Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unusual serial number

Why does an old Colt .32 cal semi-auto pistol have a serial number starting with the letters ATF ? The patent dates are 1897-1903. I'd appreciate any info you can offer.

Default Re: Unusual serial number

Prior to the formation of ATF as an agency they were just a random selection of letters with no meaning. I'm sure you can find guns somewhere that have FBI, IRS, CIA, etc in there serial numbers that are totally coincidental.

(Montgomery County)

Another strong possibility is that either the original serial number was erased, or the pistol did not have one. Under those conditions, if sold through an FFL after 1968, it needed a serial number and the ATF will issue them. Dave_n

(Lebanon County)

i would bet the original number was removed or otherwise unreadable...depending what your idea of old is...10, 20, 40, 80 years old?
    most makers didn't start serial numbers with letters till the 70s or 80's.
    a refinish with excessive buffing and polishing could easily and without intention remove a serial number quickly.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Everything posted so far is plausible.

I didn't think of an ATF issued number but I do tend to agree with that.

It is most likely an ATF assigned serial number. The "ATF" should be followed by 6 digits which will indicate the office that assigned the serial number.

If it does have the 6 digits I can get you which office assigned the serial number. I'm not sure if you are interested in the history of the firearm, or just thought "ATF" on a gun was neat.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I do not believe that the ATF issues serial numbers for fireamrs made without them. I have purchased two such guns without serial numbers within the past 25 years which have been transferred thru FFLs, in the space for the serial number they merely wrote none.
    NRA Endownment & NRA Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by EZ1 View Post
    I do not believe that the ATF issues serial numbers for fireamrs made without them.
    They do. It doesn't have to be a firearm made without a serial number, it is also for serial numbers that have been obliterated whether through time, wear, etc.

Colt, for example, have always serilized their guns. In the time period of the OP's gun (turn of the century) Colts serial numbers were numeric, (123456) not alpha-numeric (ABC123).

So the fact it is a Colt made around the turn of the century with an alpha numeric serial number means the serial number is not original to the firearm.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    They do. It doesn't have to be a firearm made without a serial number, it is also for serial numbers that have been obliterated whether through time, wear, etc.

Colt, for example, have always serilized their guns. In the time period of the OP's gun (turn of the century) Colts serial numbers were numeric, (123456) not alpha-numeric (ABC123).

So the fact it is a Colt made around the turn of the century with an alpha numeric serial number means the serial number is not original to the firearm.
    Good to know. Still, I own at least 4 firearms without serial numbers, all of which I believe were produced without them, though at least two of the manufacturers have been out of business since before WWII. The newest dates to the late 1940's (Sears).
    NRA Endownment & NRA Pistol Instructor

Serial numbers were not required until the GCA of 1968. Most larger manufacturers (S&W, Colt, etc) were already serializing their firearms before 1968, but there were no federal regulations requiring them to do so.

Another neat fact is there are duplicate serial numbers out there. What would be neat as hell, to me at least, would be to get a pair of S&W revolvers with the same serial numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast