Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default New P229 Shoots Low (Could be Me): RESOLVED

I always like to provide a little background, as I'm sure it could be a factor:

I've fired many thousands of rounds through my CZ-75B, and do pretty well with it. No sharp-shooter to be sure, but I can tear some holes through the 8,9, and 10 rings with good groupings.

Did, eh, semi OK with my Springfield XDm .40 S&W, but certainly, nowhere near as good as with my CZ. Only had the Springfield out to the range twice.

Had the SIG P229 Elite (in .40 S&W) out to the range just once. All shots were consistently low (to 6 o'clock), and I mean low, as in the white space of the target, outside the rings completely. One of those "where the heck did they go?" things.

I am very new to the SIG, and new to .40 pistols in general.

So, having said all that, on my next trip to the range, I'm gonna grab a bench rest and request that one of the range instructors take the helm, to rule out me as the factor, and see what's really going on.

But, still, this seems odd to me. And, on the P229, is the rear sight not adjustable per se, but rather, replaceable?

If it is the pistol, being new: Back to the dealer (Tanner's), or a call to SIG Sauer for an RMA?

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

[Edit: Resolved, but well worth a read.]
    Last edited by marks; April 11th, 2010 at 10:15 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New P229 Shoots Low (Could be Me)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    So, having said all that, on my next trip to the range, I'm gonna grab a bench rest and request that one of the range instructors take the helm, to rule out me as the factor, and see what's really going on.
    Definitely where you want to start. Rule out if it's you or not. Given that you've fired other pistols without this problem, doesn't sound like it's you, but you never know.

Could you be doing any of this? http://xacho0.tripod.com/chart.htm

If it is the pistol, being new: Back to the dealer (Tanner's), or a call to SIG Sauer for an RMA?
    Absolutely if you determine it's the gun.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Monroe County)

I've noticed with the Sigs, and especially with those that have night sights (which I believe the elites do) they tend to prefer completely blocking out the point of impact with the dot as opposed to being lined up right under the point of impact...I know you said its a drastic "off target" but try aiming this way instead of traditional, see if it helps.

In other words, where the dot is is point of impact, not right above the dot.

(Montgomery County)

The first thing to do is check the numbers on the sights.

A P229 chambered in .40S&W should have a #6 front sight and a #8 rear sight.

If they are correct, the next thing I'd try is to let someone else shoot the gun and see how they do with it.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Two very good pieces of info were imparted above - dead-on hold (no 6 o'clock / POA = POI), and check the numbers on the sights.

I'll add one more - I believe that Sig .40 S&W sights are regulated using 180 gr ammo. Lighter bullets will shoot lower. So if you are using 155 gr or 165 gr, that may be part or all of your problem, dependent on the distance.

Probably won't need an RMA. Just call Sig service, tell them the steps you've taken to rule out you as a factor and they'll probably send you a new sight. Ask for Victoria when you call.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

All great info above from real experts. I can add one more tiny bit, let a friend shoot it. Heck, let a few friends or acquaintances shoot it to see how it prints. Rarely is the gun at fault...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    All great info above from real experts. I can add one more tiny bit, let a friend shoot it. Heck, let a few friends or acquaintances shoot it to see how it prints. Rarely is the gun at fault...
    I'd volunteer to take it for a test run

I've got two P229's chambered in .40S&W that I'll bring for the OP to try.

Classic Pistol anyone???

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Definitely where you want to start. Rule out if it's you or not. Given that you've fired other pistols without this problem, doesn't sound like it's you, but you never know.

Could you be doing any of this? http://xacho0.tripod.com/chart.htm
    I sure could. The 7 o'clock trigger jerk is something I have to be conscious of. That's possible. Thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    The first thing to do is check the numbers on the sights.

A P229 chambered in .40S&W should have a #6 front sight and a #8 rear sight.

If they are correct, the next thing I'd try is to let someone else shoot the gun and see how they do with it.
    Thanks. So hard to see. I see what looks like MH3 AJ on both front and rear. Can't make out any number on the front sight, but the rear sight does have what looks like an 8 stamped into it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I've noticed with the Sigs, and especially with those that have night sights (which I believe the elites do) they tend to prefer completely blocking out the point of impact with the dot as opposed to being lined up right under the point of impact...I know you said its a drastic "off target" but try aiming this way instead of traditional, see if it helps.

In other words, where the dot is is point of impact, not right above the dot.
    Understood, thanks. I'll check that out. And yes, they are night sights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast