Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Ever do a Saiga 7.62x39 conversion?

Anyone ever do a conversion on a Saiga 7.62x39 to make it an AK clone. I looked at some of the conversion videos and am not quite sure if I want to under take this at this time. I just don't know how much special machine work is needed. The guy wants it to accept standard AK magazines along with a pistol grip, AK stock, etc. Also, can you get all the parts in one kit? If so, who has the best one (in your opinion). Thanks for the input.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Ever do a Saiga 7.62x39 conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Anyone ever do a conversion on a Saiga 7.62x39 to make it an AK clone. I looked at some of the conversion videos and am not quite sure if I want to under take this at this time. I just don't know how much special machine work is needed. The guy wants it to accept standard AK magazines along with a pistol grip, AK stock, etc. Also, can you get all the parts in one kit? If so, who has the best one (in your opinion). Thanks for the input.
    I never did a 7.62x39, but I did convert a 308 Saiga into an 8x57mm AK. Aside from turning a barrel from a blank it was pretty straight forward stuff.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm in the middle of a Saiga conversion now. Had to put it aside because life keeps getting in the way but I can tell you that it's not difficult. The average DIY guy can do it in a few hours with common shop tools. No special tools or machine work needed. Forum member Quadzilla started his conversion at the same time as me but he actually finished his

There are several vendors that sell all the needed parts. I got my stuff at Carolina Shooter Supply. There are several other reputable vendors who specialize in Saiga conversion parts including Mississippi Auto Arms.
    Lots of helpful info at the Saiga 12 forum.

I'm certainly no expert but I'd be happy to point you in the right direction for resources.

(Allegheny County)

A true conversion includes installing a bullet guide. And a gas tube that will support a hand guard. And... pressing off the gas block, and FSP to install the lower handguard cap. You can get a split one from dinzag arms to avoid that issue but it costs $.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/

They have the bullet guides too.

MAA has the rest.

I wouldn't say this is a HARD job... just... time consuming if you are doing a complete AKM conversion.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; April 14th, 2010 at 11:53 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah, I was checking out the Dinzag handguard retainer and decided it cost as much or more than the handguards. I bought a hg retainer on GB and made a homebrew split retainer. No pics at the moment, sorry. Total cost was $18.

(Mercer County)

There is no reason that a back half conversion couldn't be done. I happen to like the Saiga fore end. Just use a matching stock and pistol grip, or break out the Krylon Fusion.

My AK-8 which started as a 308 Saiga:

(Blair County)

Yup, the hardest part was threading for the bullet guide. I have a prototype of the Dinzag lower handguard retainer. It is rock solid, but pricey.

When I put mine together there was very few options for bolt on parts. Now the options are endless from Tapco, Carolina Shooters Supply, Tromix, Cobra Customs etc...

If you are doing a basic conversion (ie replacing/moving forward fire control group and setting up for AK mags) then there is no difficult machining that is needed to be done.

If you have any specifics/want someone who's close to watch over your shoulder drop me a line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Centre County)

Thanks all who replied. It looks like it's a straight forward conversion that's all.

Scoutjoe, if anything happens or I need some help, I'll holler at you.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member