Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default My Seecamp .380 got evicted

My .380 Seecamp got evicted from it's primary residence in my right front pocket & has become a safe queen lately.

In Jan I finished testing a recently purchased Rohrbaugh R9. Finally was able fire 1000 rounds through the little pup and 5 recoil springs changes (factory says change the recoil spring every 200 rounds) later,I deemed it reliable enough for carry in the spot of honor [right front pocket].

The fit & finish on the Rohrbaugh is second to none and in the same class as the Seecamp. Reliability has been fantastic I fired 1,000 round of mixed 9MM's from Blazers, Winchester White Box, American Eagle, Federal Hydra Shocks, Corbons, Silvertips, Golden Sabers, & Speer Gold Dots without a malfunction of any kind.

It took 20 range sessions to fire the 1,000 rounds through the little "beastie". For a 9MM this light & "tiny" the pup has as a kick like a mule. I would only shoot 50 rounds per session. The pup is meant to shot a little & carried a Lot. If a want to shoot up a lot of 9MMs my German made P226 gets the call, because there is no recoil to deal with.

I miss the Seecamp as I had a Seecamp in my right front pocket for more years than I want to remember. I was the first kid on my block to own .25acp, .32acp, & .380 Seecamp.

I am thinking now that summer is coming and we'll be spending time in Texas, OK, Florida, N.C. & Tenn. that it may be too much of pain to carry my Delta Elite as a primary so I thinking about ordering a left hand in the pocket holster for the Seecamp, making the Rohrbaugh the primary & the Seecamp the BUG.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: My Seecamp .380 got evicted

Very nice choices, both of them... In my opinion, there are really only two brands of pocket pistols that are entirely in a league of their own, in terms of refinement, quality, materials, fit/finish, and design - And you own them both.

Congrats. Now go try and convince some people on various gun forums that "...the Rohrbaugh is only rated for a couple hundred rounds." Many people mis-read Rohrbaugh's advice on recoil spring replacement to mean that a $1k+ pistol is only rated for a life span of a couple hundred rounds...

Glad the R9 is working out for you.

Regards,

Bones

ETA - Nothing against KelTec PF9, Ruger LCP, etc. etc. Just saying - Rohrbaugh and Seecamp are a few notches above the rest in terms of quality (OK, and price, too!)
    Last edited by JoeyBones; April 13th, 2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added KelTec, LCP, etc. disclaimer!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    My .380 Seecamp got evicted from it's primary residence in my right front pocket & has become a safe queen lately.

In Jan I finished testing a recently purchased Rohrbaugh R9. Finally was able fire 1000 rounds through the little pup and 5 recoil springs changes (factory says change the recoil spring every 200 rounds) later,I deemed it reliable enough for carry in the spot of honor [right front pocket].

The fit & finish on the Rohrbaugh is second to none and in the same class as the Seecamp. Reliability has been fantastic I fired 1,000 round of mixed 9MM's from Blazers, Winchester White Box, American Eagle, Federal Hydra Shocks, Corbons, Silvertips, Golden Sabers, & Speer Gold Dots without a malfunction of any kind.

It took 20 range sessions to fire the 1,000 rounds through the little "beastie". For a 9MM this light & "tiny" the pup has as a kick like a mule. I would only shoot 50 rounds per session. The pup is meant to shot a little & carried a Lot. If a want to shoot up a lot of 9MMs my German made P226 gets the call, because there is no recoil to deal with.

I miss the Seecamp as I had a Seecamp in my right front pocket for more years than I want to remember. I was the first kid on my block to own .25acp, .32acp, & .380 Seecamp.

I am thinking now that summer is coming and we'll be spending time in Texas, OK, Florida, N.C. & Tenn. that it may be too much of pain to carry my Delta Elite as a primary so I thinking about ordering a left hand in the pocket holster for the Seecamp, making the Rohrbaugh the primary & the Seecamp the BUG.

oracle

Jealous...

I think the R9 is a fantastic piece, if you can afford it.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

200rds on the recoil spring change? That's an incredibly short service interval!

I'm almost stunned.

(Franklin County)

Looked it up~hadn't heard of it before
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Adams County)

Mount, How easy is the Rohrbaugh to field strip? I saw a video and even the op had a little difficulty. My Seecamp can be tricky but after a few times one can get the hang of it. I have both the LWS380 and a LWS32. I have been pondering an R9.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by saltz1979 View Post
    Mount, How easy is the Rohrbaugh to field strip? I saw a video and even the op had a little difficulty. My Seecamp can be tricky but after a few times one can get the hang of it. I have both the LWS380 and a LWS32. I have been pondering an R9.
    IMHO
    I purchased the Rohrbaugh R9 Stealth which has the slide coated with Titan coat C-12 [whatever that is]. It supposed to provide wear resistance, reduce friction, along with anti-galling properties.
    My R9 is not any harder to field strip than the Seecamp after the first disassembly.
    I think I am one of the lucky one as have all three Seecamps the LWS 25, 32, & 380. I sure hope that Seecamp comes up a 9mm of some ilk.

oracle
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; April 13th, 2010 at 08:54 PM.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    200rds on the recoil spring change? That's an incredibly short service interval!

I'm almost stunned.
    Changing the recoil spring at 200 rounds as recommend by the factory is no big deal. The recoil spring is so small/tiny that I will follow the recommendation from the factory. Recoil springs sell for $5.00 from Rohrbaugh and when I ordered the "pup" I had them sent 5 extra recoil springs and 2 more magazines.

oracle

(Allegheny County)

$5 a spring isn't that bad I guess. But 200 rds just seemed like a low round count to have to service the pistol to me. Most pistols go thousands of rounds without needing a recoil spring change. Some do it without even cleaning them...

Sorry if I seemed so surprised.

Oops! Almost forgot!
    Pics or it didn't happen!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    $5 a spring isn't that bad I guess. But 200 rds just seemed like a low round count to have to service the pistol to me. Most pistols go thousands of rounds without needing a recoil spring change. Some do it without even cleaning them...

Sorry if I seemed so surprised.

Oops! Almost forgot!
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    Full power (9mm) round in such a tiny form factor... Only so much room for slide travel, and only so much room for a recoil spring - So a compromise is needed somewhere. With the Rohrbaugh, that compromise comes in the form of the recoil spring taking a real beating, and thus requiring far more frequent replacement.

I mean honestly, it's an amazing engineering feat that such a tiny pistol can handle 9mm (even though it's not technically rated for +P, I have talked to guys who said they shoot +P through theirs occasionally without issue - I personally would be afraid of unnecessary wear due to the aforementioned super-close operational tolerances and dependence upon recoil spring for proper operation).

While a bit different than the maintenance needs of basically any other modern pistol on the market, IMO it is worth it for what you get in return (a "real" caliber in an ultra-small pocket pistol - No offense to 380, BTW)

And BTW, +1 on pics... Did yours come w/ the carbon fiber grips? I can't recall if those were standard on the R9 or the R9s...

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; April 15th, 2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling - D'oh!