Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Which pistol for urban/wilderness survival kit?

Smith and Wesson came out with a wilderness survival kit centered around their snubby x-framed revolvers a few years back. Of course this kit was intended to thwart a bear attack more than anything. More recently they've put together an urban-themed kit, termed "disaster kit," which is centered around their Sigma series pistol.

Turth be told, I'm not interested in either of those guns as my kit's centerpiece as I'd like to make a more utilitarian kit which would comfortable in the trunk, closet, or lashed to the frame of my backpack.

What I've been thinking lately is Glock to fit the bill, but I'm undecided on caliber or length. However, I'm not limiting myself to them. I'd like to know what other people think.

What gun would you use for a dual-purpose kit (urban/wilderness survival) and why?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Which pistol for urban/wilderness survival kit?

I have been a practicing survivalist since the late 80's and i can tell you that there is no urban/ wilderness survival pistol, in an urban situation you will need to survive against other humans and lots of them , which means you will need a high cap 9 mm, such as a Glock 19 or 17, i also would recommend the Ruger P89.

In the wilderness you will need to survive against other humans, wild animals and to feed yourself, you will need more than one gun, you will need a .357,44mag or 45 colt for defense, then you will need a .22lr to feed yourself.
    This just to begin, ideally you should have a rifle, preferebly a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 or a nice Bolt .22.
    keep it light and simple , no exotic calibers like .357 sig, .38 super or even .40. Carry what everybody and the police and military carry- 9mm, you will always get a reload, but ideally you should always stockpile ammo. you can get 9mm ammo anywhere you go in the world

Again with the rifles carry what everybody else carry, .22lr, .223/5.56, .308, 7.62x39 , 30-30, 30-06, no exotic rounds like 7mm-08, 6.8 spc, 5.7 fn, .204 ruger etc.

Mike

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    I have been a practicing survivalist since the late 80's and i can tell you that there is no urban/ wilderness survival pistol, in an urban situation you will need to survive against other humans and lots of them , which means you will need a high cap 9 mm, such as a Glock 19 or 17, i also would recommend the Ruger P89.

In the wilderness you will need to survive against other humans, wild animals and to feed yourself, you will need more than one gun, you will need a .357,44mag or 45 colt for defense, then you will need a .22lr to feed yourself.
    This just to begin, ideally you should have a rifle, preferebly a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 or a nice Bolt .22.
    keep it light and simple , no exotic calibers like .357 sig, .38 super or even .40. Carry what everybody and the police and military carry- 9mm, you will always get a reload, but ideally you should always stockpile ammo. you can get 9mm ammo anywhere you go in the world

Again with the rifles carry what everybody else carry, .22lr, .223/5.56, .308, 7.62x39 , 30-30, 30-06, no exotic rounds like 7mm-08, 6.8 spc, 5.7 fn, .204 ruger etc.

Mike
    +1 Good info
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

My SHTF guns are all chambered in NATO rounds

9mm pistol
    .223 AR
    .308 Bolt with a heavy barrel
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Philadelphia County)

Glock is a good platform for a survival kit.

You don't really need to worry about rain, mud, ect. . .

As for caliber, I'd go with what YOU can shoot.
    I choose .40.

You can't really go for a round that "everyone uses".

Cause everyone does not use "one" round.
    Police departments use 9mm, .40, .45.

State Police use .45 GAP.

Ect. . .

So I would find a round that your good with, and STOCK it up. I find it to be a VERY bad idea to rely on others in a survival situation to have your ammo for you.

(Montgomery County)

urban/wilderness survival I'd go with a .357 6" barrel. You can hunt with it, you can scare a bear with it, you can reasonably carry it (I wouldn't conceal carry it, but you "could"), and you can shoot someone with it.

If you are talking survival, that's what I'd go with for a pistol or even single gun. After that a .22lr rifle for a pure survival gun. List grows from there along the lines that other people have said.

Personally I think a 1911 .45 acp as a side arm with lots of magazines and a 12 ga with a spectrum of shot shells, from low brass #8 shot for food to 3" mag buck and ball for personal defense to slugs for big game when available. People will argue about the capacity to carry more ammo in other calibers but aim is not as critical with a shot gun. And low brass will do just fine on a zombie at close range. And there is a lot of 12 ga ammo around
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Centre County)

I guess I'd recommend having a long gun and a pistol in the same caliber. The possibilities are endless and limited by the cash in your bank account and how much weight you want to carry. How about a lever gun and a revolver in the same caliber (awesome reliability for both)? How about a Kel-Tec Sub2k and a Glock?--they use the same mags and shoot the same bullets. How about the new PMR-30 from Kel-Tec and a lever gun/ bolt gun in 22 mag?

Personally, I have a Sub2k in 40 and a Glock 23. Got a Lone Wolf conversion barrel to shoot 9mm out of the G23. The Sub2k easily folds up to fit in a backpack. You could also get some 31 round .40 mags to have some serious short range capability. The only problem is ammo availability in 40S&W if things go bad or I run out.

I may get flamed here, but I think in a emergency situation, the .40S&W *could* get me a small deer or hog or something similar. Not that I would hunt with it, obviously.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Montgomery County)

Flick no flame here. If it's an emergency I'd try to get anything I could with what I had.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    I guess I'd recommend having a long gun and a pistol in the same caliber. The possibilities are endless and limited by the cash in your bank account and how much weight you want to carry. How about a lever gun and a revolver in the same caliber (awesome reliability for both)? How about a Kel-Tec Sub2k and a Glock?--they use the same mags and shoot the same bullets. How about the new PMR-30 from Kel-Tec and a lever gun/ bolt gun in 22 mag?

Personally, I have a Sub2k in 40 and a Glock 23. Got a Lone Wolf conversion barrel to shoot 9mm out of the G23. The Sub2k easily folds up to fit in a backpack. You could also get some 31 round .40 mags to have some serious short range capability. The only problem is ammo availability in 40S&W if things go bad or I run out.

I may get flamed here, but I think in a emergency situation, the .40S&W *could* get me a small deer or hog or something similar. Not that I would hunt with it, obviously.
    A .40 sw thru a 4 inch barrel will drop an adult whitetail at 50 meters....I promise.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast