Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Anyone Seen/Tried the New Beretta 92A1 and 96A1

I own a Beretta 92FS in 9mm that I bought a few months ago and am wondering if I missed out by not waiting for this new line of Berettas.

My 92FS doesn't have an accessory rail, while the new ones do.

Has anyone actually seen, handled, and/or shot the new A1s?

If so, how are they different from the previous 92FS models?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Anyone Seen/Tried the New Beretta 92A1 and 96A1

Its similer in appearance with current M9 pistol.
    But my understanding is that 92A1(and 96A1 as well) is to combining the best elements of the 92FS and the 90-Two.

Now some of the changes I did noticed on 92A1:
    1-Rounded trigger guard - Updated styling to conform with current pistol gripping practices.
    2-Captive recoil spring assembly: The single-piece design simplifies the assembly and disassembly process and minimizes the possibility of spring loss
    3-Removable front sight: Allows the user to easily replace a damaged sight or replace it with an accessory sight - This is HUGE plus in my eye..
    4-Internal recoil buffer: Increases service life by reducing stress on the receiver. Not sure if this is on both 92 and 96 or just on 96..
    5-17 rounds in 9mm. 92FS and M9 are 15rds. comes with 2 mag. But 92A1 comes with 3 magazines. I do believe that M9A1's mags are Sand-Resistant type magazine thats designed for the sandy environments of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Thats what I know. Its also not available until July I think

92A1

92FS

M9A1
    Last edited by Mity2; April 13th, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Berks County)

I have an older model 96 which is my favorite gun. I have never had a single issue with it. It runs anything I put in it and is very accurate. Some people hate the first double action pull but I'm used to my revolvers so its not a big deal. I was looking to buy my first glock but I think I'll put the money towards one of these. Thanks for the post!!! Now to decide which model to buy the 92ai or the 96ai. I guess if my older 96 mags and the new 96ai mags are interchangeable I'll go with the .40 model.

(Centre County)

I have 96D, and I LOVE it.
    dependable, and accurate, and I even like the DAO trigger.

I have been considering buying 92, but these 92A1 is nice(minus the rounded trigger guard. I think it look sort of stupid)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(York County)

So, it's just a railed 92fs? Am I missing something else?

The M9A1 version looks a lot like the Vertec but without the smaller back strap.

Edit: Thanks Mity2, didn't see your post at first. The removable sights would come in handy for upgrading to night sights.
    Last edited by 24/7dude; April 13th, 2010 at 10:51 AM.

I know this thread goes back a ways, but I just bought a new model Beretta 96 A1, I owned a 92FS back in the mid 90s like it alot but wasn't a big fan of the 9MM. and later when the .40 cal came out I was going to swap it out by selling my 92 then buying the 90TWO, but had been told the higher pressures in the 40 had heavy wear problems. so I didn't go thru with the switch. The new models claim to have fixed the problem, so I took the plung I bought one. Went to the range today and was not dissapointed!!! I was very impressed. It was well worth the wait.
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

(Monroe County)

"much a do about nothing" as they say

Quote Originally Posted by 6.8Shooter View Post
    I own a Beretta 92FS in 9mm that I bought a few months ago and am wondering if I missed out by not waiting for this new line of Berettas.

My 92FS doesn't have an accessory rail, while the new ones do.

Has anyone actually seen, handled, and/or shot the new A1s?

If so, how are they different from the previous 92FS models?

456 - I wouldn't mind add it to my collections I've always like the Beretta and one with an accessory rail would be awesome. The one I handled seemed to have a reconfigured grip (I've never had a problem with 92/96s grips) but these feel even better, it had nice trijacon nightsights on it. I really wanted it but the near Sig like price of $625 made me back off. Looking at a stainless steel Tarurus PT92 with accessory rail and adj rear sights for $425, I wish I could get both but I think I'll wait on the Beretta. Also saw a blue steel Taurus with ac rail for $325 on sale at Academy they were sold out when I got there in the used car world they call that primer advertisment.

They have plenty of the 92/96A1s Berretas at OD America, $625 damn.
    Last edited by Neko456; October 18th, 2010 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker View Post
    I know this thread goes back a ways, but I just bought a new model Beretta 96 A1, I owned a 92FS back in the mid 90s like it alot but wasn't a big fan of the 9MM. and later when the .40 cal came out I was going to swap it out by selling my 92 then buying the 90TWO, but had been told the higher pressures in the 40 had heavy wear problems. so I didn't go thru with the switch. The new models claim to have fixed the problem, so I took the plung I bought one. Went to the range today and was not dissapointed!!! I was very impressed. It was well worth the wait.
    456 - Of the six Berettas I own 4 are 40 cal under intense test fire of various different loads they show littlle or no wear. They do recoil more then the Cadillac roll of the 92 in 9mm but its very controllable. I shoot the 40 cal just about as accurately as the 9mm. I don't have the same report of accessivce wear in 40 cal that you state. The 96/92s are my most reliable & durable pistols almost on par with my revolvers, Glocks are close but they don't like light target loads.

(York County)

Am I one of the only people out there who still uses the contoured trigger guard? I've been shooting that way for a while, still do on all my Glocks and my other service-style pistols (M9, FNP45, EAA Witness, etc). Why did they go back to the curved smooth trigger guard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast