Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Back-up sights for AR

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    The Troy I had had similar height and length as the other rear sights I have. I don't have an Eotech and no longer have my Troy so I'm not sure. As for having both the Eotech and the rear sight on the upper receiver, it may also depends on the Eotech model. The XPS's are pretty compact.
    Yea, that's what I'm worried about. I'm looking at getting a 512, so it's the full length sight...

I haven't heard that having holosights on the quadrail is bad for any reason, but I haven't paid too much attention to that.
    I heard it somewhere, that you should try not to overlap over onto the quadrail if it's (obv) two separate pieces. I'm not sure if it has something to do with minute shifting differentiation between the quadrail/sight/receiver?... I could very well have heard wrong, or have bad information though. So I'm not really sure on that.

Thanks for the input Al
    III%

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Yea, that's what I'm worried about. I'm looking at getting a 512, so it's the full length sight...

I heard it somewhere, that you should try not to overlap over onto the quadrail if it's (obv) two separate pieces. I'm not sure if it has something to do with minute shifting differentiation between the quadrail/sight/receiver?... I could very well have heard wrong, or have bad information though. So I'm not really sure on that.

Thanks for the input Al
    If the latter is false or negligible, then you don't need to worry about the first. I did a quick image search on google to see how people mount their Eotech and it seems that a lot of people don't have any concern mounting in between the receiver and quadrail: http://images.google.com/images?q=mo...art=20&ndsp=20 .

Moreover, the front screw of the Eotech seems to be further in towards the middle of the sight so the overall length is misleading. You only need to have the front screw on the last notch of the upper receiver and the remaining front can protrude beyond the receiver.

The bottom line is that I personally think you will be fine with any Eotech and any rear flip-up.

Al

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    If the latter is false or negligible, then you don't need to worry about the first. I did a quick image search on google to see how people mount their Eotech and it seems that a lot of people don't have any concern mounting in between the receiver and quadrail: http://images.google.com/images?q=mo...art=20&ndsp=20 .

Moreover, the front screw of the Eotech seems to be further in towards the middle of the sight so the overall length is misleading. You only need to have the front screw on the last notch of the upper receiver and the remaining front can protrude beyond the receiver.

The bottom line is that I personally think you will be fine with any Eotech and any rear flip-up.

Al
    Yea, from what I have seen, it appears the Eotech's have a slight raise in the front, after the screw in the middle. So you are probably right, I shouldn't worry. But either way, my quadrail butts up against the receiver perfectly, so it shouldn't look awkward or anything either.

(sorry for the hijack from the OP... I'm done now. )

But I have heard great things about Troy, Midwest Industries, and MagPul
    III%

(Northampton County)

I run a LaRue BUIS and love it. It does not fold but it does not take up much space and is easily removed. Plenty of room of an EOTECH.

*not my AR but you get the idea*

-Mike

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey View Post
    Hey all I do not want to hijack but Aub, could you PM or post why ARMS is NGTG. I have only heard they are protective of their designs but that is the extent of what I have heard. I refuse to buy certain brands for valid reasons and would be intrested in what you have to say. There are a couple of members here that use these and I am curios if they know?
    Here, read this thread. It's not like BUIS have never been discussed on PAFOA before .

You will read some fun back and forth banter about why people like or don't like certain manufactures. For the record, i love my ARMS 40's.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/80536-buis-ar.html

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Here, read this thread. It's not like BUIS have never been discussed on PAFOA before .

You will read some fun back and forth banter about why people like or don't like certain manufactures. For the record, i love my ARMS 40's.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/80536-buis-ar.html
    Thanks Guns,
    went thru much of it and good banter from all, but I did not read anything to stop me from buying an ARMS product. If i saw something like they supply hostile nations or double charge the DD , or have crappy Customer service I could understand. It is good to know that the throw lever mount has issues.
    I sell 2 cabinet lines and you can't even image all the BS that goes w/ marketing. Nobody would buy cereal/laundry soap if they knew of all the back door crap that goes on. I am not close enough to any of the issues regarding ARMS or the other companies discussed here but I respect everyones opion .

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    you looking to sell the MBUS sights? im trying to get a set for my Sig 522 but most places are backordered.
    Not at the moment...I actually purchased them for my Sig 522, but I wasn't really happy about their placement. Do you have the Swat version or the standard? They would probably work fine on the Swat version, but I just felt like the rail was too short and the sights were too large to get a good picture on my standard.

I ordered them from Magpul and they took a LONG time to get to me, so I'm not surprised they are backordered elsewhere. Out here in Kansas they're not too hard to find, though...

(York County)

I love my YHM's. Also, not sure if its been mentioned already, I think eotech has a few models out with the battery compartment running perpendicular to the plane of sight, so it takes up less realestate on your mounting surface.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Back-up sights for AR

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    I am a big fan of Troy Ind, they make a tough flip up front and rear.
    QFT.

I've used GG&G and Magpul MBUS, and while both are good, Troy's are GREAT! All 3 of my flattops run Troy - 2 of them use the HK-style front sight. Nice transition for me from my PTR91, as it ALSO uses a HK-style front sight.

(Allegheny County)

Another vote for Troy. If you want to run fixed, Daniel Defense makes some fine sights, a little cheaper too. One thing that a shooter significantly better than I told me to do was leave the sights up with the optics (non magnified red dot). Since doing so, I have cheated my cheekweld less and not had any troubles seeing either.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12