Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Open carry confusion

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    yes, people do:
    Red, he was speaking of people OC'ing without a permit.

actually, it seems that people who have had contact with the police while open carrying have generally not had problems. there have, of course, been exceptions.
    I concur. I have been seen OC'ing and never bothered... I also know a lot of LEO. Most know the law (well they do now) only a couple said they would probably stop me/you to "check you out" if they didn't know you.

But I know of an OC arrest local to me this year. Idiots tried to charge him with carrying without a license. Of course they let him go when they were explained the laws (by another LEO from a different dept.).

I sent them this:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...highlight=memo
    After I heard about that

Last edited by Pa. Patriot; September 20th, 2007 at 02:48 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Wyoming County)

Thanks Pa Patriot.. I have done a lot of reading on these issues on this and other forums and that actually is what prompted my questions. I have read the laws about hunting with a handgun but didnt find anything spelled out about whether I needed a permit or not. Except in the case of C C when bowhunting... Part of my ?s come from the fact that I am a new handgun owner and don't yet have a LTC. Honestly I'm wondering if I really need one.. The two main reasons I bought the gun was protection when I am backcountry hiking and camping and to carry when I am hunting...

And little red when I said "hunting with a pistol" I did mean handgun....maybe you just missed that... God bless, KT

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Inhimwelive View Post
    ...I have read the laws about hunting with a handgun but didnt find anything spelled out about whether I needed a permit or not. Except in the case of C C when bowhunting... Part of my ?s come from the fact that I am a new handgun owner and don't yet have a LTC. Honestly I'm wondering if I really need one.. The two main reasons I bought the gun was protection when I am backcountry hiking and camping and to carry when I am hunting...
    Just keep in mind that this is assuming open carry. you need a LTCF to carry concealed anywhere other than private property (yours or w/owners permission).
    Hunting or not. If your hunting you need a LTCF or sportsmans permit to CC while in the "public" woods. But not to OC.

Most people get the LTCF because then they are covered either way. Not to mention the vehicle issue. It's only $20-some and PA is "shall issue" meaning they can't turn your application down unless your a prohibited person.

(Wyoming County)

I already got the app but haven't submitted it yet.. In Lack they say its $31.. I am not a prohibited person buy am expecting to be delayed. 1) because I have a common name and 2) because I have a youthful offender charge about 25 years ago...

(Snyder County)

It is good to get a LTCF because if any time your shirt or coat falls over your pistol, it can be considered concealed. Most cops won't give you a problem, but you never know. Don't want to push them too hard.

And as far as the youthful offender charge, not sure what that is exactly, but as long as it isn't anything violent or a felony, you should be fine. I had my share of trouble with the law throughout my youth. I was even turned down on purchasing my first pistol right when I turned 21. But my LTCF I applied when I was 22 and it only took 3-4 days to get.

Edit: Also, if it was when you were under 18, I believe those records are sealed and do not show up on background checks. The court cases are still public record and are accessible, but I don't think they should show up through PICS. Can't hurt to try.
    Last edited by Zef_66; September 20th, 2007 at 03:52 PM.

(Allegheny County)

And little red when I said "hunting with a pistol" I did mean handgun....maybe you just missed that... God bless, KT
    just to clear up any confusion (which may not even exist, but i would hate to see you get in trouble because of confusion created here on this board):

"pistol" means semi-automatic handgun (i.e., not a revolver)

"revolver" means, well, revolver.

"handgun" means either a pistol or revolver.

in PA, you can hunt with a revolver, but not a pistol.

(you can, with an LTCF or sportmen's permit, carry a pistol for self-defense while hunting, but you cannot actually hunt with it.)

(Wyoming County)

Yea Red I guess I am confused ,, handguns were called pistols long before there was an automatic handgun.. A pistol is a small one hand held gun..In other words a handgun..( French Pistole) However I am not under the impression that I can hunt with an auto

(Lackawanna County)

Default Open carry confusion

How do you make the transition from OC to and from getting in your car? This may be an issue if you do not have a LTCF!

(Wyoming County)

Hey Pa Joe I see your just over the mountain.... To respond to your ? I would just have to continue following the laws.. Gun unloaded and gun and ammo in a seperate container. Load up after exiting vehicle...

However I am planning on getting my LTC later today... honestly I dont think I need it. But I am going to get it so I can avoid being hasseled in the future about carrying with out it... God bless

(Allegheny County)

Yea Red I guess I am confused ,, handguns were called pistols long before there was an automatic handgun.. A pistol is a small one hand held gun..In other words a handgun..( French Pistole) However I am not under the impression that I can hunt with an auto
    hmmm...you are correct.

i've shot with a number of (knowledgeable) people who use "pistol" to mean semi-auto handgun and don't consider a revolver to be a "pistol", and i picked up that incorrect definition along the way somewhere.

thanks for setting me straight.

of course, when you really think about it, how is a double-action revolver not considered a semi-auto anyway...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast