Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default US Senate fails to restore Habeas Corpus

FYI - This is an opinion piece, but related to news on yesterday's voting session in the US Senate.
    http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?pid=234404

The voting record is here:
    http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00340

Text of the above opinion article is above:
    Senate Fails on Habeas Corpus
    Ari Melber

Today the US Senate fell four votes short of restoring Habeas Corpus, the fundamental constitutional right of individuals to challenge government detention, which the Republican Congress revoked in last year's Military Commissions Act. Fifty-six senators supported a procedural move to tie the Habeas provision to legislation authorizing defense spending--a step that requires sixty votes.

The amendment was sponsored by Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy, Senator Arlen Specter, who voted for the legislation that the amendment attempts to reverse, and Senator Chris Dodd, who blasted today's vote. "Each of us in the Senate faced a decision either to cast a vote in favor of helping to restore America's reputation in the world, or to help dig deeper the hole of utter disrespect for the rule of law that the Bush Administration has created. Unfortunately, too many of my colleagues chose the latter," he said.

Backers of the amendment and human rights organizers say they will continue to press for habeas restoration. Leah Adler, an organizer with Working Assets, wrote today that activists should focus on the U.S. House, which will "likely consider legislation to restore habeas corpus in the next few weeks."

Today's vote also suggests a new Senate majority for Habeas Corpus. (Last Congress, a similar amendment did not even break 50 votes.) And yes, it is a sad sign that we are reduced to counting votes for which members of Congress are upholding their oath to support the Constitution.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: US Senate fails to restore Habeas Corpus

I've got my Habeas Corpus in my right pocket, console of truck and littered around the house.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

I think I liked it better when politicians at least pretended to have our best interests in mind.

...and so it goes.

(Cumberland County)

If it is so damn important why are they tieing it to a defense spending bill. I'm tired of them sneaking all this stuff in.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I've got my Habeas Corpus in my right pocket, console of truck and littered around the house.
    That's a noble thought, but at the end of the day every US citizen still has a Constitutional right that's been suspended and not restored. Don't know about you, but that bothers me, regardless of whether or not I can effectively defend myself against those who wish to impose their injustice upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    If it is so damn important why are they tieing it to a defense spending bill. I'm tired of them sneaking all this stuff in.
    It's politics; it sucks, but that's the way it is. It was done so that:

- it was more likely to even get a vote, as many things just don't even make it to the floor
    - it was less likely to find opposition, as there are multiple issues for which each senator's vote must be used

AFA I'm concerned, if the idiots that attached RealID to an appropriations bill to take away our rights can do so, then those who value liberty should also be allowed to do the same to attempt and restore our rights. Too bad it didn't work.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

is it time to water the tree of liberty?
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    It's probably going to need more than water. Might need a couple truckloads of fertilizer as well.

Proud member of:

(Allegheny County)

Unhappy Re: US Senate fails to restore Habeas Corpus

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    History repeats itself, but I am not sure if I should be reading "Fall of the Roman Empire" by Gibbons or "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by Shirer. I have a sinking feeling either one would apply.

Wrong>>>>>After seeing the roster of votes I am sure I will not cast a vote for a single Republican in the next election, unless they are a former Libertarian.<<<<<

I saw that Specter voted yea. I will vote for him. He is a good guy!
    Last edited by Broomhandle; September 22nd, 2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Forgot that Specter voted yea.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    It's probably going to need more than water. Might need a couple truckloads of fertilizer as well.
    I think there's already too much fertilizer in the political arena.
    Any direction you look is thick with bullshit.

(Bucks County)

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-09-19-voa38.cfm

Congress revoked the right of habeas corpus for non-U.S. citizens declared by the U.S. government as enemy combatants when it passed the Military Commissions Act last year.

Flame away but I'm fine with it. Never understood the concept of the Bill of Rights applying to non-U.S. citizens, especially those caught on the battle field fighting against us. OK to shoot them but God forbid we don't read them their rights and give them a lawyer if we catch them alive

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the Al Qaeda leader who was the primary architect of the September 11th attacks and who confessed to decapitated Daniel Pearl on video also asked for a lawyer when caught. I'm fine with them taking this piece of shit to a CIA dark hole instead. Tickled pink that this cowardly butcher lasted all of 2.5 minutes underwater before crying like a baby and gave up a few of his pals which resulted in stopping other plots that would have killed more innocent Americans.

Habeas corpus and ALL rights guaranteed to all US Citizens should be not negotiable but for non-U.S. citizens? Yeah, I'm sleeping fine about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast