Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possibly moving to PA...have ???'s

I currently live in the peoples republic of Illinois, but am looking into a work related move to PA. I have a couple/few questions that I'm hoping someone here can shine a light on. I've looked at several PA gun related sites and still haven't found what I'm looking for. So here goes...

1. How long do I have to be a PA resident before purchasing a gun?

2. How long do I have to be a PA resident before applying for a LTCF? I currently have a non-resident Florida permit, but would want to also obtain a PA permit as well. From what I've read, my references are supposed to be from residents I've known for a year.

3. If that's the case, and I have to wait a year, am I okay being a PA resident carrying on a FL permit?

Sorry to write a book here...but I'm curious about PA rules since IL has stupid stuff like the FOID card. Thanks in advance for your replies.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Possibly moving to PA...have ???'s

I think you just need a PA drivers license or ID card

2. How long do I have to be a PA resident before applying for a LTCF? I currently have a non-resident Florida permit, but would want to also obtain a PA permit as well. From what I've read, my references are supposed to be from residents I've known for a year.
    Unless you're moving to Philly, I don't think your references need to be PA residents. I'm not real sure though.

3. If that's the case, and I have to wait a year, am I okay being a PA resident carrying on a FL permit?
    I looked real hard to fine a law against it before I got mine, but there doesn't seem to be one. PA and FL have a reciprocity agreement, and there doesn't seem to be a law that says PA residents need to have a PA permit in order to carry. As long as you have a valid permit from a reciprocal state, you should be fine. That's not to say that the police can't hassle you for not having a PA permit.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by toddmog View Post
    In order to be considered a resident of any state, you have to prove that you have lived there 3 consecutive months. As far as getting a gun, you will need to prove residency in PA.

Same question as #1 really, there is no where it says you have to know your references for any amount of time. In PA. although the Sheriff may ask they be of the same county, the references can be from any where. (preferably in the US) but in theory, your references could be working in Iraq and live in Texas for all it matters.

You dont need to wait a year, after 3 months you can prove residency, change your permit on arrival, keep bills, rent/lease/mortgage, and paychecks all prove your residency.

Sorry to write a book here...but I'm curious about PA rules since IL has stupid stuff like the FOID card. Thanks in advance for your replies.
    This is a book? its a really short story right? LOL about the FOID, i have a working permit for Illinois, don't that make you wonder?
    Illinois law makes it that in order to dispatch in the state even if i dont live there, I have to have a permit that is for private detectives, private alarm, private security, and locksmiths.
    I also hold permits for Maryland and Arkensas and I am waiting on a permit for Virginia right now.
    Mind you these are all "Working" permits. But all require the same effort and clean record that one would need to get a "carry" working permit in those states.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Talking Re: Possibly moving to PA...have ???'s

Unless you're moving to Philly, I don't think your references need to be PA residents. I'm not real sure though.
    Nothing in the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act says that you have to be a citizen or resident of Pennsylvania or even of the United States to hold a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms (LTCF).

I have noticed that some Issuing Authorities (Sheriff's Departments, Philly Police) like to embellish the standard PA Application form for a LTCF to include things that PA law doesn't really require. These embellishments continue to stand because applicants have not challenged them before PA court(s) of competent jurusdiction in which case any embellishments or tack on application "requirements" not specifically authorized by the PA Uniform Firearms Act would in many cases be nullified & declared void & without effect by the court. Applicants normally just want their License and don't want to "pi** anyone off" and court is expensive so they comply and the tack on "requirements" go unchallenged.

The LTCF application references can be from Timbuktu....it doesn't really matter.

I am a Canadian citizen and have held a PA LTCF for some time as well as a Utah CFP, a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License and a Maine Permit To Carry Concealed Firearms.

The reason I obtained various state CCW permits is that United States criminals sometimes target occupants of vehicles with Canadian vehicle license plates under the assumption that they will be unarmed considering Canada's draconian gun laws........in my case that assumption would be WRONG.

Last edited by pricedo; April 29th, 2009 at 09:37 AM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    In order to be considered a resident of any state, you have to prove that you have lived there 3 consecutive months.

Now I have never been asked how long I lived in PA when I purchased a pistol. Or applied for my permit. Where does it say anything about living for three months when you got any of these things? I bet you could get a PA Drivers License and walk right across the street and purchase a pistol as a PA resident. If this is the case, why can't I get a permit?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Possibly moving to PA...have ???'s

Hey - anyone who can escape IL these days, for the greener fields of PA - heck, I'LL vouch for you!

If you're VERY involved in your church there, one can presume you'll be AS involved here - clergy are always a good reference. Ditto for any service societies you might belong to (Rotary, Lions, Optimists, etc.) - they should be able to vouch for you almost right away, as well as fellow Scouters, if you're involved in Scouting (I am, so that's always a natural for me).

Such organizations will help you make fast LOCAL friends, who you can cite fairly quickly. Besides which, we who are already HERE, can't have ENOUGH fellow & like-minded, armed-AMERICANS at our '6!'

Bob

(Tioga County)

Pa does offer a nonresident LTCF. I know a few people that live in New York State that have one. All they needed to do was to take their New York license into the sherriff's office and show it to them and was able to get one. It took them a couple of weeks to get in the mail and that was because of background checks.

Talking Re: Possibly moving to PA...have ???'s

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Now I have never been asked how long I lived in PA when I purchased a pistol. Or applied for my permit. Where does it say anything about living for three months when you got any of these things? I bet you could get a PA Drivers License and walk right across the street and purchase a pistol as a PA resident. If this is the case, why can't I get a permit?
    Your authority of record should be the Pennsylvania Uniform Fireams Act in all firearms related matters. There is a lot of anecdotal nonsense floating around.

PA is a pre-emptory state...........That means that state law prevails and individual counties, cities, towns, etc. cannot legally "do their own thing" as regards setting qualifiers for a LTCF.......EVEN THOUGH SOME COUNTY SHERIFF'S & CITY POLICE DEPARTMENTS DO ADD "STUFF" TO THE LTCF APPLICATION FORM & PROCESS.

You don't even have to live in PA to be eligible for a LTCF. I am a case in point for my own argument and in fact am a Canadian citizen living in Canada and hold a valid PA LTCF.

I won't speak to the legal aspects & requirements to purchase a firearm in Pennsylvania because I have no first hand personal experience in that matter and anything I could say would be pure conjecture.

I can and will speak to the process for obtaining a PA LTCF..............BEEN THERE !...........DONE THAT !
    Last edited by pricedo; September 21st, 2007 at 08:48 AM.

(Wyoming County)

I'm not sure if this has been stated already but at least in Lack co your references not only have to be P A residents they have to be county residents..

I was a resident of PA for 2 weeks.
    Switched my drivers license from a NYC to a PA. Went and bought the gun that night. (it was a Friday). Went on Monday to the Sheriff and got my LTCF. I used references from NY because I had none in PA. Not one hassle, really, not a one.
    I got "welcome to PA" from both the licensing center and the sheriff. That was my experience, hopefully yours will be just as easy!

Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast