora hat and a bullwhip.

*within legal requirements of LTCF for concealment, Philly, and emergencies. And barring prohibited persons, except for their very limited exemptions.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

The questions in Lawson were specifically whether the weapon at hand was an "other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose" and whether "self-defense" was a defense.

Assuming he wasn't a prohibited person, it's too bad he didn't go a different route, on these grounds:
    That 908(b)(3) is an element of the offense (alternately that it was raised by the defense and then not proved beyond a reasonable doubt by the Commonwealth not to be so)
    That the arm was one carried in defense of himself or the state with specific sec 1, 21, and 25 citations. i.e. 908 unconstitutional either facially or as applied.

(Northampton County)

Thats sad that knives are regulated like that. Where can I get the knife regulations for each municipality that I vist? Not sure how good it would be to wear a neck knife. I like the smith and wesson one becuase it has a whistle in it. I would be worried that the sheath would evenutally wear and the blade would pop out. I want something with an extra level of retention. Who makes a bad ass neck knife?

How good are credit card knives for your wallet? Do they have any real use other than that they get past searches?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
    Thats sad that knives are regulated like that. Where can I get the knife regulations for each municipality that I vist? Not sure how good it would be to wear a neck knife. I like the smith and wesson one becuase it has a whistle in it. I would be worried that the sheath would evenutally wear and the blade would pop out. I want something with an extra level of retention. Who makes a bad ass neck knife?

How good are credit card knives for your wallet? Do they have any real use other than that they get past searches?
    Cold Steel has some nice options for neck knives with kydex sheaths.

personally, with the evolution of folders, why bother with a fixed blade? and in most people's heads (i.e., JURY), a fixed blade appears more dangerous than a folder... just like black guns are more dangerous than ones with wood on them.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Berks County)

The "law" sometimes varies from cop to cop. I have had police tell me it is illegal to carry ANY knife with a blade of more than 3" (which he measured by holding the open blade across the palm of his hand). I investigated this a few years ago when I was interested in collecting knives, but the types that interested me (switchblades) are illegal to even POSESS in your home in PA...not the type of thing they will go out of their way to arrest you for, but if you are searched for some reason and they are found, there is an automatic additional charge...

The state of knife laws in the US is pathetic - you really are better off with a legal gun than almost any type of knife.

(PS - my switchblades are long sold - out of state.)

mark

added:Any type of knife that is made to be hidden can be considered a "concealed weapon" and knife carry is NOT covered by a LTCF in PA...If someone finds a concealed knife on your person, you might be charged with a crime - IF THEY FEEL LIKE IT!
    Last edited by dogngun; May 8th, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
    Another armed Liberal veteran.