Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: ACT-235

(Allegheny County)

Default ACT-235

Hello Guys.

I am thinking to apply for ACT-235. I do know the application's fees but I need to know the costs of The physical and psychological examination and the costs of the tuition in advance. your help is appreciated.

I got another questions. if I relocate to Florida, am I going to be able to work with PA act-235?
    Last edited by shenango; April 15th, 2010 at 11:47 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: ACT-235

I am pretty sure you have to just go find a doctor and pay whatever their fee is. I don't think there is a set fee.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Pike County)

Google search PA Act 235. All the necessary steps will be presented. Its been a while, but iirc, you pay what the doc, the shrink, the state, and the class costs are. They vary by where you go. Do not confuse this with Act 120 as they are very different. Also, Act 235 is only good for employment carrying a firearm, ie private security jobs. It also costs about 1/4 of the Act 120 (police academy) program. Be sure of what you are looking for as neither is cheap, and both are a waste if you don't use them. My 2 cents.
    Semper Fidelis

(Pike County)

Howdy shenango,

As others have said, costs vary. Check with your Dr. and see if he/she does 235 physicals. Also, if you have health ins. will it cover any/all of a physical?
    The doc I went to was $118 last year, but my ins picked up all but $15.
    The psych fees appear to vary more, from what I have seen anywhere from $100 to $200.
    If I may, also be aware that the cost of the school can vary a bit, so if you have multile places in your area that give the class you may want to shop around. As I recall, the school I went to was $225.
    Another cost some forget is ammo, which can be $$$ depending on what you shoot. The class I attended wanted you to have 250 rounds. Also find out the range requirements of where you will be shooting, for example no magnum rds. If you don't own a gun, does the range rent? If so, how much $, and do you have to use their ammo, or can you bring your own?
    Best of luck!

(Allegheny County)

I got another questions. if I relocate to Florida, am I going to be able to work with PA act-235?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by shenango View Post
    You will be only able to use your PA Act 235 for work in PA.

FL has a different standard and differing laws. You will need to take FL's guard classes for licensing/cert'ing there. FL's Armed Guard is a "Class G License" and is a 3 day course(28hrs), which may be on top of the D license requirements below.

The unarmed guard is a "Class D License" 40hrs of training, 24hrs of which is up front for a temp license. Then you have 180days to complete the remaining 16hrs.

Note too: In FL you are limited to ".38 caliber" firearms or less. Which means: .38spl, 9mm, .380acp, the various .32 caliber guns. NO .357mag cartridges allowed, but you can use a .357mag gun with .38spl's.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

The only things that transfer from PA to FL are Act 120 (Police) and Act 2 (Sheriff). Both are only good after you numbers are active in PA and a few more criteria. I'm not sure what they are. Shop around for the psychological evaluation, they range in price from $150 up to $400. Depends who you go to. Like I said earlier, its all a waste if you don't use it. If you have specific questions, feel free to pm me as I don't get on here as much as I should.
    Semper Fidelis