Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Haycock, Nockamixon, and Tinicum?

Any Bucks guys from these areas? My wife and I are thinking of moving out there and I'd just like to hear from folks who live there now about taxes, schools, etc... It sure looks beautiful and nice and spread out which we like. I might take my dog out to Nockamixon state park tomorrow if the weather holds.

Default Re: Haycock, Nockamixon, and Tinicum?

Though I am south of the area, I know it well. Personally I can't think of a prettier place to live. I was just up there yesterday helping someone move. If your looking for a bargain it's a very nice house, sits on 10 acres down a gravel road, small stream out back, corn field to the front, woods everywhere else. He paid 630,000 in 2005 I believe and will take 550,000 right now.

So ya know, I have no connection to the agent and no finacial stake whatsoever in it's sale.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Bucks County)

Lightbulb Re: Haycock, Nockamixon, and Tinicum?

Nockamixon is a great place to live and taxes are about as low as you will find in Upper Bucks County. You do have to be aware of the gas leases, that exist in mostly Nockamixon but there are some in Tinicum and Springfield.

Double and triple check if the property you are looking at has signed a gas lease. There are implications if this is the case that you would want to check out.

The drilling company has applied for a new permit that is about 10 days from being approved by the DEP.

(Bucks County)

My wife and I have been living in Point Pleasant, Tinicum Township for the last 5 years. School taxes is around $1400/yr on a $250,000 house. It's a beautiful part of the county, I'm only pissed that it took me 40 years to move here from Warrington Township. If you look for house near the river, make sure it wasn't flooded out in the last couple of years.

I belong to DelVal Fish & Game which is a small private club about a mile from me. Dues and raffle obligations are $125/yr but there's only 125 members.

There's plenty of world-class resturants nearby as well as shopping in Doylestown, New Hope and Peddler's Village in Lahaska with the area being fairly rural. It's nice to walk the dog or ride a bike along the Delaware Canal tow-path. It's cool living daily in a area that people travel to for vacations or day-trips.
    C & R License Holder, Delaware Valley Fish & Game Assoc,
    Penna Rifle & Pistol Assoc, Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society, and NRA Lifetime Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Ppsh41 View Post
    My wife and I have been living in Point Pleasant, Tinicum Township for the last 5 years. School taxes is around $1400/yr on a $250,000 house. It's a beautiful part of the county, I'm only pissed that it took me 40 years to move here from Warrington Township. If you look for house near the river, make sure it wasn't flooded out in the last couple of years.

I belong to DelVal Fish & Game which is a small private club about a mile from me. Dues and raffle obligations are $125/yr but there's only 125 members.

There's plenty of world-class resturants nearby as well as shopping in Doylestown, New Hope and Peddler's Village in Lahaska with the area being fairly rural. It's nice to walk the dog or ride a bike along the Delaware Canal tow-path. It's cool living daily in a area that people travel to for vacations or day-trips.
    It is indeed a beautiful place to live up there. I've been driving River Road all my life. Began rock climbing at High Rocks in my teens. Did you know that was once owned by James Michner? I remember it before they put the railings up. The only drawback I see is the influx of traffic over the past 10 or 15 years. Loud bikes and speeding cars. But get off the main road, and coast through the back roads and it all goes away.

When I moved back from Miami in 1993 I began taking my daughters to High Rocks and hiking the cliff. It really wore them out and toughened them up. I place some of the credit for their independent streak on those hikes. Once you get past the popular trail and head down the hillside to the creek it gets very serene, no noise, no people. We used to catch carp by hand in a pool there in the creek. Catch and release, just to see if we could do it. We could.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Though I am south of the area, I know it well. Personally I can't think of a prettier place to live. I was just up there yesterday helping someone move. If your looking for a bargain it's a very nice house, sits on 10 acres down a gravel road, small stream out back, corn field to the front, woods everywhere else. He paid 630,000 in 2005 I believe and will take 550,000 right now.

So ya know, I have no connection to the agent and no finacial stake whatsoever in it's sale.
    If I was in a position to buy it right now I'd give it some thought! We're not ready yet, but we're planning our next move very carefully and taking our time because wherever we end up we intend for it to be permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockamixon View Post
    Nockamixon is a great place to live and taxes are about as low as you will find in Upper Bucks County. You do have to be aware of the gas leases, that exist in mostly Nockamixon but there are some in Tinicum and Springfield.

Double and triple check if the property you are looking at has signed a gas lease. There are implications if this is the case that you would want to check out.

The drilling company has applied for a new permit that is about 10 days from being approved by the DEP.
    Thanks-I got a few heads up about this issue. I understand that Nockamixon has been fighting the drilling-as much as domestically produced natural gas is there are some towns in Central PA that have had less than stellar results like gas/fracturing fluid getting into the water supply, etc... I'll make sure to check it out because I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it.

My wife and I have been living in Point Pleasant, Tinicum Township for the last 5 years. School taxes is around $1400/yr on a $250,000 house.
    I'm paying almost $7000 on the same house at least in terms of assessed value right now!

I don't really know Doylestown at all but we get out Lambertville/New Hope a lot. Peddler's Village we know really well because we had our wedding reception at the Cock and Bull-everyone who had never been out there before (all of our family is in Jersey) couldn't stop talking about how nice it was. As a matter of fact we need to get back there soon because part of the reception package is a free dinner on or before your 1st anniversary which is next month. Time flies...

It is indeed a beautiful place to live up there. I've been driving River Road all my life. Began rock climbing at High Rocks in my teens. Did you know that was once owned by James Michner? I remember it before they put the railings up. The only drawback I see is the influx of traffic over the past 10 or 15 years. Loud bikes and speeding cars. But get off the main road, and coast through the back roads and it all goes away.
    If we can find 10-15 acres off the beaten path (but not that far off) I'd be happy as a clam.

When I moved back from Miami in 1993 I began taking my daughters to High Rocks and hiking the cliff. It really wore them out and toughened them up. I place some of the credit for their independent streak on those hikes. Once you get past the popular trail and head down the hillside to the creek it gets very serene, no noise, no people. We used to catch carp by hand in a pool there in the creek. Catch and release, just to see if we could do it. We could.
    That's cool. Exactly why we want to head out there.

(Bucks County)

I'm in the Pennridge area. You might want to avoid it if you can,,, the taxes are getting out of control. Other than that, the entire area is full of history and plenty of things to do. The scenery is spectacular, especially in the fall. Conde Nast rated the drive on River Road between New Hope and Washington Crossing one of the top 10 scenic drives in the world. (That's the world, not just the U.S.) It's a nice drive but I think the whole River Road is nice all the way up to Easton.
    And if you're in the mood, NYC is only a short drive up 611 to 78.