Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile Re: Unusual serial number

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    It is most likely an ATF assigned serial number. The "ATF" should be followed by 6 digits which will indicate the office that assigned the serial number.

If it does have the 6 digits I can get you which office assigned the serial number. I'm not sure if you are interested in the history of the firearm, or just thought "ATF" on a gun was neat.
    Thank you guys for all the great replies to my post. The .32 cal Colt serial number is ATF4800.11 This pistol appears to be very old with lots of wear. no blueing left or perhaps it had a nickel finish, not sure. The patent dates are 1897-1903 but manufacture date is unknown. The lettering reads: COLT AUTOMATIC, CALIBRE .32 RIMLESS SMOKELESS, PAT.APR.26,1897, DEC.22,1903, COLT'S PT.FA.MFG.CO., WATERFORD,CT.USA

I really appreciate all the assistance you can offer and for all the help you have already given. You guys are the best.

Default Re: Unusual serial number

Quote Originally Posted by marty7 View Post
    Thank you guys for all the great replies to my post. The .32 cal Colt serial number is ATF4800.11 This pistol appears to be very old with lots of wear. no blueing left or perhaps it had a nickel finish, not sure. The patent dates are 1897-1903 but manufacture date is unknown. The lettering reads: COLT AUTOMATIC, CALIBRE .32 RIMLESS SMOKELESS, PAT.APR.26,1897, DEC.22,1903, COLT'S PT.FA.MFG.CO., WATERFORD,CT.USA

I really appreciate all the assistance you can offer and for all the help you have already given. You guys are the best.
    Marty,

Sorry about the delay, I've had a few other things happening here. The ATF office codes start with a 7, so yours doesn't appear to be an ATF office code serial number. However, the Firearms Tech branch sometimes assigned serial numbers (which jacks up the whole tracing process, but that's another thread for another time). So at one time your pistol was probably sent to the ATF where the FTB assigned, then stamped/engraved the serial number on the gun.

Sorry I couldn't give you a definite answer as to where the serial number came from. I wish I could help out more, knowing the history, even something as mundane as serialization, makes the piece that much more interesting.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12