Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Back-up sights for AR

Any suggestions for the best multi-purpose iron sights for an AR? I'll be eventually adding an EOtech or equivalent, when the money is right and I'm first proficient enough with just old fashioned sights. I'm thinking flip up, at least for rear sights.

(York County)

Default Re: Back-up sights for AR

I am a big fan of Troy Ind, they make a tough flip up front and rear. I believe ruger (and S&W) use Troy on thier factory ARs

I have a flip rear and an HK style flip front on mine. The only thing that is annoying is that with the small aperture up, the sight wont fold flat, but this is a problem with many manufacturers rear flip sights iirc.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

A respected member recomended to me the ARMS 40L.
    I mounted one on my AR (40LSP model) and I am happy w/ it. I was using it today and it has held zero for 500 rds/6months with typical fliping up & down.
    I have shot using the MI BIS and that is nice as well.
    If I were not planning on getting an optic any time soon I would get the LMT A2 flattop rear sight. You could leave it on for ever, leave it even with RDS type optics or sell it if you need to and I believe it will give you better results as a stand alone rear sight.

(York County)

I have a set of Magpul BUIS but I'm honestly not the biggest fan (but don't tell my fellow Magpul fanboys). They are a little bulky and kind of a pain to mount/take up too much rail space. Instead I opted for the GG&G pop up BUIS on my AR which works great for me.

Don't buy anything ARMS...they are A holes that do nothing for the shooting community.

I have GG&G rear BUIS and I like them a lot. I saw that GG&G offers an updated version that has set distances IE 200, 300 and so forth. If I didn't have mine, I'd probably opt for that model.

I finally got to get my hands on an ACR this past weekend and it comes standard with the MBUS and must say it's a neat design and it's very inexpensive. It is a little on the bulky side, but it's not a bad option.

My friend has Troy's and he likes their BUIS.

The YHM BUIS are not a bad investment as well.

Lots of choices, so please don't support ARMS.

Question Re: Back-up sights for AR

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Don't buy anything ARMS...they are A holes that do nothing for the shooting community.

I have GG&G rear BUIS and I like them a lot. I saw that GG&G offers an updated version that has set distances IE 200, 300 and so forth. If I didn't have mine, I'd probably opt for that model.

I finally got to get my hands on an ACR this past weekend and it comes standard with the MBUS and must say it's a neat design and it's very inexpensive. It is a little on the bulky side, but it's not a bad option.

My friend has Troy's and he likes their BUIS.

The YHM BUIS are not a bad investment as well.

Lots of choices, so please don't support ARMS.
    Hey all I do not want to hijack but Aub, could you PM or post why ARMS is NGTG. I have only heard they are protective of their designs but that is the extent of what I have heard. I refuse to buy certain brands for valid reasons and would be intrested in what you have to say. There are a couple of members here that use these and I am curios if they know?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    I have a set of Magpul BUIS but I'm honestly not the biggest fan (but don't tell my fellow Magpul fanboys). They are a little bulky and kind of a pain to mount/take up too much rail space. Instead I opted for the GG&G pop up BUIS on my AR which works great for me.
    you looking to sell the MBUS sights? im trying to get a set for my Sig 522 but most places are backordered.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Philadelphia County)

I have or had quite of few flip up BUIS from various manufacturers, including Troy, Magpul, ARMS, Matech, and Midwest Industries. Honestly, whatever you can find that fits your budget, being conscious of the fact that you cannot mount an MBUS front onto a railed gas block (melting reason), you will be just fine. Another factor to consider is whether or not to go with the low profile sight so that if you need to put some serious glass on the gun, it will be out of the way when folded down.

Best value for the money for me would be the Midwest Industries, especially if you can find them used. I prefer the solid feel of metal compared to the MBUS, but you cannot beat a set of MBUS for $80. I have 2 sets of MI sights for 2 of my ARs, a set of ARMS for another, a rear ARMS for my Sig P556, and a set of MBUS for my AR57 pistol. My Troy and Matech are sold, for no particular reason other than I prefer to have my sights in matching sets.

Al

(Schuylkill County)

Al, I'm not sure if you've used the configuration, but does an EOTech fit alright with a rear Troy flip sight? Or would the EOTech have to be moved forward too far that it would go onto my quadrail(hence, not really good)? I've never mounted one before, but am looking to do so now... I was just wondering how much space the Troy sight takes up in the back...
    III%

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Al, I'm not sure if you've used the configuration, but does an EOTech fit alright with a rear Troy flip sight? Or would the EOTech have to be moved forward too far that it would go onto my quadrail(hence, not really good)? I've never mounted one before, but am looking to do so now... I was just wondering how much space the Troy sight takes up in the back...
    The Troy I had had similar height and length as the other rear sights I have. I don't have an Eotech and no longer have my Troy so I'm not sure. As for having both the Eotech and the rear sight on the upper receiver, it may also depends on the Eotech model. The XPS's are pretty compact. I haven't heard that having holosights on the quadrail is bad for any reason, but I haven't paid too much attention to that.

My main concern is co-witness. I have AIMShot HG-M2 on my ARs and I can co-witness relatively well.

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast