Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Decision time!!!!!

So, I've finally saved up and am looking to buy a cc/tactical/2nd round of home defense (after Mossy) handgun.

I think I've narrowed it down to either:
    1) HK USP CT (compact tactical, AKA counter terrorist) .45 threaded barrel
    a) I know I could just get the USP compact...I've thought about it, but you gotta admit that there's something pretty awesome about a gun built just for the U.S. special forces

2) SIG P226 Navy (or Blackwater...or Combat?) 9mm

3) SIG P229 probably .40

I don't want this to be another Sig vs. HK thread, but I was hoping we could weigh in the calibers, the magazine round counts, size, weight, durability etc. of each gun. Because I'm poor and I want the one pistol that I have to really count, it's going to serve multiple functions. Of course, it will be my daily carry, but I also want to do Action Pistol matches with it. I think with a Crossbreed holster I can get away with carrying any of the three (I'm heavier set).
    What do you all think?

The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living
    with power to endanger the public liberty. -John Adams

(Butler County)

Default Re: Decision time!!!!!

Personally I would rank them as follows...

1. HK

2. P229

3. P226

Another thought is that they are all on the heavy side for CC (the HK is about 28oz and the Sigs are both over 2 pounds before you load the mags). If you're looking for a CCW you may want to consider the Ruger SR9C or the S&W 380 Bodyguard (Comes out in May). Mag capacity isn't what the three you have listed are but they are signifigantly lighter (The S&W comes in around 12oz) and are more or less made for CC.
    I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. *Springfield Armory Bi-Tone XDm-40 3.8*

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BringTheRain403 View Post
    Personally I would rank them as follows...

1. HK

2. P229

3. P226

Another thought is that they are all on the heavy side for CC (the HK is about 28oz and the Sigs are both over 2 pounds before you load the mags). If you're looking for a CCW you may want to consider the Ruger SR9C or the S&W 380 Bodyguard (Comes out in May). Mag capacity isn't what the three you have listed are but they are signifigantly lighter (The S&W comes in around 12oz) and are more or less made for CC.
    Hmm...I'll take a look at them...Thanks!
    Although, I did have a full sized 1911 with the CB holster and the weight distribution is amazing...

The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living
    with power to endanger the public liberty. -John Adams

(Philadelphia County)

Well. . . . .

I like sig's over HK.

I like the 229 over the 226. .

I like the .40 over 9mm. . .

So, in my personal opinion, I like the 229 .40.

But whatever you like and shoot best should be your choice.
    Have you shot and held each pistol?

(Monroe County)

the HK has the smallest round capacity, the P229 is slightly smaller than the P226, but has less rounds than the P226 but more than the HK. all three are highly reliable for what you want. the P226 will be the cheapest to practice with if you go with 9mm. the HK will cost the most to feed, unless you reload. the SIGs will have no issues with finding good holsters to CC or OC with. i dont know about the HK with that issue. as far as i know they will all function the same, SA/DA with decockers, i believe. Sigs have no safety, the HK does. if you want to attach a light to the rails, the SIGs will be easier to get stuff for, and the HK needs an adapter for most market stuff that is universal.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Schuylkill County)

If you are looking to go the tactical route, FNH is making the FNP-45 in a tactical package now. FDE color, threaded barrel, mini-holo sight base, range bag. Pretty cool setup.

We have this setup here in the shop. It has the Surefire x400 laser/light on the rail. The whole rig runs about $2100.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

OP, spend some trigger time with the listed pistols if you can. I personally do not buy into the whole tacticool marketing hype. Any high quality handgun that you are proficient with will serve the role you seek. If you are indeed on a budget check out used K and L frame revolvers from Smith and Wesson, or a used Sig autoloader. The money you save could be put towards a ton of ammo to get intimately familiar with your new acquisition.

In short, a more tacticool and expensive handgun does in no way make it more effective. Lead on target is all that matters.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    OP, spend some trigger time with the listed pistols if you can. I personally do not buy into the whole tacticool marketing hype. Any high quality handgun that you are proficient with will serve the role you seek. If you are indeed on a budget check out used K and L frame revolvers from Smith and Wesson, or a used Sig autoloader. The money you save could be put towards a ton of ammo to get intimately familiar with your new acquisition.

In short, a more tacticool and expensive handgun does in no way make it more effective. Lead on target is all that matters.
    ^^^ Definitely what he said. People don't often like to hear it but the best gun for you is one that fits you and you fire well. Tacticool or standard are completely irrelevant. As I have said 1k times before, a solid hit with a .380 is better than a near miss with a .50 BMG.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fazer6PA View Post
    If you are looking to go the tactical route, FNH is making the FNP-45 in a tactical package now. FDE color, threaded barrel, mini-holo sight base, range bag. Pretty cool setup.

We have this setup here in the shop. It has the Surefire x400 laser/light on the rail. The whole rig runs about $2100.

$2100? I'll take 3 thank you very much... I kid, I kid. In all seriousness, I have to agree with the above posters. All the rails and hype and features in the world won't mean jack if the gun isn't a good fit for you. Get your hands on them, shoot them if you can. Then try to think out what you're really gonna use the gun for. Just my 2 cents.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

How about a S&W M&P40c. It is a compact in 40 great for carry. Has a rail for light laser. Buy a storm lake 9mm conversion barrel, shoot 9mm for less cost. Lastly buy xgrip magazine adapters, and use full size M&P magazines 17 round 9mm, 15 round 40 with a full size grip. If you are set on one of the three that you originally posted, I would go with the sig either 226, or 229 in 40 S&W. If you get the 40, 9mm conversion barrels are available for the sigs. You can't go from the 9mm to 40 though. I own a p220, and have tried the hk's, but did not like the hk as it felt top heavy to me.
    Last edited by IraIII; April 16th, 2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: additional info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast