Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Angled sights on ARs.

I was having one of those slow days when there were no chores that needed to be done, didn't have a shift at work and was just surfing gun websites when I started thinking about this.

I've seen some Three Gun Competition rifle shooters mount a red dot scope at a 45 degree angle. Like this kids rifle.

Angled red dot.jpg

After noticing this, I started wondering how useful it would be on an AR with a mounted scope, to mount a set of iron sights at a 45 degree angle on the strong side. They sell short rails for this already.

For close up targets, you simply roll the rifle to your weak side to line the sights up for shots too close for a scope.

I'm not saying I'd use a bulky set of sights but something low profile, simple and foldable might work. Something like this set.

Might take a bit of trial and error to get the rear sight mounted in a way that it doesn't interfere with any of the controls or the rifles operation. But the front sight would just need a gas block with a rail milled into it already.

The sight radius would be simple, zeroing the sights wouldn't be too difficult as it would be the same as standard sights just with the rifle twisted a bit.

With the folding sights, you could keep them folded for storage or transport and flip them up when you get to the range for plinking, target shooting, training or competition.

Anybody think this idea has merit or do I just have too much time on my hands?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Angled sights on ARs.

I can see where I might consider an attempt; A1 fixed handle setup where iron sights are not so easily "co-witnessed", so: add on an angled rail segment on the upper M4 handguard for attaching an RDS for those quick taps.

Pretty similar to having a light mounted off-axis to the iron sights.

The issue I have with trying this is having a carry case "deep" enough to allow for a mounted, off-axis - and zeroed - optic on the AR.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Bucks County)

When I was in the military we had to learn how to shoot with the gun on angle for when you are wearing a gas mask. Having the sights on an angle sure would have helped.

(Lawrence County)

3 gun guys do it with irons too......

Lycanworksprettywellthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I have a flat top and took the scope I had on it off and replaced the from gas block and sight with a flat from one then added sights.

Been seriously considering adding a Holo sight angled like that. Saw a article about a year ago with a setup like that and really liked the idea.... got any spare change for a Eotech
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    3 gun guys do it with irons too......

Lycanworksprettywellthrope
    I was thinking more along the lines of putting one of those angled rails on the receiver rail so the sight radius and such was just a bit shorter than normal. I guess it would depend on where the optics are mounted though.

I have seen those sights on some rifles though but I think they look like they were almost an afterthough thrown together to stick on the rifle.

(Bucks County)

Could also put an Aimpoint in an offset mount to accomplish the same goals...

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=398

(Monroe County)

Just more useless crap for the AR that you dont need , i call it the uglification of the AR , the AR is great as it is.

When was the last time you had to defend yourself with your Mask on ? Its a quick way rto get killed trying to find that iron sight on the side of the gun, why not just do it the old fashion way - just aim low If you had to close quarter shoot?

All the modern masks has offset filters so it doesnt get in the way of your sight line,

(Allegheny County)

The idea is to have a red dot for closer engagements so you don't get lost in your magnified optic if you need to take a shot at closer distances rapidly. Like if you had people running up on you at 50 yds. No one said we were chest to muzzle where you don't even need to aim. But even still it allows the guy to go right into the house if he needed to and not be at a disadvantage.

The offset RDS covers the gap in between so you can run decent magnification on top and be able to just tilt the rifle and not just "guess" where the bullets are going at 25-100yds.

Drop a 10x scope on your flat top AR and try and hit targets rapidly at 25-50yds that are shooting back at you and then tell me it's about uglification...

It's the same reason they make RDS with flip to the side or removeable magnifiers. To cover close and far better than just a RDS or magnified optic.

This is a very simple concept to understand, and the fact that you don't get it and shelve it all as "uglification" just shows your are stuck in your ways and shut your ability to think outside your own box long long ago...

As far as putting iron sights on the side of the gun I think it pretty much pointless compared to a RDS. Why would I want to transition to something slower than a RDS or has my rear sight too far forward to be an effective GRS?
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; April 19th, 2010 at 07:13 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    As far as putting iron sights on the side of the gun I think it pretty much pointless compared to a RDS. Why would I want to transition to something slower than a RDS or has my rear sight too far forward to be an effective GRS?
    I can't use the red dot sights. My vision doesn't agree with them for some reason.

As for the rear sight being too far forward? It would be if you mounted it to the foreend of the rifle. I was looking more along the lines of mounting the front sight angled off the railed gas block and the rear sight mounted off the upper receiver. That way the rear sight would only be a little bit farther forward than they would be mounted vertical.