http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...6/NEWS/4160373

A proposal to impose a surcharge on municipalities covered by state police may have gained renewed traction after being recently dismissed as dead.

The idea, first proposed a year ago, is resurfacing after the federal government's rejection of Pennsylvania's application to impose tolls on Interstate 80. That move would have generated $450 million for road projects over the next year.
Paying for police

Municipalities covered by state police and subject to the proposed surcharge.

MONROE COUNTY

Chestnuthill Twp.

Eldred Twp.

Hamilton Twp.

Jackson Twp.

Middle Smithfield Twp.

Paradise Twp.

Polk Twp.

Price Twp.

Ross Twp.

Smithfield Twp.

PIKE COUNTY

Blooming Grove Twp.

Delaware Twp.

Dingman Twp.

Greene Twp.

Lackawaxen Twp.

Lehman Twp.

Milford Twp.

Palmyra Twp.

Porter Twp.

Shohola Twp.

State Rep. John Siptroth said the state is unlikely to reapply for tolls in the near future after being rejected for a second time.

"The application process is costly," he said. "I've got a feeling that's not going to happen."

The alternative? Charging municipalities without their own police departments $100 per resident for state police coverage.

Funding for state police for the past 15 years has come from driver license and registration fees and the gasoline tax, said Siptroth, D-189, a member of the House Transportation Committee.

If a state police surcharge is enacted, the revenue from driver license and registration fees and the gasoline tax could be dedicated again to road and bridge maintenance.

Siptroth said it would cover the $450 million needed for highway and bridge improvements.

A state police surcharge would hit half of the 20 Monroe County municipalities and all but three of the 13 municipalities in Pike County covered by state police. Only Milford Borough and Matamoras have municipal police coverage. Westfall has a shared agreement with Matamoras.

In Monroe, Stroud Township, Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg are protected by Stroud Area Regional Police while Pocono Mountain Regional Police cover Mount Pocono, Coolbaugh, Tobyhanna and Tunkhannock. Barrett and Pocono Township have municipal police coverage, and Delaware Water Gap has a part-time force.

Siptroth points out that approval of a state police surcharge would not get any resistance from large metro urban areas, which generally have municipal police forces.

"It sure does (improve chances for a state police tax)," said Siptroth of the defeated tolling application. "Now it's an easy vote because the taxing authority becomes local government to either be a part of a regional police department or have a department of its own or to pay a per capita tax to state police."

Middle Smithfield Township would pay $2.32 million for state police as opposed to an estimated $2 million annual expense to have its own coverage.

Board of Supervisors Chairman Scott Schaller said the I-80 toll rejection "absolutely" improves the chances of a state police surcharge and likewise strengthens his case for a local municipal force.

"I believe the state is looking at any way it can to generate revenue and it is just a matter of time that they try to assess each property owner for police coverage," Schaller said. "I believe it's coming and we're prepared to move forward (with a municipal police department)," said Schaller.
I'd be all in favor of paying for "police" if it meant they actually DID something. Response time for PSP in my area is AT BEST 10 - 15 minutes, normally its measured in hours. The PSP does nothing in our area but write tickets and deal with accidents... and you want me to pay them 100 bucks a year to "cover" our area? get the fuck out of here