Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Question about gun laws (need help finding)

I was wondering if anyone knew of any gun legislation that was passed in Pennsylvania and not passed in another state (or vice versa). I was trying to identify some on the NRA website but it was not particularly helpful. I need two laws which are similiar in nature for a paper I need to write for my political science class. I have to explain why one state passed the law and the other did not.

My other option is to choose two bills which failed to be passed as legislation within a state and explain why. If anyone has any links to failed gun control legislation in PA it would be most appreciated.

Thank you

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Question about gun laws (need help finding)

Commonwealth of Virginia - Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP)
    Commonwealth of Pennsylvania - License to Carry Firearms (LTCF)

Virginia:

1. Any person with a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun onto school property while in a vehicle to drop off or pick up a child, only if that person remains in the vehicle with the handgun completely concealed.

2. It is unlawful to carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club for which a license to sell or serve alcoholic beverages on premises has been granted by the Alcohol Beverage Control Board.

3. It is unlawful to carry any firearm without good and sufficient reason to a place of worship while a religious meeting is being held.

Pennsylvania:

1. It is unlawful to possess any firearm on school property but it shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

2. It is unlawful to carry a handgun, rifle or shotgun upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a governmental executive unless the person carrying is actively engaged in lawful self defense, is licensed to carry firearms, or is exempt from licensing requirements. It is unlawful to carry a handgun, rifle or shotgun upon the public streets or upon any public property in Philadelphia unless the person carrying is licensed to carry firearms or is exempt from licensing requirements.

Virginia Law: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Pennsylvania Law: http://members.aol.com/StatutesP2/18.Cp.61A.html

You will note that both Virginia and Pennsylvania have similar school/school property laws, with differences. Virginia's law specifically mentions dropping off and picking up children. Pennsylvania's law, however, has an exception for carrying "for other lawful purpose" (not tested to date by any court case - an LTCF might well be a clearly valid exemption).

Virginia prohibits/restricts carrying anywhere alcoholic beverages are served; Pennsylvania has no such restriction. Pennsylvania has better-mannered drunks?

Virginia attempts to restrict carrying in houses of worship; Pennsylvania has no similar restriction.

Pennsylvania limits open carry of firearms in Philadelphia to only those who possess an LTCF; Virginia has no similar restriction to its largest city.

In both states open carry is not illegal (it's required by law in Virginia for establishments serving alcoholic beverages).

In both states license/permit issuance rules are set at state level, with political subdivisions thereof being prohibited from enacting stricter guidelines.

More similarities/differences? Well, that's your job with your paper.
    Last edited by Statkowski; September 21st, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Question about gun laws (need help finding)

Thanks for the response. That would be perfect for what I need. Now I have to dulge into the reasons Virginia allows certain things and PA doesn't.