Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Thoughts on my target today

Just wanted to post this up here to try and get some feedback. I am still a pretty new shooter (under 1000 rounds total) and I am trying to just figure out what I am doing wrong. I am going to post up a picture of my target today from the range.

Now the tightness on the group is probably the best that I have done so far, but the only problem is that wasn't the circle I was aiming for. I was aiming at the top right circle. Now I am pretty sure I am jerking the trigger and causing the shots to go low and left. What I don't understand is if I am jerking the trigger how am I still getting good groups?

Gun: XD9 Subcompact
    Range: 7 yards

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Thoughts on my target today

The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(York County)

I hate to be the one to tell you, but...

You missed that quarter by a mile.

ETA... Seriously, nice group!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

Nice group. But with the info you gave us I would say your doin a lil jerkin and a pushin. Remember line your sights up remove the slack in your trigger and slowly sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze trigger straight to the rear. if your worried about finger placement remember the trigger should sit perfectly between your finger tip and the crease of your first knuckle and slowly squeeeeeeze. Also make sure your shooting at the bottom of your exhale. Brother if i was there with you I could have you shootin tight groups in like five minutes but its hard to fix if i cant see what you doing. The positive thing is your hitting paper (some cant) and at that range those are gonna hit a bad guy. Has anybody else shot the gun?? that will tell you if it might be the sights but i doubt it ....just dosent make sense and its a XD! Do you know your dominate eye. Are you right handed or left all questions i would know if i were there.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
    Just wanted to post this up here to try and get some feedback. I am still a pretty new shooter (under 1000 rounds total) and I am trying to just figure out what I am doing wrong. I am going to post up a picture of my target today from the range.

Now the tightness on the group is probably the best that I have done so far, but the only problem is that wasn't the circle I was aiming for. I was aiming at the top right circle. Now I am pretty sure I am jerking the trigger and causing the shots to go low and left. What I don't understand is if I am jerking the trigger how am I still getting good groups?

Gun: XD9 Subcompact
    Range: 7 yards
    Cause your jerking the same way every time, which is good. Consistancy is what you want to strive for, Just tweek your technique a little to get your hits where you are aiming and with the consistancy your groups will shift on target. I had the same trouble with this when I started out, use that target that someone posted and go through a few boxes of ammo verrrrryyyyy slowly, thinking about every trigger pull. I will come naturally once you teach your muscles.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Lawrence County)

The sights could be off.

Really. It happens.

Bag the gun....let other people shoot it.

Lycanbesurethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I agree with Lycan, check the sights on a rest just to save a lot of wondering. You have to shoot just like firing a rifle, hold the sights on target and slowly squeeze until the gun just goes off and surprises you. You should be more focused on your sight picture, if you think about the trigger too much it usually screws you up.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    The sights could be off.

Really. It happens.

Bag the gun....let other people shoot it.

Lycanbesurethrope
    I was thinking this as a possible cause as well. So many reasons, so little information. I certainly don't fault you on that, your new and trying hard and that is important....and commendable. What are you shooting? Rifle, pistol, scoped or open sights, distance? Benched, off hand (no support)? Old gun, new gun(be specific, tell us whatca got)? If open sights, fixed sights or adjustable? Even the brand of bullets can cause an effect. Fill in the blanks for us and we can narrow this down and you can achieve perfection.

Whatever the cause, your actually doing good. The group is consistant. Solve the problem and your quite accurate. BTW, welcome to the shooting sports!
    When the SHTF......be the fan.