Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Exclamation Got pulled over; Officer took my sidearm.

I was driving home from my gf's last night on 95 and was pulled over. The usual DL, reg, insurance etc thing. I get my wallet out to I can get my DL, pull my DL out & he must;ve seen my LTCF card (behind my DL in my wallet) so he asked if I had a weapon.

Looking back, I supposed I could've/should've said "I don't have anything illegal." But instead I said "Yes." He asked where it was and I told him "my right hip."

He told me to put my hands out the window as he went around to the passenger side of my car to disarm me. He pulled my pistol from the holster & said "H&K?" I replied No, M&P, S&W. He then went back to his, with my pistol, car to run my info.

Several minutes pass & he comes back with my documents and pistol. He ejected the round from the chamber, put it in the mag & left the mag out. Brought it back to my vehicle in this condition. He then put it in my trunk and told me I could go back, load it & re-holster it once he pulled away.

He pulled away & I got out & did just that then proceeded to drive home.

He let me go with just a warning (Pulled over for speeding & not using my turn signal).

I don't know if I should be angry b/c he disarmed me. I can certainly understand why they do & I know I'm not the only one this has happened to. I suppose if it gets me only a warning, I can be ok with it. *shrug*

I think I'll move my LTCF to anotehr slot in the wallet though.

Default Re: Got pulled over; Officer took my sidearm.

This was PSP?

(Chester County)

Why do people not have their info already in hand as the officer comes up to the car. You KNOW they will ask for it. Safer for them and you to just be able to hand it to them right away.

He must have check the non-existent gun registry
    Hoplophobia is funny

that reminds me I need to move my ltcf to another part of my wallet

(Berks County)

Two things you should be pissed about, IMHO, but it's all up to you:

1. He disarmed you, when you showed no sign of initiating violence, as well as no PC/RAS to indicate you had, were in the process of, or were planning to break the law.

2. Not only did he disarm you, but he confiscated your weapon and took it to his car with him. While there's no proof, it's very likely he illegally ran your gun through the purchase database, despite again not having PC/RAS to do so.

Similar situations have been discussed here before, and after a previous discussion I also moved my LTCF out of the section in my wallet where I keep my DL. There's no need to inform them you're carrying, so in the future don't give them a reason to ask.

If nothing else, file a complaint with the department. Depending on how far you want to take it, you could also consult with a lawyer to determine what your options are, if any. Your civil rights were violated, but proving that in court without audio/video of the incident will be difficult, as they'll likely claim your accusations are hearsay.

Good luck to you.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    This was PSP?
    Yes, it was.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Why do people not have their info already in hand as the officer comes up to the car. You KNOW they will ask for it. Safer for them and you to just be able to hand it to them right away.

He must have check the non-existent gun registry
    B/c I'm sure an officer will get uneasy real fast if he sees you leaning over going through the glove etc before he gets to the car.

I always have my hands on the wheel where he can see them when I get pulled over.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    B/c I'm sure an officer will get uneasy real fast if he sees you leaning over going through the glove etc before he gets to the car.

I always have my hands on the wheel where he can see them when I get pulled over.
    As opposed to going through the glove box when he is at your window??

I agree to the second part, just be holding your info when he gets there in your left hand.
    Hoplophobia is funny

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Two things you should be pissed about, IMHO, but it's all up to you:

1. He disarmed you, when you showed no sign of initiating violence, as well as no PC/RAS to indicate you had, were in the process of, or were planning to break the law.

2. Not only did he disarm you, but he confiscated your weapon and took it to his car with him. While there's no proof, it's very likely he illegally ran your gun through the purchase database, despite again not having PC/RAS to do so.

Similar situations have been discussed here before, and after a previous discussion I also moved my LTCF out of the section in my wallet where I keep my DL. There's no need to inform them you're carrying, so in the future don't give them a reason to ask.

If nothing else, file a complaint with the department. Depending on how far you want to take it, you could also consult with a lawyer to determine what your options are, if any. Your civil rights were violated, but proving that in court without audio/video of the incident will be difficult, as they'll likely claim your accusations are hearsay.

Good luck to you.
    And there's always the good old "I disarmed him for officer safety" thing.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Why do people not have their info already in hand as the officer comes up to the car.
    I live in Philly.
    Once you get pulled over if you go reaching for stuff in your pockets before the nice officer comes over you could get real shot real fast. I usually put my hands on the steering wheel where they can see them until I'm asked to produce ID. That being said since I've read several similar threads on this site, I do NOT keep my LTCF anywhere near my DL.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast