Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plinked around last night

There's a guy at my gun club whom I've gotten to know somewhat, and he mentioned he has some 22's he plinks with. So I asked if I could bring my son along and meet him there some time to plink around. So I picked up some ammo (yes, I actually found ammo right away) and we went last night.

Man, it was fun. All I've ever really shot with any volume of rounds was my 38 snubby. So this was cool... and more so for my son (15) who wanted to shoot something that wasn't such a kick to handle, and had more accuracy.

The guy brought a Walther P22. I shot a few mags of that, and my son shot several. He took to it like he'd been shooting it for years. When I first got ahold of it, I was fumbling around for the mag release, how to work the slide... etc, but he just watched the guy do it once, and worked it like it was his own. And fun to shoot! Nice to have something that will hit a target 20 yds away without barely trying.

He also had a Walther P99. That was cool to shoot too. My son also tried that. It just felt good in my hands.

He also had a Heritage Arms Rough Rider - 22 revolver... SA-only. All he had with him was the mag cylinder, and unfortunately, the only 22 mag ammo he had with him had been sitting in water in the basement for some time. They were all duds. Wish I'd known we needed 22 mag ammo - I wouldn't tried to pick some up.

And yes, the whole time I'm thinking I should've brought my camera.

But I have to tell ya - here's a guy - he barely knows me from Adam, and welcomes me and my son to come shoot his guns all we want. He also wanted to try out my 38, so he did that for a bit.

In general, gun people are some of the most generous and easy-going people I know.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Plinked around last night

Everyone should own a .22. They're just so darn fun and economical to shoot. Great for kids and beginners. If I didn't have a .22 I'd shoot far less.

Pretty much any time I'm at the range, I end up trading guns with someone I've never met and trying out each others stuff.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Hokkmike Guest

If there are only one or two people at the range with me, I usually offer to let them shoot my guns. If there are a lot, well - maybe if I strike up a conversation with the guy at the next shooting table I will.

I agree with your assessment.

(York County)

I'll fully agree with the .22 AND the friendliness of gun owners. There are very few times that i leave the range and don't trade off weapons with someone.

And besides, is there anything more entertaining than the huge grin on a dad's face when I hand his son a modded out AR15 with three rounds and say "put that red dot on the target and just pull the trigger"?
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Monroe County)

Love my 22lr. They are what allow me to go shoot as much as I do and have allowed me to introduce many people to the joys of shooting.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    In general, gun people are some of the most generous and easy-going people I know.
    I agree and this has been one of the best "fringe benefits" to gun ownership so far. I enjoy letting other people try my guns as much as I enjoy trying their guns.

I think I'm gonna have to get a 22 some time soon.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Allegheny County)

Can't agree more about .22's. You just can't own enough. I take one every time I go to the range. Sometimes 2 :-)

My screen name ain't PennsyPlinker for nothing. I have been shooting .22LR since the early 70s, and it is still my favorite caliber for recreation. Despite the increase in the cost of ammo, a box of bulk load is still cheaper than an evening at the movies, and still a whole lot more fun.

(Schuylkill County)

Out of curiosity, how was the Walther? My limited experience with small caliber semi autos isn't very good, but I would love a few .22 semis to cheaply work fundamentals.
    Last edited by DonSmithnotTMD; April 9th, 2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast