Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Monroe county LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Nope thats how WE feel, at least anyone that wasn't a transplant here.

If you think its nice now you should have saw it 20+ years ago! wow what an amazing place to live back then
    I moved here 20 years ago, and it was great. Now, all the scumbags and miscreants that moved here as well, I have no affiliation with. That being said, just because someone is from NY or NJ, if they are attempting to obtain their LTCF, so they can lawfully carry, being a prick to them/adding extra, illegal requirements to make it harder for them, does no good at all.

Keep in mind, the people applying for their LTCF are likely GOOD, law abiding, like minded people. Not the jerk offs that you, and myself included, have come to despise.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Sure, because the people who get in and out in 15 minutes have no reason to post/complain. If you notice the only people complaining are from the same 5 or 6 counties that make you wait 45 days, and add extra requirements.
    Hmmmm, OK, that makes sense.

Here in Fayette when I got mine about 8 years ago, I waited about 35 calendar days, although that was over the Christmas & New Year holiday period, so that probably added to the wait time.

However, my renewal took like 10 minutes. I think the time was less because it was a renewal.

(Monroe County)

The guy across the street is a genuine Pennsylvania Dutchman having been born and raised in Lancaster County, PA. Twenty-five years ago, he moved with his wife from Queens, New York having been employed there for about ten-years with the NYPD as a police officer.

Hear gripes all the time from him about the hostile and stupid local yokels who still resent the "outsiders" as they term anybody who isn't some form of native inbred throwback like themselves. This goes on and on!

He had a License to Carry a Firearm in Monroe County since the 1980s until it was revoked about three years. It seems that he, along with two buddies were talked into a plea bargain for "stealing" a gallon of gasoline and three hub caps valued at $13.00 back in 1962. At the time, he thought that it was all such nonsense and groundless that the charge would be thrown out of court. A court lawyer told them to plead guilty. As it turned out, he had just turned age 18 and the judge convicted. He had to hand over $13 to the lying gas station guy and was released. Somehow, on the record, what he thought was a misdemeanor appears now on the computerization database as a criminal conviction. So forty-eight years later, the Sheriff Department of Monroe County revokes the guy's Firearms License for being a convicted felon.

Interesting place is Monroe County, PA.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
    The guy across the street is a genuine Pennsylvania Dutchman having been born and raised in Lancaster County, PA. Twenty-five years ago, he moved with his wife from Queens, New York having been employed there for about ten-years with the NYPD as a police officer.

Hear gripes all the time from him about the hostile and stupid local yokels who still resent the "outsiders" as they term anybody who isn't some form of native inbred throwback like themselves. This goes on and on!

He had a License to Carry a Firearm in Monroe County since the 1980s until it was revoked about three years. It seems that he, along with two buddies were talked into a plea bargain for "stealing" a gallon of gasoline and three hub caps valued at $13.00 back in 1962. At the time, he thought that it was all such nonsense and groundless that the charge would be thrown out of court. A court lawyer told them to plead guilty. As it turned out, he had just turned age 18 and the judge convicted. He had to hand over $13 to the lying gas station guy and was released. Somehow, on the record, what he thought was a misdemeanor appears now on the computerization database as a criminal conviction. So forty-eight years later, the Sheriff Department of Monroe County revokes the guy's Firearms License for being a convicted felon.

Interesting place is Monroe County, PA.

Sounds like there's more to that story that he's not telling. If he's active or retired LEO does he even need a license to carry?

(Monroe County)

Sounds like there's more to that story that he's not telling. If he's active or retired LEO does he even need a license to carry?
    Perhaps it doesn't fit into somebody's diminutive viewpoint of the world, but that's the story as fact.

The guy was a cop over 25-years ago in New York City. Perhaps he doesn't know about this referenced reciprocal carry a gun forever anywhere cop thing. Do know that in Massachusetts, all police officers had to possess a valid "License to Carry Firearms" for "Protection of Life and Property". Remember comparing my firearms license with friends and fellow gun collectors. One was (is) a Boston city cop and the other Mass state trooper. Their firearms licenses were the exact same documents as the one that I carried. Of course each state varies in laws and procedures. By comparison, Pennsylvania seems to be an easy place to get a gun permit.

Getting back to the gist of the posting . . . After coming to Poconos in the 1980s, the man described worked for Monroe county as a truck diesel mechanic becoming shop supervisor. He retired a couple of years ago having put in over 25-years there. This ain't some drunken local redneck kid running around getting into bar fights and trouble. He's a 66-year old law abiding citizen with grandchildren who's involved in civic organizations and his church. Some sheriff flatfoot explained the situation to him and cited the 1963 conviction on the $13 gasoline & hub cap wrap as the reason for his losing the gun carry permit.

It is my supposition that this is more liberal leftist political subterfuge in order to claim that they're controlling access to guns by felons. Some district attorney hack can use the resultant statistical contrivance for political purposes. If there are not enough criminals holding gun permits then you just create them out of thin air with a computer database.

There was a news story awhile ago in the Pocono fish wrap newspaper about a couple of other older guys in the same situation. It was mentioned that they needed to file for a "pardon" with the governor's board in Harrisburg, PA.

Told the neighbor that I'd do the paperwork for him but he doesn't want to bother with it at this point. Seems that the guy despises government almost as much as I do. Actually, I'm somewhat glad that he's decided not to pursue the matter down that path as there's no need to go to Harrisburg and try to deal with more rude bureaucrat toads.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; July 31st, 2011 at 11:56 AM.

Still doesn't make sense.
    Was his ltcf revoked or denied?
    I know your post says revoked, but are you certain that's the case.
    Last edited by God's Country; July 31st, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Wyoming County)

As far as his carry from being a former police officer...it isn't quite that simple...he has to qualify annually with a police department...etc...etc
    And
    There is something wrong with this story...a felony would stop a carry permit...only certain misdemeanors qualify to stop the permit...his is not one of them. Just saying

(Monroe County)

felony would stop a carry permit...only certain misdemeanors qualify to stop the permit
    Okay . . .for the eighth friggen time. . . . the thing now appears on the guy's record as a FELONY conviction and not a Misdemeanor. I went over this horsecrap with him in tentative preparation for helping draw up paperwork for the Board of Pardons in Harrisburg.

I know your post says revoked
    I used the wrong word. When it came up to renew the license, his having had one for probably twenty or so years, the guy was "denied" and told by a friendly Sheriff's deputy about the felony conviction that had been flagged in the "new" database. Actually saw a printout at some time showing the conviction, date, court and judge's name. The court was somewhere in Lancaster County back in 1962. Remember checking out the court too and the judge of course is long since dead and forgotten.

The information here is from three years ago when I was going over all this stuff for him and now stating from recollection.

We have no idea what sort of nonsense these government asshole miscreants did within their record database to elevate some trivial ancient misdemeanor conviction into a FELONY but they apparently did so and not just to one person. Maybe some work release scumbag or welfare mother given the job to data entry paper records thought it would be cute to switch misdemeanors into felony convictions. Perhaps too, they may have been instructed to do so? Who the heck knows? Conspiracy theories are spawned! Never in my life heard of a $13 felony but in this situation it seems to be at least on record.

Then too, it may have been listed as a felony conviction all this time and went unnoticed until showing up in a new computerized system. But to have this thing show up nearly a half-century later is unnerving. Makes a person wonder though as to how many other skeletons from long ago are ready to jump out of the closet and kick a guy in the ass.

How many times have most of us been victims of wrong information entered into an electronic computerized database? Once incorrect data gets into the system it's as if it were chiseled in granite stone. Every few years the Social Security administration stooges send a letter to my aunt Lillian telling the old lady that she's dead and her monthly checks have been stopped. Lil is 91 years old now and I've had to get that same bullshit straightened out for her in three separate episodes over the years.

From information derived and to our understanding in order for this man to get back his License to Carry firearms, he needs to be granted a pardon from the Governor of Pennsylvania and have the record sealed.

At this point, he doesn't want to bother jumping through hoops or incurring expenses for something that's actually unimportant to him.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; July 31st, 2011 at 05:26 PM.

(Lehigh County)

If he wasn't convicted of a felony, then why isn't he paying a lawyer to get the record fixed?

I'm hesitent to believe anyone who would apply for a pardon for a level of crime they were never convicted of, rather than work to correct the record.

(Monroe County)

If he wasn't convicted of a felony, then why isn't he paying a lawyer to get the record fixed?
    Gee . . .do ya think that you might be somewhat generous with other people's money? Why should he pay to hire some shyster lawyer for thousands of dollars in legal fees to straighten out an apparent government bureaucrat screw up? He first went to a lawyer and that attorney wanted (as we'd expect) a $1,500 retainer to start the process. Should ad at this point that my neighbor is a very frugal man and won't even buy cable of satellite TV service. Instead, he uses an old roof top antenna to pick up three fuzzy local yokel channels out of Wilkes Barre.

For a hundred or two bucks he could apply for the pardon nonsense and be done with it. Aside from all that, he apparently doesn't care enough about this gun license hoopla to even bother with anymore. Might suppose too that not all guys get their morning wood by being able to run around packing a weapon concealed. Should he ever get the urge, I've invited him to our other house up in New England. The Vermont border is about 15-miles away where a person can roam the landscape carrying a concealed handgun to their heart's content without government permission of any kind.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; July 31st, 2011 at 07:29 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast