Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Some states reciprocity agreements don't seem to make sense.

One of the holdups for PA and OH to have reciprocity is said to be PA's lack of a training requirement.

In doing some research, I see that WA has reciprocity with OH and WV. But WA has no training requirement at all and yet OH will allow WA license holders to carry in OH.

And WV has a training requirement, but still PA does have reciprocity with them.

So my question is...if OH (which requires training for their license) can have reciprocity with states that don't require training...then why doesn't PA have reciprocity with OH?

I guess our AG doesn't get along with their AG???

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Some states reciprocity agreements don't seem to make sense.

It isn't about AG's getting along. Our's would rubber stamp agreements, since PA's licensing requirements is probably the lowest in the nation - so anyone we'd sign with would have had to gone through stricter controls.

We shouldn't have agreements with most of the ones that we do. How many states require training of the ones we've signed with? We can exclude Alaska from that, and maybe one or two others. ...the rest of them - by the truest adherence of the law, their authorized person should not have signed an agreement. Training is only one issue, some require fingerprinting.

The reason why we do have what we've received is because of the signing party of the other states using their own discretion. States that wont sign with us either force their signing agent to make sure our laws or licensing standards are up to par, or their signing party is a hardass.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 9th, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It isn't about AG's getting along. Our's would rubber stamp agreements, since PA's licensing requirements is probably the lowest in the nation - so anyone we'd sign with would have had to gone through stricter controls.

We shouldn't have agreements with most of the ones that we do. How many states require training of the ones we've signed with? We can exclude Alaska from that, and maybe one or two others. ...the rest of them - by the truest adherence of the law, their authorized person should not have signed an agreement. Training is only one issue, some require fingerprinting.

The reason why we do have what we've received is because of the signing party of the other states using their own discretion. States that wont sign with us either force their signing agent to make sure our laws or licensing standards are up to par, or their signing party is a hardass.

WV, VA, NC, TN, KY, LA, MO, TX, OK, ND, WY, CO, AZ, UT, ID

What I find interesting...in looking at this...every one of these states that require training..and yet are Shall Issue...
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; April 9th, 2010 at 11:30 PM.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the WV/PA agreement was an exception because we're neighbors. WV seemed to go out of its way to sign all of the closer states, then move out to more distant ones.
    As far as PA/OH goes, there are other things which can get in the way, like the 24-hour permit information access, different disqualifying criteria,exc. I don't know the specifics unfortunately. Maybe the Ohio folks can get on their AG to sign w/PA.

WVCDL has a map at http://www.wvcdl.org/WVCCW.html which shows states that won't sign w/WV because of problems with their law or ours.

One element is that there is reciprocity but then there's something called "honor". I'll use IN and PA just as an example to explain the way I understand this.

Reciprocity only occurs when IN acknowledges PA permits and PA acknowledges IN permits in return.

However if IN and PA did not have reciprocity one state or the other could still "honor" the others permit.

Is that the way everyone else undestands that?

(Allegheny County)

the hangup might be something other than training.

they may have a more stringent list of disqualifying crimes, they may require fingerprints, may require an FBI background check, or who knows.
    F*S=k

(Lackawanna County)

But my Utah permit works there, so...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    One element is that there is reciprocity but then there's something called "honor". I'll use IN and PA just as an example to explain the way I understand this.

Reciprocity only occurs when IN acknowledges PA permits and PA acknowledges IN permits in return.

However if IN and PA did not have reciprocity one state or the other could still "honor" the others permit.

Is that the way everyone else undestands that?
    Yes, some states like IN honor everyone elses permits, then states like FL will automatically recognize IN in turn. Some states will only recognize certain permits unconditionally.
    I think(and someone will need to correct me) PA will only sign into reciprocity agreements. They can't unilaterally recognize another state's permit.I want to say OH is the same.
    Maybe PAFOA would like to contact the AG and ask specifically to try to get OH reciprocity or find out what is standing in the way?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I think(and someone will need to correct me) PA will only sign into reciprocity agreements. They can't unilaterally recognize another state's permit.
    Not correct. Note particularly categories 1-3 from the AG's website:
    The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania currently has formal written reciprocity agreements with fourteen states that recognize a valid license to carry firearms issued by Pennsylvania. Conversely, Pennsylvania recognizes valid firearm carry licenses/permits from those states. In addition to the 14 formal agreements, other forms of reciprocity are applicable.

Category 1: States that have entered into written reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania. (Title 18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6109(k))

Category 2: States that have statutory reciprocity under 6106(b)(15) of the Uniform Firearms Act.

Category 3: Unilateral reciprocity granted by another state for Pennsylvania license holders.

Category 4: Pennsylvanians may apply for a license/permit from another state.

Category 5: State does not recognize or grant licenses/permits to individuals from another state, currently does not extend reciprocal privileges to Pennsylvania license holders, or has not indicated current status.

Category 6: Carry permitted without license/permit.
    I want to say OH is the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Maybe PAFOA would like to contact the AG and ask specifically to try to get OH reciprocity or find out what is standing in the way?
    The AG (in person) indicated over two years ago that he was "working on it" and that we should "hang in there".
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lackawanna County)

Firstly (to get it out of the way), we should not need licenses (or 'permits') to carry firearms in this, or any other, State - period; for the same reason we should not need licenses to: be Christian or Jewish or any other religion, peacefully gather and express what is on our mind, face our accusers in court during a speedy trial by our peers, petition the government for redress of grievances, print something up on paper and hand it out, not be slaves, vote (as long as we are 18 or older) regardless if we are minorities or women, et cetera. Requiring a 'license' or 'permit' for *any* of these things (including owning and carrying arms) is pretty darned unAmerican in my book - and, that "book" would be the Constitution.

Why is there 'static' and confusion regarding reciprocity among States for licenses/permits to keep and bear arms? My guess would be - all of the above (posts are, at least partially, correct). Part of it is probably simple 'bureaucracy", some of it could be "politics", and who knows what else - maybe even a degree of corruption. After all, the fact that licenses and/or permits are required at all signals that there is a 'corruption' of our American principals to me.
    Last edited by Bruce; April 11th, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast