Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile No more permit required in Arizona

Governor Brewer Signs Arizona Constitutional Carry into Law

Friday, April 16, 2010

Today, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer (R) signed an important NRA-backed bill into law, which removes the licensure requirement for law-abiding citizens who choose to carry a concealed firearm in the state of Arizona. Senate Bill 1108 passed the state House on April 8, by a vote of 36-19 with five absent votes and the state Senate by a vote of 20-10 in late March.

“This is a major victory for gun owners in Arizona, and I would like to thank Governor Jan Brewer, as well as the primary bill sponsor, Senator Russell Pearce (R-Mesa), for their leadership in working to improve the self-defense rights of law-abiding citizens in Arizona," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA-ILA. “Both Governor Brewer and state Senator Pearce have been strong supporters of the NRA. The NRA is also grateful to the legislators who voted for this measure making Arizona the third state in the nation behind Vermont and Alaska to offer its residents a constitutional carry option."

SB 1108 replaces Arizona’s former law, which required anyone who wished to defend themselves outside their home to possess a state-issued concealed carry permit. In Arizona’s constitution, Article 2, Section 26 states "the right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired…" The intention of this language could not be clearer.

Arizona residents will still be required to obtain a permit to carry concealed firearms across state lines in those states that have reciprocity agreements with Arizona.

"SB 1108 will enhance the rights of law-abiding Arizonans," concluded Cox.

The effective date for this bill has yet to be determined.

-NRA-

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. Four million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and to advocate enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the military.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: No more permit required in Arizona

234 years to legalize the 2A....baffling

(Monroe County)

Hot damn, Vermont and Alaska got a new friend! Now we have THREE states that respect the 2nd Amendment!

Halle-fucking-lujah! Score 1 for us!

(Berks County)

The law will take effect 90 days after the end of the state's current legislative session, which will put the effective date in July or August 2010

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...cc4c03286.html

I can hear the Brady howls through my closed windows.

(Luzerne County)

What about non-residents of Arizona... Does/Will this apply to them also?

So that brings up an interesting point though. I'm thinking here in MI, and in PA as well, concealed carry licenses are recognized from various other states. So, if someone from PA wanted to CC in MI, that's fine, and vise versa (also many other states that reciprocate). What do AZ residents do when they want to CC in, say MI or PA? Is there even such thing as reciprocating a non-license? Are AZ, AK, and VT residents stuck to CCing only in their own states?

Sorry if this has been asked before.
    Looking to start homebrewing? Read my primers here and here

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GLK_19 View Post
    So that brings up an interesting point though. I'm thinking here in MI, and in PA as well, concealed carry licenses are recognized from various other states. So, if someone from PA wanted to CC in MI, that's fine, and vise versa (also many other states that reciprocate). What do AZ residents do when they want to CC in, say MI or PA? Is there even such thing as reciprocating a non-license? Are AZ, AK, and VT residents stuck to CCing only in their own states?

If I remember correctly, Arizona is not doing away with it's CCW (or whatever they have in AZ) they are simply ending the requirement. An AZ resident must get a permit if they want to carry in the states that recognize AZ's permit.

Vermont does not have any sort of LTCF/CCW/CWP, therefore you cannot carry in another state just because you can in VT. I know this because I spent most of my life in VT, and could not legally drive across state borders if I had my gun.

I'm not as familiar with Alaska, but I think they still offer licenses for the same reason that Arizona does.

(Philadelphia County)

Arizona residents will still be required to obtain a permit to carry concealed firearms across state lines in those states that have reciprocity agreements with Arizona.

The above answers your question. It was in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Frellmedead View Post

Governor Brewer Signs Arizona Constitutional Carry into Law

Friday, April 16, 2010

Today, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer (R) signed an important NRA-backed bill into law, which removes the licensure requirement for law-abiding citizens who choose to carry a concealed firearm in the state of Arizona. Senate Bill 1108 passed the state House on April 8, by a vote of 36-19 with five absent votes and the state Senate by a vote of 20-10 in late March.

“This is a major victory for gun owners in Arizona, and I would like to thank Governor Jan Brewer, as well as the primary bill sponsor, Senator Russell Pearce (R-Mesa), for their leadership in working to improve the self-defense rights of law-abiding citizens in Arizona," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA-ILA. “Both Governor Brewer and state Senator Pearce have been strong supporters of the NRA. The NRA is also grateful to the legislators who voted for this measure making Arizona the third state in the nation behind Vermont and Alaska to offer its residents a constitutional carry option."

SB 1108 replaces Arizona’s former law, which required anyone who wished to defend themselves outside their home to possess a state-issued concealed carry permit. In Arizona’s constitution, Article 2, Section 26 states "the right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired…" The intention of this language could not be clearer.

"SB 1108 will enhance the rights of law-abiding Arizonans," concluded Cox.

The effective date for this bill has yet to be determined.

-NRA-

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. Four million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and to advocate enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the military.

(Bucks County)

there's also the issue where An AZ resident must have a permit to
    carry concealed into an establishment that serves alcohol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast