Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default HiViz Sight on a PT1911

I'm putting a new sight on my 1911, and I want to secure it so that it won't get loose and/or pop out (there's no set screw on the sight). It's taking some filing, etc., to get it to fit properly, but after it's in, what's a good recommendation to secure it?

I'm thinking some sort of epoxy or Loctite to cement the sight down, but will this stand up to the recoil? Or should I also be considering something to glop in on either side of the sight so it doesn't move laterally in the dovetail slot?

Thanks.

Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: HiViz Sight on a PT1911

Loctite

Some recommend red (uber strength), I use blue (medium).

FNX-9 Two-tone

(Montgomery County)

OK, the jury is in. I went with using a punch to get the sight in, and then blue Loctite). Of course, this was my 2nd time doing this, since the first one I had the sight in too loosely so I could check the alignment before I Loctited, and sure enough, after a half dozen rounds it flew right the #$&% off; lost somewhere on the outdoor range.

So, after significant searching, I decided that it would be a expensive lesson, and I'd order another one (fortunately only $29 incl. shipping from http://www.grandslamsports1.com/servlet/StoreFront ). Works great, dead on, and I'm a happy camper. A couple local shops told me it would take a week (+) and no specifics on cost for a pro to do it, so I took the plunge. Looks OK too, I'll try to get a pic up later today.

Thanks for the video, falcn, good info.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Berks County)

Double check your grip. Is it possible that you could inadvertantly be hitting the mag release?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Montgomery County)

Here's the pics, finally. (Using my daughter's camera, so a pain to work with.) Needs maybe a little cosmetic work where it filed down to the metal in the sight groove, but otherwise it's OK. Sight sits tight, glows fantastic (especially in the daylight), and is damn accurate (if I say so myself).

Happy camper !!

Last edited by Roland of Gilead; April 27th, 2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: bloody typos