Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Open carry confusion

Ok I am confused about some things I've seen stated about open carry in Pa. People are saying that they don't need a LTC to open carry in PA .. However from what I've read of the law the only place they could take it is too and from a range or gunsmith. It seems that many are implying that they can carry there gun openly whereever they want?????????????????

(Venango County)

Default Re: Open carry confusion

well....you are talking 2 different animals here. The carrying directly to and from pertains to carrying in a car, which is loosely regarded as concealed. The Open Carry is on foot only, basically there's no law against it, unless it is in a prohibited place.
    The LTCF is for concealment, car carry, and any carry in a city of the First class, the only one we have being Philly.

Someone more knowledgeable will post along shortly to explain it better

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Someone more knowledgeable will post along shortly to explain it better
    you summed it up quite well.

(Luzerne County)

Yeah, what Mark said You can't carry in a vehicle w/out a LCTF (OC or CC)

Check out the two threads stickied at the top of this section:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...nsylvania.html

(Wyoming County)

So you are saying as long as I'm not in a vehicle and the gun is exposed none of this applys?
    Any person carrying a firearm "in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person" is required to have a license to carry or a Sportsman's Firearm Permit (good only for hunting and fishing).

Exceptions: No license is required:

to carry a firearm in one's home or fixed place of business.
    when engaged in target shooting or while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, so long as the firearm is unloaded and the ammunition is carried in a separate container.
    for law enforcement personnel, including: policemen, jail wardens, sheriffs and their deputies.
    to carry an unloaded and wrapped firearm from place of purchase to one's home or place of business, to or from a place of repair, "or in moving from one place of abode or business to another."
    to carry while hunting or fishing or going to the place of hunting or fishing, provided one has a hunting or fishing license and a Sportsman's Firearm Permit.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Inhimwelive View Post
    So you are saying as long as I'm not in a vehicle and the gun is exposed none of this applys?
    that is correct.

read what you posted closely...

"in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person"

if you are on foot, you are not in a vehicle. if the gun is exposed, it is not concealed.

thus, open carrying on foot does not meet either of the two requirements (being in a car or carrying *concealed*) necessary for the statute you quoted to apply.

(Wyoming County)

I guess that makes me wonder if people actually open carry with out a permit.. I bet the 1st question a leo is going to ask when he sees you carrying is let me see your permit... And I bet things are not gonna go easy after that.. Am I wrong? Another ? if you dont need a permit to carry while walking do you need one to hunt with a pistol?

(Luzerne County)

I guess that makes me wonder if people actually open carry with out a permit..
    I do not know of any. Most people drive/ride so it makes it impractical for sure.
    ETA: Everyone I personally know that open carries also has an LTCF. I OC all the time, but I drive everywhere
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...highlight=memo

I bet the 1st question a leo is going to ask when he sees you carrying is let me see your permit...
    If they know the law shouldn't be an issue. Again, probably not many people doing it w/out a LTCF.

Another ? if you dont need a permit to carry while walking do you need one to hunt with a pistol?
    No.

You need a LTCF to carry a non-hunting pistol when hunting (like carrying a glock for self defense while bow-hunting)butyou do not need a LTCF to hunt with a PGC rules allowed handgun (ex: 44mag for deer or a 22lr for squirrel) provided you carry them openly.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; September 20th, 2007 at 02:46 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I guess that makes me wonder if people actually open carry with out a permit..
    yes, people do:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...ny-county.html

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...in-county.html

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...-tioga-co.html

do a search for open carry on this forum, and you will find many other stories of open carry.

I bet the 1st question a leo is going to ask when he sees you carrying is let me see your permit...
    the answer to which should be "i am not required by law to have a permit to open carry in PA."

And I bet things are not gonna go easy after that.. Am I wrong? Another ?
    actually, it seems that people who have had contact with the police while open carrying have generally not had problems. there have, of course, been exceptions.

however, you are in the right and the LEO, if he hassles you, is in the wrong. if things go too "not easy", you could end up getting a nice payday outta the whole thing.

if you dont need a permit to carry while walking do you need one to hunt with a pistol?
    assuming you mean "handgun", you do not. be aware, however, that it is illegal in PA to hunt with any semi-automatic firearm. thus, you can only hunt with a revolver, not an actual (semi-auotmatic) pistol.

(Berks County)

I guess that makes me wonder if people actually open carry with out a permit.. I bet the 1st question a leo is going to ask when he sees you carrying is let me see your permit... And I bet things are not gonna go easy after that.. Am I wrong?
    Read some of the other threads in this forum; you'll find there's people that open carry, and do so without hassle.

Another ? if you dont need a permit to carry while walking do you need one to hunt with a pistol?
    Again, read through the "Concealed and Open Carry" forum; you'll find this has also been discussed.

The moral of the story: The Search feature on this site is your friend; you'll find many of your questions have already been asked and answered numerous times.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast